Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

Goal Line Ineptness

We've been stoned several times this year with one of the best RB's in the league. Not sure what the problem is but........... I'd like to see TJ or Webb come in and do a bootleg giving us a QB run threat. Either of those guys could have skipped their way in last Sunday, where the old man was scared to run (not blaming him, given the injuries)

But........that would take imagination and guts from the HC.

Oh well. :unsure:
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Goal Line Ineptness

Because we pass, pass, pass then run on fourth down, and occasionally we don't get it.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

If the blocking is even half ass AD will get there...but if hes getting hit behind the line, its tough but AD will get it done if given a chance...He gives all he has

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

soonerbornNbred wrote:
    If the blocking is even half ass AD will get there...but if hes getting hit behind the line, its tough but AD will get it done if given a chance...He gives all he has
    And fucks up. In the Miami game, he cut up into the line rather than head for the pylon, as the play was designed.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2010/09/adrian-peterson-revisits-cruci.html

In the Patriots game, he missed a hole to the left of Loadholt and, again, failed to break outside where there was NO ONE between himself and the pylon.

(A shot-by-shot representation of that play was on Paul Allen's show page on KFAN.com, but it has rolled off the screen).

Point is - get off the pipe. AD can do plenty wrong.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

SkolPensacola is offline Training Camp

We have to get some better goal-line plays. 1st & goal on the 1 or 2, everyone in the house knows AD is getting the ball, so I'd like to see some more play-action stuff. I know that makes people cringe considering the ol' INT slinger is capable of turning the ball over at any given point, but if they're thinking AD, why not try to throw 'em a curve ball. If it's not there, then pound AD in behind Hutch & McKinnie on 2nd & 3rd.
    None

Mr Anderson is online now Jersey Retired

SkolPensacola wrote:
    We have to get some better goal-line plays. 1st & goal on the 1 or 2, everyone in the house knows AD is getting the ball, so I'd like to see some more play-action stuff. I know that makes people cringe considering the ol' INT slinger is capable of turning the ball over at any given point, but if they're thinking AD, why not try to throw 'em a curve ball. If it's not there, then pound AD in behind Hutch & McKinnie on 2nd & 3rd.
    Peterson had two carries inside the 5 on sunday. One was a TD.

5 touches inside the 10. 2 TDs.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

I'd like to see the defense get spread out more often on goaline/short situations. Some 3 or 4 wide to keep the D honest, and to create more space for AD. He works much better in space, and all those power and goaline formations leave no space, clog up the field, and tell the defense what we're doing. Clearly it's not his strength but our coach keeps trying to pound him into a pile of humanity for no gain. Spread out would also mean smaller bodies on the field, and those are easier to run over.

Mr Anderson is online now Jersey Retired

Reignman wrote:
    I'd like to see the defense get spread out more often on goaline/short situations. Some 3 or 4 wide to keep the D honest, and to create more space for AD. He works much better in space, and all those power and goaline formations leave no space, clog up the field, and tell the defense what we're doing. Clearly it's not his strength but our coach keeps trying to pound him into a pile of humanity for no gain. Spread out would also mean smaller bodies on the field, and those are easier to run over.
    Likewise.

I've been an advocate of running Peterson out of lighter formations for a long time.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Say is all.

http://www.purplepride.org/component/rssfactory_pro/story/vikings-news-percy-harvin-sidney-rice-and-fourth-down-struggles/6572
    Fourth-and-1 fail: The Vikings have failed to convert three consecutive 4th-and-goals from the 1-yard line, something Childress attributes more to execution than bad luck.

After marching 82 yards downfield on 16 plays in the fourth quarter, Favre threw an incomplete pass to tight end Jeff Dugan on a rollout to his right with 6:18 left. All options were "pretty much gloved," Childress said.

Favre had the option to run into the end zone but probably wouldn't have made it.
    "Whether it's the execution of looking at it correctly or blocking it correctly, just haven't had the right numbers," Childress said.
    If you believe in the law of averages, it could mean good things for the next four attempts.