Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    bigbadragz's Avatar
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    823

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    oh my god.
    i've been saying this since joining this site and people have been crucifying me.
    look at the offensive stats they ran off.
    for those who have said we were not that bad on offense must not have watched many games, cuz it was nauseating.
    the sacks we gave up, the penalties, the 3 and outs.
    it was so frustrating, as has this offseason.
    they better have a good plan of action from this point forward cuz we are gonna have major problems on offense otherwise.
    but i'm sure someone will pop up and say we shouldnt blow our 30 million dollar cap space on mediocre players.
    right now, i'm striving for mediocrity on offense, i'll take that in a heartbeat
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

  2. #12
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    So, tell me, what good would it do our team to overpay right now for a bunch of limited ability players who may - or may not - improve the quality of our team?
    How about, "NONE".

    And, after we realize that, but are financially limited because we've already over paid for these non-performers, what will we do then, huh?


    There were a handful of quality players available in free agency this season.
    Most of them went to better teams - probably because they want to WIN.
    We wound up with 3 no-name back-ups who may - or may not - actually contribute.
    But, and this is important to note, we are hanging on to a serious chunk of cap room.


    Sometimes, it's better to sit tight and wait for what you want rather than panic and get what you hope will work.

    Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith right now in Childress or his "plan".
    I don't have ANY faith in Wilf when it comes to making football decisions.
    I won't know what to think about Spielman for another year or so (Until we see what the guys he brings in actually do for us).

    But I DO know this; knee-jerk reactionism accomplishes very little in the long run.
    I'd rather lay the foundation now for victory tomorrow than win a couple this season and never climb out of mediocrity.

    Caine

  3. #13
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    I seem to recall Green Bay doing nothing in free agency last year while the Vikings spent a ton!
    Green Bay was ridiculed and picked to win 2 to 4 games by many.They also didn't have much for receivers.
    But they drafted Hawk and and made a couple of moves and swept us.
    Yes they had Favre.But is he really that good?
    Although GB wasn't great last year, we have to wait until the season starts to count the Vikings out.
    The games have to be played.
    Honest to god; the Vikings should have won both games against the Bears last year. Definitely the first one.
    Less pre-snap penalties,upgraded pass blocking,return of healthy players,more mobile quarterback,improved pass coverage,improved special teams coverage,and one additional wide receiver who can catch,and this is a formidable team.
    That's a lot to ask for,but it should not take very many new players to achieve.
    This writer thinks great teams are made in free agency.I respectfully disagree.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  4. #14
    bigbadragz's Avatar
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    823

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    "Caine" wrote:
    So, tell me, what good would it do our team to overpay right now for a bunch of limited ability players who may - or may not - improve the quality of our team?
    How about, "NONE".

    And, after we realize that, but are financially limited because we've already over paid for these non-performers, what will we do then, huh?


    There were a handful of quality players available in free agency this season.
    Most of them went to better teams - probably because they want to WIN.
    We wound up with 3 no-name back-ups who may - or may not - actually contribute.
    But, and this is important to note, we are hanging on to a serious chunk of cap room.


    Sometimes, it's better to sit tight and wait for what you want rather than panic and get what you hope will work.

    Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith right now in Childress or his "plan".
    I don't have ANY faith in Wilf when it comes to making football decisions.
    I won't know what to think about Spielman for another year or so (Until we see what the guys he brings in actually do for us).

    But I DO know this; knee-jerk reactionism accomplishes very little in the long run.
    I'd rather lay the foundation now for victory tomorrow than win a couple this season and never climb out of mediocrity.

    Caine
    i wouldnt exactly call it knee jerk, i would call it a plan of action.
    i think the point of the article was to say,"what the hell are they doing or not doing?"
    like i've said in many other post, we didn't have to break the bank and screw ourselves for years to come by signing 2-3 players that could help.
    dewayne white coulda been a reasonable addition.
    any of the mediocre recievers that were on the market could have helped probalby the worse corp in the nfl right now.
    some offensive line help on the right side could help without having to overpay, if not to start, to at least push the young guys.
    like it or not football is a win now league.
    coaches don't have the luxery to wait 3 years for results.
    not to mention, with a good defense, mediocre play on offense will make us a tough play.
    right now i'm not sure what their plan is, and like you said childress hasn't proven to me yet that he's cut out for this.
    so it's frustrating. and i still think this is a make or break season for childress.
    maybe not win wise, but definitely in getting the offense going.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

  5. #15
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I seem to recall Green Bay doing nothing in free agency last year while the Vikings spent a ton!
    Green Bay was ridiculed and picked to win 2 to 4 games by many.They also didn't have much for receivers.
    But they drafted Hawk and and made a couple of moves and swept us.
    Yes they had Favre.But is he really that good?
    Although GB wasn't great last year, we have to wait until the season starts to count the Vikings out.
    The games have to be played.
    Honest to god; the Vikings should have won both games against the Bears last year. Definitely the first one.
    Less pre-snap penalties,upgraded pass blocking,return of healthy players,more mobile quarterback,improved pass coverage,improved special teams coverage,and one additional wide receiver who can catch,and this is a formidable team.
    That's a lot to ask for,but it should not take very many new players to achieve.
    This writer thinks great teams are made in free agency.I respectfully disagree.
    I agree with that and would also add that we need better position coaching and better play calling.


  6. #16
    Hawkeye23's Avatar
    Hawkeye23 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    186

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    i think some of you make good points.
    I have to been to vikings games for seven years now and i've never seen it as bad as it was this year.
    The short passes were riduculous and williamson will be decent since we now have a QB that throws 30+ yard passes without arthiritis kicking in.
    We still need something to hold up the line on the right side.
    If we could get Thomas or Blaylock even in the 2nd round that would severely help the right side because it SUCKS.

  7. #17
    bigbadragz's Avatar
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    823

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    "Hawkeye23" wrote:
    i think some of you make good points.

    I have to been to vikings games for seven years now and i've never seen it as bad as it was this year.

    The short passes were riduculous and williamson will be decent since we now have a QB that throws 30+ yard passes without arthiritis kicking in.

    We still need something to hold up the line on the right side.

    If we could get Thomas or Blaylock even in the 2nd round that would severely help the right side because it SUCKS.
    this is true, but i dont know if using another 2nd rounder on the right side is the way i wanna go.
    we already are starting 2 guys that have been 2nd rounders who have underachieved so far, cook of course not having had alot of oppurtunity.
    unless these guys end up being the real deal which we won't know until they play, i prefer signing a vet or 2 either to start or give us a backup if cook and johnson suck.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

  8. #18
    Hawkeye23's Avatar
    Hawkeye23 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    186

    Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

    i guess your right the issue of oline isnt a big deal right now but i think leaving it alone for next season is a big mistake.
    I think that Leon Hall is the safest choice but Brady Quinn would allow us to take a CB in early 2nd round which is the best possible case in my opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Hall omission of Vikings' Marshall is puzzling
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 04:16 AM
  2. Good read
    By enlvikeman in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
  3. Good Read
    By Del Rio in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 07:31 AM
  4. good read
    By pepper 0n moss in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. Good Read
    By sitandbehitski in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •