Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go Troy

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Go Troy

From.. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13504297.htm

Williamson to have a major role Sunday

After a solid start, Vikings rookie receiver Troy Williamson has largely been shelved during the second half of this season.

Over the past seven games, he has just four catches for 84 yards and nary a touchdown.

But coach Mike Tice said Williamson will be among three receivers highlighted in Sunday's season finale against the Chicago Bears.

"It's an opportunity I've been waiting for, and I want to make the best of it," Williamson said. "I plan on working hard this week, and do what I got to do. So hopefully everything will come out all right."

The best-case scenario: "A deep ball, or taking a hitch to the house."

Williamson scored two touchdowns in his first four NFL games. But his playing time decreased as veteran Koren Robinson, signed in September, got more acclimated in the offense. Since then, Williamson rarely talked to reporters, and his disappointment was palpable.

Asked if he was frustrated, Williamson said, "Somewhat. But I try not to use frustration because when frustration gets in the way, you stay off focus. I use it as a positive learning curve."

Williamson said he wasn't too upset because he was playing behind four proven veterans.

"When you've got people that are in front of you like that, you just learn from them and apply it to what you do," he said. "Then it makes you a better receiver."

While his statistics aren't overwhelming (22 catches for 360 yards and two TDs), Williamson hasn't necessarily been outdone by any of the other five receivers selected in the first round. Baltimore's Mark Clayton (chosen 22nd) leads the first-round receivers with 41 catches, Cleveland's Braylon Edwards (third overall) has the most yardage (512) and Jacksonville's Matt Jones (21st) has the most touchdowns (four).

"It might not have been as flashy a season as some would have liked," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said of Williamson. "But I think, without a doubt, Troy Williamson has an excellent future, and I think you saw some things from him to come."

Williamson fulfilled the Vikings' most basic expectation of him: He showcased elite speed. Against the Ravens on Sunday, Williamson ran a crossing route that might have netted 8 yards, but he burned past defenders to gain an additional 48.

"There are certain gears for certain situations," Williamson said.

Williamson said he can be an every-down receiver. But he needs to capitalize.

"I just need to keep working hard and do what I've got to do as a receiver, and keep learning," he said. "Just put myself in good situations and keep making plays."
    Here's to some big plays sunday.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Re: Go Troy

it kinda sucks for Troy to get his big shot against the number 1 defense in the league.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    it kinda sucks for Troy to get his big shot against the number 1 defense in the league.
    Trial by fire! It will just be nice to see the guy get some more PT.

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Hey maybe he'll light it up against the number 1 defense and we'll all love him even more!
    ;-)

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

I hope this guy performs great sunday. I cant wait to see him next year with daunte and koren on the other side.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I hope he does something, he's been bust material so far this year IMO. Let me have it guys!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

yeah, the funny part is vasher and tillman arent typical number 1 corners. That defense is good, but very overrated. the front 4 and urlacher make that defense.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Hopefully our o line can stop their tough front four!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I hope he does something, he's been bust material so far this year IMO. Let me have it guys!
    LOL

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully our o line can stop their tough front four!
    That would be a refreshing change but it probably ain't gonna happen. I don't think Chicago's corners are that great but what the problem will be is if we can establish enough of a running game to have them stop the blitz and give Williamson enough time to get down the field.
    We haven't done a good job of that all year and I don't see it happening with Chicago, either.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast