Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good Announcers

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Good Announcers

I'll add my two cents...I like Madden, always have as an announcer (not as a coach since I hate all Raiders from Davis on down
    ). In addition to some of the comments listed above, he made a keen observation that when the Vikings' passing game started to click, the Redskins had to adjust by backing into coverage...that was the time to get AD into the game. But it never materialized.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    I'll add my two cents...I like Madden, always have as an announcer (not as a coach since I hate all Raiders from Davis on down
    ). In addition to some of the comments listed above, he made a keen observation that when the Vikings' passing game started to click, the Redskins had to adjust by backing into coverage...that was the time to get AD into the game. But it never materialized.
    Or they just went into a prevent cover 2 mode to keep us from getting huge chunks or scoring quickly which would/could have got us back in the game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Now that Marrdro brought it up, it makes me think we should follow the David Garrard model. His career stats show very few INTs early, but also very, very few pass attempts until his fourth year in the NFL (when he threw 98 times). Only now, in his sixth year, is he the every play, every game quarterback. Maybe TJack could really benefit with a year or two of being a backup and honing his techniques. That would mean we need a FA QB to tide us over.
    There are alot of others in the past.
    Romo, Gerrard come to mind, however, there are others that were thrown to the wolves that panned out as well, Aikman, Manning etc.
    I agree with you about that childress doesn't have the ultimate say in what finacial descisions takes place on this team. However, you are not giving the Chill enough credit. A head coach has a lot of say in the sculpting of the team. I belive Chilldress has even more say than the average coach due to

1) A recent new owner
    2) He was brought in to "clean" up the roster.

I think if childress had gone to managment and screamed..TJack is too raw I need a veteren QB, I seriously doubt that his cries would have fallen on deaf ears. The fact is Childress felt we would be ok with Tjack as starter.
    Me thinks you are on to something.
    Watch real close, I rarely ever give him credit for anything other than to say (Not just the Chiller) and to say that when he isn't our HC anymore I will really tell you what I think of him.
    ;D

Seriously though though.
    I think the screaming your heard just before Foley was fired was not only from the Chiller but Scott Studwell as well.
    At that point in the game it was probably to late to fix the loss of Cutler, Clemens and any other QB they might have been targeting in the draft.

I've laid it out several times.
    If you look at how the draft evolved, TJ was IMHO the best QB left in the draft, but I am not 100% sure they needed to go up and get him.

It will always be my contention that the HC doesn't run the draft and can't make that call.

Again, back to the whole screaming thing.
    I can just see Scott Studwell screaming, why in the hell do we need to move up for this kid, he will be there next round or at our next pick.

Or, Why the hell didn't you move up at least 2 more picks, Clemens would have been there instead of going to the NYJ's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    The last couple weeks the Vikings have played prime time football and I have to say that the announcers have done a good job and made some sound observations on our football team. Several of the comments have been echoed and re-echoed on this board, but you can tell that the frustrations the fans have felt this year are clearly understood by the national media.

Among them:
    - (John Madden)
    Brad Childress has tied his fate with TJack and they are kind of linked together.
    - (Steve Young) If you could guarantee me that all I would have to face is the cover 3 defense with 2 corners and only one safety, I would come out of retirement right now."
    - (Ron Jaworski) When you see 8 in the box like the Vikings are facing, the QB has GOT to be able to
    exploit that and make the defense pay for it. If he can't throw the ball downfield against THAT defense, Adrian Peterson has no room to run.
    - (Jaws again) Look at the replays of Jackson throwing. He has poor mechanics and doesn't set his feet properly.

....Anyways -- I thought those were all great observations, although nothing we haven't discussed on here many, many times. It really isn't a secret, though. Other teams are totally onto us and you can be certain if we don't get substantial improvement from our QB next year, Adrian Peterson won't face an honest defense all year.

Good announcing, though.......it was nice to see the Vikes in prime time the last couple weeks!!!
    Question: Are these good announcers because they echoed the same feeling about our team that you have? Was this thread an opportunity for you to point out that some announcers feel the same way you do? Or are they good announcers because they challenged your way of thinking and brought up points and angles you had not thought of?

A good announcer (IMO) should not simply echo the thoughts of many but should bring about ideas the average fan had not yet thought of.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

happycamper

What makes these comments insightful is the fact that these announcers have not announced a game the Vikings have been in all year and they are talking to many people who might not have seen the Vikings play all year in a national audience.

The comments they make echo what I have said all year. These guys have not closely followed this team as we have, but they are very in tune to what this team's problems are. I have argued with people all year - during the off-season I was lambasted for saying that we were making a huge mistake for not upgrading at QB and TJack wasn't ready by the so-called Vikings experts on here. I was right. I have argued with people during the season that TJack isn't even close to being an NFL QB and despite his good record, we weren't winning because of him, we were winning because everyone else was doing a good job. I am sure I will be arguing with people during THIS off-season that we can not stand pat at QB - we have got to find other options if we want to get better, although there will probably be fewer people arguing this. By the way, Bob Sansevere wrote a column today which says the same thing I have been saying all year, although he wasn't as polite as I have been.....

These comments they made might not be insightful for Vikings fans who have watched this team all year and know this team first hand, but they are VERY insightful for a national audience that might not know this team so well.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234