Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good thing Vikings rely on passing, not running game

[size=10pt]Good thing Vikings rely on passing, not running game[/size]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15366729.htm

TOM POWERS
    The Vikings probably don't need all that much of a running game in their new Dink 'Em Dizzy offense. They just need a little bit of productivity to give defenses something to think about. That way, very large and sweaty linemen won't be able to spend all game trying to turn 37-year-old Brad Johnson into goulash.

But so far Chester Taylor hasn't been the answer. Well, unless the question is: What costs $14.1 million and is mediocre?

Perhaps as the offensive line becomes more efficient, Taylor will do the same. There isn't a lot of time left.

"I believe we're making progress," said Taylor, who rushed for 27 yards on 10 carries. "They were playing five down linemen. It's always hard to run against that. But by the time the season starts, we'll come full out."

It's worrisome but not as critical as it could be if the Vikings were running something other than the Dink 'Em Dizzy. Brad Childress' version of the West Coast offense seems perfect for Johnson, who can accurately whip those little passes in there all game long.

Johnson doesn't even need a clear-cut No. 1 wide receiver. Just give him three or four guys who can hold onto the ball in traffic. He has been solid so far.

It also should be mentioned that these exhibition games sometimes can be worse than meaningless. They often create false impressions. So maybe everyone cranks it up for the season opener at Washington, and we all forget that the running game ever looked wimpy.

We do know the coaching staff wasn't all that thrilled with Taylor for missing some of the optional workouts over the summer. In any event, he hasn't come flying out of the starting blocks.

Taylor had trouble getting his legs moving against Baltimore. Maybe it was because Ravens linebackers had their arms wrapped around his legs quite often. Toward the end of the first half, Taylor got poked in the eye and left.

That probably caused a few heart palpitations on the sideline. Earlier in the half, Ciatrick Fason banged his shoulder and had to leave. And I know this is going to come as a shock to many of you, but Mewelde Moore had health issues and didn't dress.

Moore, the slowest healer in the NFL, has a knee issue. So the Vikings are thin as well as unproductive in the backfield. Rookie Wendell Mathis, a long shot at best to make the team, ended up playing with the first-team offense. And the second-team offense. And the third-team offense. He finished with 41 yards on 10 carries and one blown pass protection that resulted in a quarterback sack.

"He's done some good things," Childress noted.

Again, the Vikings don't need a superstar back there. I've always figured a healthy Moore could do the job. But I've never really seen a healthy Moore, so I'm just guessing. Taylor, anointed the No. 1 back by virtue of his high-profile free agency signing, needs to do better than 10 carries for 27 yards.

Yet if Childress is worried, he isn't letting on. Instead, after his team's 30-7 victory, he gave us a pithy saying:

"It's not the quality of the rush, it's the quantity of the rush. It's not the quantity of the pass, it's the quality of the pass."

Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor takes warning.

See? I know one, too.

Anyway, it's always difficult to tell what's a mirage and what isn't during the exhibition season. Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, the people's choice, continues to impress against the opposition's second and/or third defensive unit. The linebacking corps, everyone's concern of choice over the summer, seems capable.

In fact, Minnesota's entire first-string defense looked terrific against the Ravens. If that's for real, you or I could become the featured running back and it wouldn't matter. The defense was that good.

Hey, middle linebacker Napoleon Harris received a penalty for taunting early in the game. That was the first time I've even noticed him in more than a year.

Tom Powers can be reached at [email protected]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Good thing Vikings rely on passing, not running game

[size=10pt]Jackson still in spotlight[/size]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15366738.htm

Rookie QB again outperforms McMahon
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press
    Mike McMahon was the first quarterback off the bench for the Vikings on Friday night in probably his last, best chance to make up ground in the race for the No. 2 job.

But rookie Tarvaris Jackson once again stole the show.

Jackson completed just 2 of 4 passes for 80 yards in two series of work in the Vikings' 30-7 exhibition win over the Baltimore Ravens, but one went to rookie wide receiver Jason Carter for a 77-yard touchdown.

That was enough to give Jackson the edge on McMahon, who had a 30-yard completion to Carter but finished just 2 of 5 for 36 yards in the two thirdquarter series he played.

Coach Brad Childress dodged a postgame question about his backup quarterbacks, but the Metrodome crowd of 63,257 made its preference known, booing McMahon's entrance and first incompletion and erupting in cheers when Jackson entered with 42 seconds left in the third quarter.

"This was my first time really hearing it," Jackson said of the reception. "It makes you feel good."

It was another feel-good night for Jackson, who might have been angling for an endorsement deal with his answer to a question about the chemistry between him and Carter.

"Yeah, 7-11," Jackson said in a reference to their jersey numbers. "He's making a habit of those plays. I've just got to get him the football, and he can take care of the rest."

Carter also provided McMahon with his only highlight with that 30-yard catch on the veteran quarterback's first series.

That drive ended with McMahon taking a 9-yard sack, and he was 0 for 3 on the Vikings' next possession, missing high on a third-down pass to an open Carter that forced Minnesota to settle for a 38-yard Ryan Longwell field goal and a 13-0 lead.

"If we hit it, it would have been six," McMahon said of his third-down miss. "I was just slightly off. I kind of rushed it."

McMahon said he thought his performance was a step up from the previous week in Pittsburgh but that he still has a lot of room for improvement.

As for the crowd reaction, he said he didn't hear it.

"That's going to happen," he said. "Any time you have a performance like last week and you come out and throw an incompletion, it's to be expected. You just block it out."

Almost lost in all the attention on the No. 2 quarterback race was another efficient performance by starter Brad Johnson, who completed 9 of 15 passes for 95 yards in exactly one half of work.

If not for a couple of drops by receiver Travis Taylor, both on third down, Johnson's passing numbers would have been even better.

He also nearly had receiver Marcus Robinson for a 32-yard touchdown, but officials correctly ruled Robinson's right foot came down out of bounds

"We wanted to start off fast, and I thought we did that, came away with one field goal," Johnson said. "I felt like we dominated the first quarter. I thought we did some good things. I think we've gotten better. We've still got a long ways to go, but I feel like it was a good night for us."

Johnson has completed 23 of 32 passes (72 percent) for 198 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions this preseason.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

with the way B.j plays this quick route and run after ya catch offence is gonna open up running lanes for RB's. be it anybody.. and just watch.. most of the runs were to the right. i think B.chill is playin a disguise for teams.. and watch them do lots of left side sprints.

like most poeple and i repeat over and over.. lets wait till the regular season!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [size=10pt]Jackson still in spotlight[/size]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15366738.htm

"Yeah, 7-11," Jackson said in a reference to their jersey numbers. "He's making a habit of those plays. I've just got to get him the football, and he can take care of the rest."
    If Jason Carter is kept in the squad I can see that becoming a catch-phrase.

chug o nomics is offline Training Camp

Jackson-Carter connection.
    I'm digging the thought off Tarvaris escaping KGB and launching the ball over a burnt Al Harris for Carter.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"It's not the quality of the rush, it's the quantity of the rush. It's not the quantity of the pass, it's the quality of the pass."

Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor takes warning.

See? I know one, too.
    So do I.......

Those that can, do. Those that can't, write inane articles about those who do.

About the only thing in this article I agreed with, this early in the season, was his comment about Moore being the slowest healer in the NFL.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Articnv is offline Coach

it me not seme liek the
    runnign game is there but
    we are
    simple doign vanila
    regualr season si were the game plan will coem put and the runnign
    game should be tons better

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

lol, i love how much he was bashing moore..

and ya, i agree, who ever it is taylor or moore or whoever, our offense was moving the ball effectively and our defense was keeping them at bay, i think we'll be fine come regular season

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Del Rio Guest

When did people start expecting us to have a good running game anyway? This is the WCO. It's not a surprise.

SJHILL is offline Starter

I think that they can't get the running game going, because they are running to their right, whereas they will be running to their left more during the regular season(Hutch and McKinnie's side)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast