Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "singersp" wrote:
    So who really cares if there are subtle differences. Like you said, you had to look long & hard to even notice those.
    If the quality is good enough (it sounds like it is, and there's no reason a high-quality jersey can't be made overseas for much less than $40), then the only people that care are the ones that paid the NFL a lot of money for licensing rights.
    They did that so they could stick a $275 markup on a $25 jersey.
    They figure you'll pay because nobody else can use the Vikings logo, and because fake Packers logos don't burn as well or work right in vodoo rituals.

    Buying a good fake is kind of like downloading music.
    The fake works as well for you as the original and you're not stealing from Reebok directly, but there are a bunch of people that buy these cheap fakes instead of lining Reebok's pockets.
    Of course, that makes the people at Reebok very sad.
    Unlike the music industry, the NFL and Reebok probably won't go after you, their fans, because in this case the distributor is pretty easy to find.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  2. #22
    ItalianStallion's Avatar
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    So who really cares if there are subtle differences. Like you said, you had to look long & hard to even notice those.
    If the quality is good enough (it sounds like it is, and there's no reason a high-quality jersey can't be made overseas for much less than $40), then the only people that care are the ones that paid the NFL a lot of money for licensing rights.
    They did that so they could stick a $275 markup on a $25 jersey.
    They figure you'll pay because nobody else can use the Vikings logo, and because fake Packers logos don't burn as well or work right in vodoo rituals.

    Buying a good fake is kind of like downloading music.
    The fake works as well for you as the original and you're not stealing from Reebok directly, but there are a bunch of people that buy these cheap fakes instead of lining Reebok's pockets.
    Of course, that makes the people at Reebok very sad.
    Unlike the music industry, the NFL and Reebok probably won't go after you, their fans, because in this case the distributor is pretty easy to find.
    I'm sure most people don't feel to bad they're not lining Reebok or the NFL's pockets for ridiculously overpriced Jerseys.
    Either way your buying them from sweatshops, in all likelyhood.
    The only difference is that you keep your money instead of Reebok.


    I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

  3. #23
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "HerdDaVikes" wrote:
    I bought it from bigv06, it is an awesome jersey. It was delivered yesterday. This was my first white jersey. I wonder how easily beer and wing sauce come out in the wash....
    Be very careful with the "authentic" jersey with the stitched on names/numbers when it comes time to wash them.  Just like the silk screens will fade out after time, the stitching will pull going through a rigorous washer machine sequence. 

    I washed my authentic jersey by hand 3 times and had no problems.  My mother in law stayed with us one week and happened to put my jersey in the washer machine you can see places where the stitching has frayed/pulled, even after one wash. 

    As to the actual ebay jersey... i am right there with Singer.  A fake authentic looks much better than the replicas.

  4. #24
    JDogg926's Avatar
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,786

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    I'm wearing mine now.
    I'll have to be careful with the washer thing.
    I've noticed slight freying around the stitching before even washing it after reading something about fakes.
    I actually thought I was buying a replica, but at first was extremely happy to find an "authentic".
    But, it is nice than a real replica.
    I kind of like the replicas though, you don't have to be quite as careful with them.
    I've found no problems in washing replicas, I just hang dry them.
    I think the heat from the dryer is what makes the silkscreens peel.
    And judging from a search on ebay, there's sure to be plenty of people sporting "authentic" AP jerseys this year.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

  5. #25
    Turboe's Avatar
    Turboe is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "HerdDaVikes" wrote:
    I bought it from bigv06, it is an awesome jersey. It was delivered yesterday. This was my first white jersey. I wonder how easily beer and wing sauce come out in the wash....
    Be very careful with the "authentic" jersey with the stitched on names/numbers when it comes time to wash them.
    Just like the silk screens will fade out after time, the stitching will pull going through a rigorous washer machine sequence.


    I washed my authentic jersey by hand 3 times and had no problems.
    My mother in law stayed with us one week and happened to put my jersey in the washer machine you can see places where the stitching has frayed/pulled, even after one wash.


    As to the actual ebay jersey... i am right there with Singer.
    A fake authentic looks much better than the replicas.
    I think most of mine in the past anyway have been the "Real" authentic, but I have never had any problem with the stitching on any of my authentics after coming out in the wash.
    Including the #99 Hovan that I bought for next to nothing and had changed into a #99 James jersey by the local sporting goods store that does Tackle-Twill lettering. They are all working well.
    I just washed Moss this morning as he has now been relegated to around the house wear during the offseason.

    However, you now have me cautious as to how to handle my recent Peterson jersey purchase.
    Since these counterfeit jerseys seem to be much more prevalent now than I think they were years past.

  6. #26
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm wearing mine now.
    I'll have to be careful with the washer thing.
    I've noticed slight freying around the stitching before even washing it after reading something about fakes.
    I actually thought I was buying a replica, but at first was extremely happy to find an "authentic".
    But, it is nice than a real replica.
    I kind of like the replicas though, you don't have to be quite as careful with them.
    I've found no problems in washing replicas, I just hang dry them.
    I think the heat from the dryer is what makes the silkscreens peel.
    And judging from a search on ebay, there's sure to be plenty of people sporting "authentic" AP jerseys this year.
    Never put a replica jersey through the dryer. I don't even put my authentics through the dryer.

    If you can't wash them by hand, at least put them on the gentlest cycle there is. Another tip for washing all jerseys is to turn them inside out first. Use cool or warm water, never hot.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #27
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,991

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    Very good points singer. Personally I say never ever dry your jerseys, only use cold water and use the gentlest cycle, but that's just me.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  8. #28
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Very good points singer. Personally I say never ever dry your jerseys, only use cold water and use the gentlest cycle, but that's just me.
    I don't really recommend warm either, but if they insist on not using cold, it's better to use warm than hot.

    The warm in my washer isn't really that warm at all, slightly more than room temp.

    Another tip........Don't wash your jerseys with other clothes.

    I never use the dryer either. If I need to dry it faster, I'll have the jersey on a hanger & hang it over a floor heat vent tospeed up the process.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #29
    brendan8 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8

    Re: Gotta Love EBAY!

    Just got a throwback Fran Tarkenton jersey on Ebay ($21.50 plus shipping, etc.).
    I am a small person, so I was worried the authentic jerseys even at 48 would be too big.
    This one was a medium which should be fine.


    Got the jersey, now how about starting the season!


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Gotta Love Pop Rocks
    By Garland Greene in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
  2. I love eBay!
    By PurplePride80 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 12:07 AM
  3. Gotta Love the attitude
    By DarrinNelsonguy in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 04:56 AM
  4. You gotta see this!
    By ultravikingfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 06:42 AM
  5. Gotta have Moe!
    By Freya in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 09:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •