Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Going Into 2008

  1. #1
    aaeyers's Avatar
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Going Into 2008

    After a 1-2 start to some of the worst teams in the league, and an extremely tough schedule for most of the rest of the season, its time to start thinking about getting ready for next year. What do you hope we accomplish by the end of this year? Who do you hope gets cut in the off-season, and who do you hope gets brought in? Here are my thoughts on the future of the Vikings, broken down by position:

    First, with what I have seen so far, and with the schedule we have for the rest of the season, I can't honestly say that I see the Vikings winning more than 4 or 5 games this season. I think we will have a top 5 pick in the draft, though that will be no indication of how things will be in 2008. Also, I think that Childress will be back (for better or worse) for one more year. I think that the ownership will reluctantly decide that 2 years isn't quite long enough to judge a coach, and they will give Childress one more year to establish his system and turn things around. However, if he doesn't get it done in 2008, I can't possibly see him coming back.

    QB.
    Personally, I think we should start Tarvaris for the remainder of the year, that is the only way he is going to learn to be a better quarterback in this league, and by week 8 it will be clear that we are not playoff contenders this year. I believe he has all the tools and desire to be a good or even great quarterback, and a leader of this team, but I think he is going to need a couple of years to develop. By the end of the season, I think it will be (even more) obvious that he needs to hold a clipboard for a couple of years and learn from a veteran. So in the 2008 free agent period, I see us picking up a fairly big name veteran quarterback. There have been talks about McNabb wanting to get out of Philadelphia, and that is defiantly one possibility, and probably the best the Vikings could hope for. There are also always unexpected cuts made, and I'm sure there will be atleast a couple veteran quarterbacks that would be worth taking a look it. But regardless of who is available, I see us signing a quarterback. It is still too early to give up on Tarvaris
    entirely, and I think they will decide (with much criticism) not to draft another QB.

    RB.
    By the end of the year, Peterson will have established that he is an elite back, and should be the unquestioned starter, although he will still split carries with Chester Taylor. They will be one of the top running back tandems in the league, and our running game will be genuinely feared. Also, its my opinion that Mewelde Moore is greatly under appreciated, and he will make contributions as a third down back or in other certain situations. He is a solid backup, and gives us depth at the running back position.

    FB/TE.
    While I think that Richardson is a great FB, I don't think he will be back in '08. He has been injured almost constantly over the last 2 years, and he is getting very old for the FB position. I think he will either retire, or by cut. I think Jeff Dugan will establish himself as the starting FB, and will also be the 3rd TE option. He is a versatile player that will benefit the offense in many different ways. For the TEs, I think Shiancoe will continue to improve and develop into one of our best receiving options. In our run based, west coast offense, a TE that can be used as a check down, and can also make plays in the seam is a true asset, and Shiancoe is a perfect fit for that. I also think that Kleinsasser will go the route of Richardson and be released. I've always felt that he doesn't seem to fit with what Childress is doing, and that they have never been quite on the same page. I think we will end up drafting a TE in the second day of the draft.

    WR.
    The receivers will be very hard to judge in '07 do the lack of solid play at quarterback, and our run first offense will take away from the number of opportunities for them to make plays. However, I think there will be a number of things that will be made clear by the end of the year. First, Bobby Wade will be our leading receiver, and will be very solid for the whole season. Troy Williamson will make a couple of plays and will be the starter for the season, but will never live up to his 7th overall expectations. Sidney Rice will see time as our 3rd receiver and red zone threat, and will continue to improve as the season goes on. By the end of the year, he will be pushing Williamson for the starting spot and poeple with have high expectations for him in '08. Aundrae Allison will get the job done as a 4th receiver and kick returner, however I don't think he will ever become anything more than that. By the end of the year, it will be obvious that we need some outside help. This is the last year of Larry Fitzgerald's rookie contract, and he may be looking to get our of Arizona. If he does, he would likely look at the Vikings because he grew up here, and also because of desperate need of playmaking wide outs. Also, we have a ton of cap space going into 2008, and the front office knows that they will need to bring in some big names to the offense if they are going to sell tickets in 08. I think we will sign him to a huge deal, and he will be the person who brings back the explosiveness to the Vikings.

    OL.
    Towards the end of the season, I think the left side of the line will have established dominance, and will not be an issue going into 2008. However, the right side of the line will continue to struggle, and will be one of our key concerns going into the draft. With our first draft pick, I think we will select Jake Long out of Michigan to anchor our RT spot, giving us arguably the best offensive line in football. Ryan Cook will stay along as backup, and probably be switched back to primarily being a center behind Birk. And while Hicks will not have shown anything great, I think he will continue to improve, and will be back as the starting right guard for '08, though this will be his last year to prove himself.

    DL.
    This season, our defensive line will establish itself as the best in the NFL. Kevin and Pat Williams will be utterly dominating and will both be back in the pro bowl at the end of the year. Udeze, James, Edwards and Robison will all rotate in at the DE position, and we will see good production from all of them. Fred Evans will also show why the Vikings took a chance on him, and he will be solid when he is called on to spell one of the DTs. This will be the area of least concern at the end of they year, and will be for the next couple of years.

    LB.
    The Minnesota linebackers will be one of the most under rated groups in the league, and will be solid all year long. Henderson will show why we gave him a contract extension, and he will be a leader on the defensive, and will lead the team in sacks. Chad Greenway will continue to learn and progress, and by the start of '08, he will be a defensive force. Ben Leber will also continue to be consistent, though he will never become a star. Dontarrious Thomas and Heath Farwell will both be excellent on special teams and will be back in 2008 as our backup linebackers.
    Also, Rufus Alexander will be back next year, coming off of IR, and will play a special teams roll.

    CB.
    Winfield will continue to make plays in both the passing and running games, and will be our greatest asset in the secondary. He should have a great year, and be just as sharp in 2008. Cedric Griffin will improve greatly over the course of the year, and will establish himself as a solid starting cornerback in the NFL. Also, Marcus McCauley will show that he has the potential to be great, seeing a lot of time as our nickel corner, and will be groomed as Winfield's eventual replacement. However there will be no clear 4th string corner, and I can see the Vikings taking a cornerback in the first day of the draft.

    S.
    Darren Sharper will continue to be one of the best in the league at making plays on defense, and will finish the year with a bunch of interceptions. Dwight Smith will also play well though will not receive the same attention as Sharper, and will be one of the most under rated players on the defense. And although Tank Williams and Mike Doss will do their parts, I don't think they will both be need, and one or both of them will be released at the end of the season. The Vikings will spend one of their first day picks on a safety to be brought in to learn behind Sharper until he retires.

    K/P.
    Kluwe we emerge as a premiere punter in the league, and will go to the pro bowl. He will get a long contract extension and will be the Vikings punter for many years to come. Longwell will also play very well, and will also be back in 2008. Overall, our kicking game will be very solid, and will not be an issue.

    Coaching.
    I think the coaches for the most part will stay the same (maybe a new offensive coordinator), however I think that the system will change some. The defense will continue what it is doing the most part, as it will be dominant for most of the season. However the offense will see some changes. In '08 I think we will see a much more aggresive offense, in order to showcase Larry Fitzgerald, however mostly because Brad Childress knows that he has to win and sell tickets to keep his job. The running game will stay be heavily favored, however our new quarterback will take more looks down the field. With another year under their belt, the coaches will all be more comfortable, and will be more efficient, and will make better decisions than in 2007.

    After the free agency period and the draft, I think our final starting roster going into training camp will look something like this:

    QB: Donovan McNabbâ€Â* â€Â* Or other available veteran
    RB: Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor
    FB: Jeff Dugan
    TE: Visanthe Shiancoe, *Rookie*
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Troy Williamson, Aundrae Allison
    LT: Bryant McKinnie
    LG: Steve Hutchinson
    C: Matt Birk
    RG: Artis Hicks
    RT: Jake Long

    LE: Kenechi Udeze, Brian Robison
    RE: Erasmus James, Ray Edwards
    DT: Kevin Williams, Pat Williams
    LOLB: Ben Leber
    MLB: E.J. Henderson
    ROLB: Chad Greenway
    CB: Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McCauley, *Rookie*
    FS: Dwight Smith
    SS: Darren Sharper

    K: Ryan Longwell
    P: Chris Kluwe


  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Going Into 2008

    While I understand your frustration, and liked the breakdown, the fact is that week 3 is way too early to be looking ahead to 2008.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Going Into 2008

    I will cut open my skull and stir the contents if I have to start reading mock drafts after week 3.
    Insanity.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Going Into 2008

    "Prophet" wrote:
    I will cut open my skull and stir the contents if I have to start reading mock drafts after week 3.
    Insanity.
    I bet you wont.
    All talk...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Going Into 2008

    ROTFFLMMFAO!!!


    Newbie...the season ain't over YET!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Going Into 2008

    Although I agree with Nodack that this is a bit early for this, it appears you put alot of effort and thought into it.

    I reserve the right to comment as we get closer to the end of the season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Going Into 2008

    Week 3 is way to early.
    We have a lot of weeks to improve in certain aspects of our team.
    We will improve some, others not.
    But week 3?

  8. #8
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: Going Into 2008


  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Going Into 2008

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Maybe the wrong image to use.
    In the movie, it turned out Chicken Little was right... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Going Into 2008

    "aaeyers" wrote:
    After a 1-2 start to some of the worst teams in the league, and an extremely tough schedule for most of the rest of the season, its time to start thinking about getting ready for next year.
    While I appreciate the effort put forth into crafting this post, I disagree 100% with the message.

    It is NOT time to start thinking about next year.
    It is NOT time to start looking at the 2008 draft.

    It IS time to think about beating the Packers.


    NEXT.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Salary cap #s (25 Aug. 2008)
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
  2. EURO 2008
    By scottishvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 295
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
  3. Eurovision 2008
    By AngloVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
  4. PHoD looks back on the 2008 off season (2008 draft results include)!
    By PurpleHornsOfDestruction in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM
  5. Be like the Jetsons in 2008
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 05:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •