Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Good Article on Newman

Here's an article on Kieth Newman.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5638889.html

This guy has been a beast for us this year. He adds some much needed versatility and depth. Plus every time he makes a play I get to go "Newman!"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Good Article on Newman

"NEWWWMANN!"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

He was our best linebacker last year, so it doesn't surprise me he is doing well this year.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Del Rio Guest

That article is exactly why I don't want to see him as our starter. I think it would hurt us in the long run, not because he couldn't produce as a starter, but because we would lose that special defensive guy that does what he is asked and is asked to do it because he is the man.

While wanting Napo to sit may sound good to some, I think Newman is more dangerous doing what he is doing now.

"I just wanted the opportunity to compete for the job," said Newman, 28, who spent his first four seasons with Buffalo and played two years with Cottrell as his coordinator. "I knew Napoleon was going to have to be on the field somehow, some way, because he was part of the Randy Moss trade. So it's not like the guy wasn't going to play."

What Newman didn't realize was just how much Cottrell planned to utilize him in a variety of defensive schemes that didn't exist a year ago. The Vikings worked Newman into various packages during the organized team activity days this spring, then used him in 3-4 and 3-3-5 alignments in the opener against Tampa Bay. Newman's pressure on Buccaneers quarterback Brian Griese resulted in a second-quarter interception by Fred Smoot.

"He'll do anything you ask him to do," Cottrell said of Newman.

In addition to his work on defense Sunday, Newman played on four special-teams units. He normally is used on three of them but was put on the fourth to give a rest to Dontarrious Thomas, who was starting at weak-side linebacker.

Newman's willingness to be a team player isn't lost on Tice or Cottrell, but he admits he does not feel completely appreciated by the organization. He thought he deserved better in his latest contract negotiations, which ended when he signed for the veteran's minimum of $540,000 in late April after spending two months on the open market.

"I'd just say by the organization as a whole," Newman said when asked if his frustration was with the front office. "It's something that when your peers recognize you for that and your coaches recognize you for that, it makes you feel good. You can only control what you can control."

If Newman continues to perform like he has in the first three games this season, getting a significant payday should be no problem.

"Those things will take care of themselves," he said. "I won't comment on a contract or any of that right now, there is a lot of season left. Three games doesn't make you get a big contract or lose a contract. That's something if I keep continuing to do what I'm doing and build each and every week that will take care of itself."
    He is doing well, doing his role for this team.

If he keeps it up, he will get paid, hopefully not by another team.

I like his comment about 3 games isn't enough to be a measuring stick, gotta play the whole season.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    That article is exactly why I don't want to see him as our starter. I think it would hurt us in the long run, not because he couldn't produce as a starter, but because we would lose that special defensive guy that does what he is asked and is asked to do it because he is the man.

While wanting Napo to sit may sound good to some, I think Newman is more dangerous doing what he is doing now.
    But we need production on the field at all times. Napo is dead weight and Newman can make an impact immediately. I say start him.

TheViking is offline Rookie

We do not have that dominating LB that we wish we had. Harris is just there and Thomas is still trying to figure out the game, Henderson looks great at times and then looks completely lost, its nice to see Newman step up and be a playmaker. IMO you need to keep players like that on the field, our LB's have the athletic ability to be good they just need to learn the game a little faster.
    One cold January morning I will wake up and be able to say holy sh** they actually won!

Del Rio Guest

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

But we need production on the field at all times. Napo is dead weight and Newman can make an impact immediately. I say start him.
    I just have to ask how in the hell someone could say he is dead weight? How would you justify that or support that argument?

Or is that just an assumption from seeing 3 or 4 plays that you felt he did poorly at?

I'm not being aggressive I am just curious. For the life of me I couldn't bring myself to say he is dead weight. He has played 3 games for christ sake on a new team lol. Realistically he has done a pretty good job. A week ago everyone was all over his man berries for his sack lol, now he is magically handicapped.......everyone has a role on a team.

I don't care if he sits or not, but the point is you have a guy who can do things others can't in Newman. If you move him into a solid role starting he may be productive, but I doubt he would outproduce Napo enough to justify losing his production on special packages.

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

I just have to ask how in the hell someone could say he is dead weight? How would you justify that or support that argument?

Or is that just an assumption from seeing 3 or 4 plays that you felt he did poorly at?

I'm not being aggressive I am just curious. For the life of me I couldn't bring myself to say he is dead weight. He has played 3 games for christ sake on a new team lol. Realistically he has done a pretty good job. A week ago everyone was all over his man berries for his sack lol, now he is magically handicapped.......everyone has a role on a team.

I don't care if he sits or not, but the point is you have a guy who can do things others can't in Newman. If you move him into a solid role starting he may be productive, but I doubt he would outproduce Napo enough to justify losing his production on special packages.
    Once again Del is right.
    Think through the whole picture and you'll come up with what Del is pointing out.

Napo is in a lose lose situation with the fans, he is expected to be Ray Lewis so he can be the replacement for the GUY we traded away to Oakland, what was his name again. Anyway, his name escapes me, that WR left some pretty big shoes to fill, WHO(which star player) DO WE ROUTE FOR NOW?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast