Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Announcers

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Good Announcers

Vikings teams that have played in the Super Bowl since Rich Gannon was drafted: 0

Rich Gannon teams that have played in the Super Bowl: 1

League MVPs (Associated Press) won by Vikings' quarterbacks since Rich Gannon was drafted: 0

League MVPs (Associated Press) won by Rich Gannon: 1

At the very least, sticking with Gannon means we would have had more talent at the QB position. Imagine what Gannon and Moss could have done together.

Stick with our guys and keep developing them. It works. Bench TJack for a while? Maybe. Just keep TJack on the roster. Don't let him go.

Go Vikings!

I agree -- do NOT dump TJack -- he still has a lot of potential - he just needs more time.
    A lot of the criticism he has received is unfair because he is a young kid who got rushed in before he was ready. He needs a LOT of work on both technique and fundamentals. However, Bollinger and Holcomb are both throw aways and that is where you need to upgrade.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

I don´t like Madden,Sanders or the big black "amusing" guy on CBS ,I don´t get a word they say,the first one doesn´t vocalize and the 2 others talk fast as hell.

Nothing to do with the topic but
    the easiest catchable person from the U.S.
    imo is Cleveland (from Family Guy
    8)
    )
    El underdog.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    Actually, mardro, that comment by Madden that said Childress is kind of linked to Jackson is very true IMO. I think going into this season, many people (including me) were bothered by the fact that the Vikes did very little to upgrade at QB, even though their QB situation was extremely precarious to say the least. They had one 2nd round draft pick with very little NFL experience and two backups who are not very talented. QB is an Achilles Heel for this team and all the experts knew that going into the season.

Instead of trying to further upgrade at QB, the Vikings inexplicably went with Jackson, Bollinger and Holcomb for the season, even though better talent was available. THAT is what links the Chiller with TJack because it is that decision which could make or break his coaching career like it or not.

The end result is even though the Vikings are very talented at many positions and have a defense (especially rush defense) that is playoff ready, and one of the most explosive running backs in the game, they have a young QB prone to making mistakes being fed to the wolves who should be learning the game such as Rodgers is doing in Green Bay. THAT is your ideal situation and when Favre retires, Rodgers will be ready to step in right away.

If Childress decides to go with TJack as his main guy for next year and he continues to play like he has, he could very well wind up in the unemployment line at the end of next season because the kid is simply not NFL ready right now. A great game for TJack is 12-18 for 180 yards. People -- this is NOT great. A great QB performance is more like 400 yards and 4 touchdowns... Something tells me Childress is going to insist on bringing in a plan B BECAUSE YES......HE ----IS--- LINKED TO JACKSON right now and he would be wise to try to shake that.

Again.......good comment by Madden on that.
    This will let Shutz back in the door thinking I am sticking up for the Chiller when reality shows I am just pointing out facts.

To be linked with TJ you would first have to believe that the following is in fact true.

a.
    Childress makes all player personnel moves for the staff.
    Not true.
    Spielmen and Studwell have more say on who is brought in after Bryzcheapski can work the numbers than the Chiller.
    Sure Childress has a say but as I have pointed out with many articles, quotes, and typical organization structures within the NFL one would finally have to quite thinking that he is like some little Hitler up there making all the decisions.

b. Childress was responsible for Culpepper leaving.
    Again, not true.
    This all came down to Daunte not wanting to rehab in MN, electing to stay in FL with his family to rehab.
    After asking for more money the staff asked him to come up and show his progress on his knee and to meet the new head coach.
    Of course he refused and then the wheels came off.
    Again, who is to blame here?
    The new head coach, the QB who wasn't gonna be ready to play and wanted more money, the money guy who along with the medical staff who said don't pay him as he won't be ready?

c.
    Childress was responsible for not paying/extending Brad Johnson's contract allowing him to play his last season with us without a long term contract.
    Again not true.
    This comes down to Bryzcheapski (Money guy), Foley (Player personnel guy) and Ownership.

d.
    Childress was resposible for making several gaffs in the 2006 draft which missed out on getting thier 1rst and 2nd option at QB forcing us to settle on the 3rd option.
    Again, not true.
    Fran Foley ran that draft and although we got some good guys, he did a bad job of getting them and missed out on better players.

e. Childress was responsible for the the team deciding they wanted to gut the team, start over and rebuild through the draft.
    Again, not true.
    This is a Ownership and executive staff decision.
    The Chiller and his coaching staff IMHO are doing a pretty good job getting these guys ready to play, however, it wasn't his decision to do this.

f.
    Childress was responsible for not going after Garcia and allowed Tampa to snatch him up as soon as he hit the streets.
    Again, not true.
    This falls to the same guys who screwed the pooch on keeping Brad Johnson on the roster as a back up.

Long story short, The Chiller does have a say/vote on the talent that is brought in but even a blind squirrel can see that the Chiller isn't in complete control of what players are put on the field.
    That really falls to Spielmen, Studwell and when it comes to FA Bryzcheapski.

Childress is only tied to TJ in the press's eyes cause it gets newspapers sold and makes guys like you and me discuss it, but he is in no way gonna loose his job if TJ doesn't pan out my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Schutz" wrote:
    haha, go figure a good announcers thread turns into another "lets defend Brad Childress" thread.
    Wow guys, just keep patting yourself on the back on those comments.

I'll say again though, Paul Allen is great.
    You know, most of the time I like to read your stuff even though I don't agree with it, but in this case this is a pretty bad post.
    The original poster of this thread made an arguement that is being disputed by others or supported by others.

How does your comment add anything to this discussion? :

I will give you the PA comment though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Mardro - re: Steve Young

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    "Cover 3 defense.
    What Mr. Young failed to provide in his observations is that in a cover 3 that "futureboy" was seeing he was also seeing a pretty heavy Zone Blitz package desinged to not only take the run away but to put quick pressure on the QB which makes him make quick decisions with the ball as the OL will normally break down under that kind of pressure, not allowing the QB to get the ball to anyone.
    Go back and take a look at Youngs answer to the Cover 3. He ran and didn't throw.
    What a yutz."

.....No offense, but I think I trust what Steve Young has to say about facing the Cover 3 Defense before the likes of you. Steve Young knows the Cover 3 is one of the easiest defenses to throw against if you know what you are doing. You have the bare minimum pass defense to face and you have one on one coverage on all your receivers. If you can't throw on that defense, you can't play QB in the NFL. The Zone Blitz can be beaten by quick throws on slants and if you can get enough protection, you can beat them on deeper routes with 1 on 1 defense. A cover 3 isn't designed for first and 10.........it's designed for 3rd and short. If you see a cover 3 on first and second down, you should be able to exploit it for big passing yardage. THAT is why Steve Young said he would come out of retirement if you could guarantee that is the only defense he would have to face. Unfortunately, I do not know if our QB is good enough to exploit that. Eventually he is going to have to or Adrian Peterson will be almost worthless next year.
    If you have a QB that can make the throws.
    We don't.
    Whats your point?

As to Youngs ability, did you go back and look at his stats to see how he handled with Defenses like this?
    He ran instead of throwing.
    Again, whats your point?

"Schutz" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    And bringing in a veteran QB from another team always works out great, taking a team right to the top. Just like:

Warren Moon
    Jim McMahon
    Jeff George
    Brad Johnson

and, one, Randall Cunningham (1 out of 5) (except our offense sputtered in the NFC Championship game).

Since 1993, a grand total of two Super Bowls have been won by teams starting a QB who they acquired as a veteran from another team: the Ravens and the Bucs. All the other Super Bowls have been won by teams with starting quarterbacks they acquired in the draft or (Favre, Young, Kurt Warner) as rookies or very inexperienced players. The farther you go back, the worse it gets for the opposite position.

Since Wade Wilson left the Vikings, the Vikings have developed the following starting quarterbacks: Rich Gannon (left the team, became league MVP for another team), Brad Johnson (left the team during his prime years, won a Super Bowl with another team), Daunte Culpepper (didn't pan out), and Tarvaris Jackson. In other words, when we did develop a QB it either didn't work out (Culpepper), or we didn't keep the guy.

Maybe we should start another project this off-season in case TJack doesn't pan out, but I think the point is made that quarterbacks in the NFL take time to develop. It would be nice to pick up a Doug Williams or Jim Plunkett off of the scrap heap, but we can't count on that.

The last thing we need is to dump another QB out the window like we did with Rich Gannon. Remember what happened to the Bucs and Steve Young, or the Falcons and Favre.

Now do we really have to talk about the need for coaching continuity? Is there any real question that the Vikings special teams, defense, running game, team discipline, and number of penalties are all vastly improved under Coach Childress? Allow me to list the following coordinators that the Vikings have lost in recent years to other teams:

Tony Dungy
    Brian Billick
    Scott Linehan
    Mike Tomlin
    George O'Leary (UCF)

With that kind of coordinator turnover, it should be a surprise we've had as many playoff appearances that we had.

There are teams in the league that have a revolving door approach to quarterbacks and head coaches. The Dolphins, Falcons, Cardinals, Jets, and Lions all come to mind.
    How bout the Jags, they had a QB switch with a young guy and it worked out for them, Atlanta only has this situation because their QB went to jail, the Dolphins situation I don't blame on a QB for doing that bad on a horrible team, Clevland had a QB rotisserie and now they're on the verge of the playoffs and one of the best finishes in a long time, the chargers had a situation where they had an established vet in Brees and got rid of him a couple years ago, they've done alright.

Also bringing up Brad Johnson as a superbowl QB always gets me mad, yes he was a decent QB but his QBing skills weren't the reason that the Bucs won the Super Bowl, please.
    The Vikings wouldn't have been any better off.

Gannon didn't start playing at a high level until SIX years after his last year he played for us, you're telling me we should have waited six years?
    Also if he was such a hot commodity why didn't the Redskins or KC keep him?

Dallas won three, Aikman was good but the Cowboys were unstoppable, Aikman was a decent QB on a great team.
    Aikman was just good at taking advantage of the fact that he had Emmit Smith running, Aikman without Emmit would probably be a little scary.

Dynasties having certain QBs was only one part of the equation.
    How many superbowls did the Vikings win with QBs they drafted?
    Just because somebody takes a crap and calls it brownies doesn't mean I have to eat it.
    Although T-Jack might pull a Gannon and take like 10 years into his NFL career to really take off, do we want to wait ten years?
    The Jags, thats your opening arguement?
    What team did they get thier new QB from via FA?
    Looks like a 6 year project QB that was raised to run the team.
    He sure the hell wasn't thrown to the wolves as this staff has done with future boy.

There might be an arguement/point somewhere else in your first para after that but I can't make heads or tails out of what it might be.
    :

Brad Johnson is your next one...
    Who says you need a great QB to win in this league?
    Seems to me it takes balance on 3 levels (D, O, ST).
    And you need good players on all those levels to win.
    Throw in a few Great players on each and you have a SB team.

Aikman is then your next jewel to pull out.
    WOW. HOF QB Troy Aikman.
    Are you telling me he wouldn't have been elected to the HOF if you had the final vote?
    Gimme a break.
    You yack on me for stuff and then you come with this.
    Damn.
    :

Seems to me someone is taking a crap and trying to make it into something other than brownies my friend.
    ;D

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Now that Marrdro brought it up, it makes me think we should follow the David Garrard model. His career stats show very few INTs early, but also very, very few pass attempts until his fourth year in the NFL (when he threw 98 times). Only now, in his sixth year, is he the every play, every game quarterback. Maybe TJack could really benefit with a year or two of being a backup and honing his techniques. That would mean we need a FA QB to tide us over.

Go Vikings!

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Now that Marrdro brought it up, it makes me think we should follow the David Garrard model. His career stats show very few INTs early, but also very, very few pass attempts until his fourth year in the NFL (when he threw 98 times). Only now, in his sixth year, is he the every play, every game quarterback. Maybe TJack could really benefit with a year or two of being a backup and honing his techniques. That would mean we need a FA QB to tide us over.
    There are alot of others in the past.
    Romo, Gerrard come to mind, however, there are others that were thrown to the wolves that panned out as well, Aikman, Manning etc.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    There are alot of others in the past.
    Romo, Gerrard come to mind, however, there are others that were thrown to the wolves that panned out as well, Aikman, Manning etc.
    I agree with you about that childress doesn't have the ultimate say in what finacial descisions takes place on this team. However, you are not giving the Chill enough credit. A head coach has a lot of say in the sculpting of the team. I belive Chilldress has even more say than the average coach due to

1) A recent new owner
    2) He was brought in to "clean" up the roster.

I think if childress had gone to managment and screamed..TJack is too raw I need a veteren QB, I seriously doubt that his cries would have fallen on deaf ears. The fact is Childress felt we would be ok with Tjack as starter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast