Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom2Bucs is offline Rookie

Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

Heres an interesting article, hard not to agree with what is said.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Minnesota/Features/2007/mann031607.htm

SageVike is offline Starter

Re: Good Read: Vikings Offseason Puzzling

Everyone on ths site keep saying
    that FA isnt ova so dont bug out. There isnt noone left good to sign. so if we were to sign someone it would be another bum!

There is truth in what he wrote.
    But he neglects another source of upgrades; i.e. vets cut after the draft.

The defense is getting back most starters except Harris.
    The return of Greenway, DEdwards, EJames and TWilliams from IR means the Vikings don't have to do much to replenish the defense.

So most draft picks can be used to replenish the WR corp, perhaps add Quinn, or trade mid round draft picks for a vet WR who becomes expendable after his team drafts a top WR in round 1 or 2.
    TEs and RBs might also be targetted in the draft for more receivers, rather than focusing exclusively on WRs.
    And, since WR, TE and QB are the key areas to upgrade, the Vikings might move up to get one of each at a higher draft slot.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"SageVike" wrote:
    that FA isnt ova so dont bug out. There isnt noone left good to sign. so if we were to sign someone it would be another bum!
    There wasn't really anyone that good to sign in the first place.

I do agree with him for the most part though. I think he is a little unreasonable in believing that we could have vastly improved our offense through free agency, because I don't think that was possible, but he makes good points about the amount of money we gave to Shiancoe and Bobby Wade in comparison to the other free agents.

IMO, not signing Daniel Graham was the biggest blunder of the offseason.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Graham is a Colorado native...the way I understood it...Colorado is the place he wanted to play.
    If I was Graham I wouldn't have signed with Minn. either even, if they did offer more money.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

It might look odd to the average layman, but Vikings coach Brad Childress actually has a very simple plan to rebuild.
    Using a page out of the books of great coaches such as Mike Tice, Coach Childress will be building his team almost entirely of FA June cuts!
    Rebuilding typical is done by aqcuiring younger players through free agencies and rookies in the draft.
    Childress, also the inventor of the "Piano Mustache Comb" declined to comment.
    :P

Just joshin.
    It takes a well balanced team to succeed.

Here is a good article froom 2004 explaining June cuts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7377865

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"SageVike" wrote:
    Well it isn't. There will still happen a lot.

There will be trades. There will be draft day trades. There will be post-draft cuts. There will be June 1. cuts. Besides the draft itself.

Have some patience, and let the offseason unfold.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

The vikings are very dull this offseason we cannot compete with the bears and the lions will do better than us next season if everyone doesn't start to do something.

I was personally a huge fan of Brian Russell and i was kind of hoping that they would sign him back (its ok to hope?) but they still need a younger safety because sharper isnt getting any younger.
    Griffin isnt fast enough to be a starter CB.

As for their offense. . . . . .
    We need to trade down or up if we stay where we are were done for next season.

for our pick New england will surrender its 2 first round picks which would be best because we need SOO much help.

Then with those picks we can pick up a
    Cb (aaron ross) a wide reciever and a quaterback (drew stanton, troy smith) if we trade up to 3rd its all up to the lions.

the vikings would be lucky to have Thomas, Johnson or Quinn which puts them in a delima where we no matter what walk away smiling.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

All everyone has to know, is that we had better get our WR situation fixed or it is going to be a long dreadfull season at 6-10 again.
    We had better be coming up with a scheme on how we can trade up and get Calvin J.
    If not, we are looking at getting a couple of #2 receivers in the latter rounds and that is not going to cut it.
    Has anyone tried to figure out why none of the 4-5 WR's decided not to sign with us?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

It is far to early to say how the team will do this year.
    The offense will be better then last year for the fact that we now have a young mobile quarterback, assuming that TJack will be the starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast