Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Announcers

Good Announcers

The last couple weeks the Vikings have played prime time football and I have to say that the announcers have done a good job and made some sound observations on our football team. Several of the comments have been echoed and re-echoed on this board, but you can tell that the frustrations the fans have felt this year are clearly understood by the national media.

Among them:
    - (John Madden)
    Brad Childress has tied his fate with TJack and they are kind of linked together.
    - (Steve Young) If you could guarantee me that all I would have to face is the cover 3 defense with 2 corners and only one safety, I would come out of retirement right now."
    - (Ron Jaworski) When you see 8 in the box like the Vikings are facing, the QB has GOT to be able to
    exploit that and make the defense pay for it. If he can't throw the ball downfield against THAT defense, Adrian Peterson has no room to run.
    - (Jaws again) Look at the replays of Jackson throwing. He has poor mechanics and doesn't set his feet properly.

....Anyways -- I thought those were all great observations, although nothing we haven't discussed on here many, many times. It really isn't a secret, though. Other teams are totally onto us and you can be certain if we don't get substantial improvement from our QB next year, Adrian Peterson won't face an honest defense all year.

Good announcing, though.......it was nice to see the Vikes in prime time the last couple weeks!!!
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Good Announcers

True that my friend

davike is offline Team Alumni

"V4L" wrote:
    True that my friend
    This cracks me up....everyone is starting to sound like Marr on here now
    ;D

I agree though. Very very true my friend

I will also mention that the Vikings have a GREAT anouncer in Paul Allen.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Yeah, P.A. has a good announcing voice, he is very knowledgeable about the Vikings, and of course, he comes across as a big fan, too. I used to like Kevin Harlan, too when he was here.

We are fortunate to have a good announcer - there are a lot of really bad ones out there...
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Paul Allen

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

More on announcers:

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=39928.0

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Anybody remember when the Cardinals beat the Vikings to keep us out of the playoffs?
    I remember that touchdown and Allen just starts yelling NOOOOOOO!!!!!
    NOOOOO!!!!
    NOOOOOO!!!
    over and over, I don't think I've ever heard a radio personality sound so depressed over the air.
    I like Paul Allen and the fact that he's always so into Vikings football.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Wait a second. We can get Steve Young to come out of retirement and play for the Vikings?

He can't be older than Testaverde. Sign him up!

Go Vikings!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"davike" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    True that my friend
    This cracks me up....everyone is starting to sound like Marr on here now
    ;D

I agree though. Very very true my friend

I will also mention that the Vikings have a GREAT anouncer in Paul Allen.
    You guys are cracking me up.

I hated some of those observations by the announcers......

He is linked to TJ how?
    I've beat this one to death. He is linked to TJ only for the fact that this organization screwed the pooch several times during the draft and when it came to inking/re-inking QBs that were already on the roster.
    That my friends is on the other legs of the Triangle of Authority as well as the Chiller.

Cover 3 defense.
    What Mr. Young failed to provide in his observations is that in a cover 3 that "futureboy" was seeing he was also seeing a pretty heavy Zone Blitz package desinged to not only take the run away but to put quick pressure on the QB which makes him make quick decisions with the ball as the OL will normally break down under that kind of pressure, not allowing the QB to get the ball to anyone.
    Go back and take a look at Youngs answer to the Cover 3. He ran and didn't throw.
    What a yutz.

Same thing for Jaws.
    He was the one that I was the most disappointed in.
    He along with Young Yutz made it out like "Futureboy" had all day long to stand back there and throw.

Whats more embarrising, those guys yacking all that trash or guys believing them.

Bottom line up front.
    TJ's inability to read a defense and get the ball out is a bad thing, but there are other things that contribute to his ineptitude as some announcers contend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

I'd like to second what Marrdro just said.

Let's remember that when Childress took the job, Daunte Culpepper was the Vikings' quarterback. After Pepp went nutty, the Vikings wisely traded him to avoid paying Culpepper $10 million cash.

After that, we had only Brad Johnson left on the roster. In the draft that spring, we actually had a bigger need: linebacker. Childress drafted Greenway #1. He has turned out to be a developing stud. Then Childress moved up in the second round to get Tarvaris Jackson.

After that the Vikings got Brooks Bollinger (a career backup QB), Kelly Holcomb (who has turned out to be too old), and Tyler Thigpen (who the Chiefs snatched away due to Vikings' front office negligence). In the 2007 draft, we took Adrian Peterson #1 who has worked out pretty well, to say the least.

Childress would have preferred if we could have called Dan Marino off the bench, but as it turns out, we didn't have that caliber of quarterback just sitting around.

The quarterback problems of the Vikings go back much earlier than the arrival of Childress. If anything, the prospects for good quarterback play in the future have grown since Childress came on board.

Again, I'm on record as drafting a Tyler Thigpen type again in the 6th or 7th round for insurance/development/backup/future tradebait purposes. I'm unsure about bringing in a veteran QB like Garcia or McNabb. We definitely need to keep the fiery competitor Tarvaris Jackson. We should also keep another backup QB like Bollinger for insurance. That means keeping 4 QBs on the active roster. It's worth it.

Go Vikings!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast