GM, or Coach/GM Who?

Jeff Fisher ,Gruden
    Cowher,...
    but they want to coach...and i think thats a good thing,,,,they draft the players don' t work. bye..and i think the above desereve the chance,Ziggy got $ to lure someone away...
    anyother ideas out there ?
    im just a wild and crazy guy
    None

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    It is a crap shoot.

There are very good GM and coach combinations (two individuals rather than one combo position) in the NFL, but it takes a good amount of luck to hire top people in both areas.

Then again, better GM's are often better at hiring the better coaches, so it may be better to hire a great GM first. The problem is that, unlike coaches, not many people have any track records to go by to predict if they may be future great NFL GM's.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Hire the GM first. I would suggest interviewing several first rather than hiring the first one that Wilf talks to as that has not worked out so well up to this point.

Then let the GM evaluate the HC, Staff and roster and make changes accordingly.

Make sure the GM hired has a vision for a team identity and that the identity is one the owner agrees with and then build the staff and roster to fit that identity.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    The normal process is to hire a GM first and let him either bring in his own staff (to include coaches) or keep/retain the ones that are already on the pay roster.

Rationale for that is you want to have a organization that is on the same page wrt how things are going to be run.

Starting first with the schemes (def/off). If the GM is a WCO guy he would tend to lean towards WCO HC's and offensive coordinators, and position coaches to support that. Additionally he would bring in scouts that knew how to find talent that matches the scheme.

Same rationale follows for the defensive side of the ball.

This article gives a brief synopsis of all the GMs. What organizations look to do when picking a GM is to find someone that is a staff member (assistant GM type guy) from one of the successfull organizations if they can't find a proven GM out there that might be looking for a change.

NFL: Ranking The General Managers 2010 | Daily Dose

A few cats I would look into.....

Ron Hughes, College Scouting Coordinator (Steelers)
    Brandon Hunt, Pro Personnel Coordinator (Steelers)
    Kevin Abrams Assistant General Manager (Giants)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    The normal process is to hire a GM first and let him either bring in his own staff (to include coaches) or keep/retain the ones that are already on the pay roster.

Rationale for that is you want to have a organization that is on the same page wrt how things are going to be run.

Starting first with the schemes (def/off). If the GM is a WCO guy he would tend to lean towards WCO HC's and offensive coordinators, and position coaches to support that. Additionally he would bring in scouts that knew how to find talent that matches the scheme.

This article gives a brief synopsis of all the GMs. What organizations look to do when picking a GM is to find someone that is a staff member (assistant GM type guy) from one of the successfull organizations if they can't find a proven GM out there that might be looking for a change.

You aren't considering Studwell?
    I think he should have been given authority above Spielman.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    You aren't considering Studwell?
    I think he should have been given authority above Spielman.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Scott, alot and think that since the Wilfs have put more focus on scouting things have improved, however, we seem to miss on a few positions each and every year.......OL for instance.

I look to the cat in charge of scouting for that and that falls on Scotts head.

Nope, I think you have to look outside the organization. Find a guy who has a mind for the schemes we run, or at least a variation that wouldn't take to much to fix what we do, let him clean house on the coaching staff as well as the scouts who aren't pulling their load and get things back on a even keel.

Maybe Scott is one of those guys that survives the cut.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

most coaches would like some input. In Tennesse,Young was forced on Fisher by Adams..so the rumor goes
    and it did't end well...
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

after reading that( thanks for the link) Speilman looks safe...
    None