Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Good Smoot article

why dont you read the article above and i dont even have to prove any more points.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Smoot's poor performance was a combination of events...as is pointed out in the article...much like Daunte's poor performance had been this season.

In Smoot's case, the lack of Safety help killed him...and us. With the new "Pro-Receiver" Rules in the NFL, the era of the "Shut Down Corner" has officially ended. Defensive backs are no longer allowed to be better than the receivers they cover...even if they are. With the help of the new rules, an enitirely new crop of "Elite" receivers has emerged. Guys who used to be considered good are now great. While Corners who once stood out are now simply speed bumps.

Add to that our inept Defensive coordinator, and you can see why our secondary is struggling. We didn't stop Green Bay until we doubled Driver. We never doubled Smith. Any question as to why the results were as bad as they were can be answered by simply stating, "Cottrell was too stupid to adjust his scheme....again".

All that said, Smoot hasn't been - yet - what we all thought he would be. He hasn't locked down his side of the field. He hasn't hawked balls. He hasn't made big plays. But that same criticism can be applied universally to our entire Defense. And with the depth of talent we have there, that simply shouldn't be happening.

So, while Smoot gets the "credit" for a horrible game, I place much more stock in the qwuote that Winfield fired off after the game when he hinted (rtather directly) that there is no leadership from our DC, the play calling is abbysmal, and that no one is being put in a position to succeed.

Firing Ted Cottrell NOW would do a lot to revive our Defense...even if we didn't replace him.

Caine

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"FuadFan" wrote:
    There are no shutdown corners in football today and I 'm not really going to think that badly of him when he played great to contribute to the two wins and that Cotrell was such a bonehead in not giving him some backup help for their only WR.
    Amen Brother!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Smoot's poor performance was a combination of events...as is pointed out in the article...much like Daunte's poor performance had been this season.

In Smoot's case, the lack of Safety help killed him...and us. With the new "Pro-Receiver" Rules in the NFL, the era of the "Shut Down Corner" has officially ended. Defensive backs are no longer allowed to be better than the receivers they cover...even if they are. With the help of the new rules, an enitirely new crop of "Elite" receivers has emerged. Guys who used to be considered good are now great. While Corners who once stood out are now simply speed bumps.

Add to that our inept Defensive coordinator, and you can see why our secondary is struggling. We didn't stop Green Bay until we doubled Driver. We never doubled Smith. Any question as to why the results were as bad as they were can be answered by simply stating, "Cottrell was too stupid to adjust his scheme....again".

All that said, Smoot hasn't been - yet - what we all thought he would be. He hasn't locked down his side of the field. He hasn't hawked balls. He hasn't made big plays. But that same criticism can be applied universally to our entire Defense. And with the depth of talent we have there, that simply shouldn't be happening.

So, while Smoot gets the "credit" for a horrible game, I place much more stock in the qwuote that Winfield fired off after the game when he hinted (rtather directly) that there is no leadership from our DC, the play calling is abbysmal, and that no one is being put in a position to succeed.

Firing Ted Cottrell NOW would do a lot to revive our Defense...even if we didn't replace him.

Caine
    Amen my Brotha!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Smoot got roasted...by his safeties and defensive coordinator...as much as he got toasted by Smith! NO other CB could have covered Smith under the circumstances!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12