Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Frazier thought Ponder was a franchise QB, the worst CB in the nfl, Robinson, would get better, Cook, and Sherels could play CB, Henderson was a Mike linebacker, Joe Webb deserved a roster spot, and Patterson was too raw to play receiver most of the season.
    Does anyone really think Frazier deserves another year ?
    No

  2. #22
    ConnecticutViking's Avatar
    ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Frazier thought Ponder was a franchise QB, the worst CB in the nfl, Robinson, would get better, Cook, and Sherels could play CB, Henderson was a Mike linebacker, Joe Webb deserved a roster spot, and Patterson was too raw to play receiver most of the season.
    Does anyone really think Frazier deserves another year ?
    You hit it right on the head, this staff can not evaluate talent! They are unable to put the right people in the right positions and are unwilling to adjust schemes to fit the strengths of our players. Routinely, we are outcoached, how many games have we blown in the second half? How many times have we complained about AD getting the ball only 12-13 times? I didn't like it when Frazier was picked, it's time to start fresh.

  3. #23
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    402
    Frazier seems like a nice guy, but I think Terry Bradshaw said it best when he was talking about all the coaches in the league that have no respect from their players. Friendship, affection, yes, respect no. He said they do not belong in HC positions.

    Players should see their lack of production as an embarrassment, and a potential job killer; not an opportunity to throw a temper tantrum on twitter. There is ZERO fear in our players of their HC; he is their friend, remember?

    players lose their job when they perform badly, and HCs lose their jobs when the team performs badly. How have we forgotten this? Accountability is #1 in importance, and there is very little in our team, like many others.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

  4. #24
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    The stage for his firing was set in the preseason as far as I am concerned. Frazier went into the pre season by anointing Ponder as the starter and not mandating that he earn the position through his play. Then, during the pre season when many of us were questioning him on why he was treating Ponder like he was a proven commodity and giving him more pre season reps to get the offense on track he assured everyone that once the season started they would be ready to go and the offense would click.

    In the first game it became totally obvious that he didn't know what he was talking about and that he grossly overestimated how prepared the team was to play at an NFL level and that is when the "Watch the tape, fix some things" era kicked off.

    The fact is there were problems with the team that the average Rube could see and call out, yet the HC either couldn't see it himself or he did nothing to correct the problem and stubbornly stuck to a roster and schemes that were ineffective and inefficient.

    This was probably never a SB roster no matter who was the coach but with the proper coaching the talent on this roster could have and should have won the division in a year where the top teams had QB troubles of their own. For that reason there is no correct solution except to change the coaching staff completely. I would also like to change the GM and the Owner but that doesn't look too likely.

  5. #25
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The stage for his firing was set in the preseason as far as I am concerned. Frazier went into the pre season by anointing Ponder as the starter and not mandating that he earn the position through his play. Then, during the pre season when many of us were questioning him on why he was treating Ponder like he was a proven commodity and giving him more pre season reps to get the offense on track he assured everyone that once the season started they would be ready to go and the offense would click.

    In the first game it became totally obvious that he didn't know what he was talking about and that he grossly overestimated how prepared the team was to play at an NFL level and that is when the "Watch the tape, fix some things" era kicked off.

    The fact is there were problems with the team that the average Rube could see and call out, yet the HC either couldn't see it himself or he did nothing to correct the problem and stubbornly stuck to a roster and schemes that were ineffective and inefficient.

    This was probably never a SB roster no matter who was the coach but with the proper coaching the talent on this roster could have and should have won the division in a year where the top teams had QB troubles of their own. For that reason there is no correct solution except to change the coaching staff completely. I would also like to change the GM and the Owner but that doesn't look too likely.
    We always assume that Fraiser had a say in all these decisions. Yes he is the head coach but like he has said many times, the QB decision was not his alone. I believe that he was forced to play Ponder. The team had to see what he had. They could not leave a ghost of a 1st round QB sitting out there.

  6. #26
    johnkdbr's Avatar
    johnkdbr is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    34
    I really believe we will have a new HC for 2014. I really like the Bengals DC. We need a HC that brings accountability & attitude. With that said, it's such a crap shoot. Will he bring in a OC that will take advantage of AP, Patterson, Jennings & Rudolph? Will he bring in a DC that can make the right adjustments? How bout Shannahan? Good chance he will be available in 2014. I really like Bellicheck too. I just hope the Vikes front office puts egos aside and picks a head coach that can finally take us to the promise land.

  7. #27
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,853
    Also... what happened to all of the Rick Speilman love from the off season. I remember being insulted because I pointed out that he was an imbecile. Where has the unwavering support gone?

  8. #28
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    859
    There has been some recent noise about the role of continuity, stability, and longevity of front office and coaching staffs in the NFL.
    And while it would appear that successful franchises have that long term stability in their staffs, it is ridiculous to think that continuity alone is responsible for that success. In fact it is the other way around. Success and a talented staff leads to longevity and continuity.
    It is foolish to stand behind an inferior staff with the hope that continuity or longevity will somehow transform the team to championship form.
    Bring in the right talent, longevity, continuity, and success will follow.

  9. #29
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We always assume that Fraiser had a say in all these decisions. Yes he is the head coach but like he has said many times, the QB decision was not his alone. I believe that he was forced to play Ponder. The team had to see what he had. They could not leave a ghost of a 1st round QB sitting out there.
    Whether he was forced to play Ponder or not is irrelevant. He still had the opportunity to play him extensively in the pre season and use that time to get the offense to work as well as it could rather than sitting him like he was an HOF player. And if he didn't think Ponder was the right guy, what better way to expose that than having him throw 40-50 passes each pre season game like they did with Freeman in his one game? He was also responsible for the LB decisions and it seems to most fans and the coaches now that Henderson was not the best choice for MLB yet Frazier kept him in there while he floundered.

    If all that was forced on him he should have quit straight up and walked away. If he stayed anyway and that was the case then he has no spine and I don't want him.

  10. #30
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,275
    I think Ponder will likely be on the team next year, as a backup. His contract is 100% guaranteed, so unless we can trade him he will count for 3.2 million in cap space whether we keep him or cut him. He's essentially a free player.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •