Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8mlC3mWW4

Very nice purple tint in the first few images.
    After this mode enhancing song I feel like 10 and 6 is very possible for many (as yet) unfounded reasons.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    IF:

~IF the coaching staff is successful in making the changes needed to fix the problems the Vikings have stumbled over for years, we should be much much better.
    ~IF our OL plays like the NFL Network thought they would last year (and without the further improvements that have been made), our QB and elite RB should have very good years.
    ~IF our defensive adjustments create a middle of the road defense (ranked let's say 12-15th), losses we had last year will be LEFT to last year.
    ~IF Patterson becomes the elite WR we all think he might be and Jennings gets back to form, we might out-do the 1-2 punch that the Bears boast.

IF most of these things happen, 10-6 is well within our grasp.
    IF ALL these things happen, 12-4 is not "dreaming", but a distinct possibility.

IF IF IF... but:
    Remember Moss's first year? Did ANYONE expect us to go 15-1?! When a team turns it around, it happens FAST and it takes the league by storm. Why not OUR team? Why not now?

We spend so much time parsing our thoughts due to the amount of times we have been left down. But this is the season for dreaming, and the worst that could happen if the Vikings implode is saying, "Damn, I really thought they would be better this year." And, being Vikings FANS, isn't that how we are supposed to feel?
    Last edited by drewlovs; 05-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

A "Glass is Half Full" look at our schedule

Tha vikings should trade for Dez Bryant or wait to see if he hit FA nxt year and release jennings bryant would be a betta fix along wit patterson and resign wright if he perform

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Tha vikings should trade for Dez Bryant or wait to see if he hit FA nxt year and release jennings bryant would be a betta fix along wit patterson and resign wright if he perform
    Hell NO..

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    [/B]

Did you know there are 16 games in a season?!?!?!?!
    Yeah, just wanted to leave you hanging like a is-he-live-or-is-he-dead character at the end of a book from George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones series!!

I'm pretty convinced that even an average team's Luck on the Injury Front is the single biggest difference maker on their W-L numbers and playoff chances at the end of any given season.

For example, over the past 5 seasons the Vikings have gone to the playoffs twice, drafted in the top 5 twice, and had one middle of the road (6-10) record. I distinctly recall that Brett Favre team going into the playoffs with nearly every single starter still healthy and starting. Sure, a few key pieces missed time here and there, but we never experienced the run of injuries at a single position that we did in those terrible, bottom of the barrel years. Same could be said of our 10-6 year with Ponder starting...

In both of our terrible seasons during that time we had a huge rash of injuries pretty much take out an entire position. Last year it was our secondary. Call it the Curse of Cutting Winfield perhaps, but I'm pretty damn sure every other D-Back on our roster missed time with injuries last year. Same thing happened to our blocking/O-Line the season before we drafted Kalil. Charlie Johnson underperformed as surprise replacement for I'll Have Another Big-Mac McKinnie, Hutch, Herrera and Sully all missed games and played through injuries, and our top two TEs both missed multiple games too. Neither Mc-One-Hopper nor rookie Ponder had much of a chance to throw downfield that year.

So my answer there is a question. You tell me who will be missing more starters due to injury at the end of the year, and I'll tell you who wins that game and potentially the NFC North.

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

I'll concede your point, but point out myself MANY teams do well even after bad injuries.

The fact that we implode when it happens to us tells us we have problems coaching the second and third levels of our team.

Hopefully, that problem has been fixed with the hiring of Zimmer et al.

There are always a couple of teams every year that on paper look to do some great things. For instance, the Redskins look MUCH improved... but they also added Jackson, and that could spell disaster if they lose a few close ones early in the season.

The Broncos added a LOT of great players, but remember, the Dodgers did that 2 years ago and the SF Giants beat the crap out of them (a baseball analogy, but some things DO translate across different sports). Star players need to gel with other star players, and too many can spell doom for a team.

There is ALWAYS at least one (usually TWO) teams that were one player away from winning the whole thing that end up having losing seasons. The Falcons and Texans last year, the Jets a couple of years ago (I just watched Hard Knocks on the 2010 Jets pre-season) come to mind. What that shows is their "almost" season was half great play, and half luck of the draw and things going their way. Worst, older veterans lose a half step, and in the NFL, that means a LOT.

Then there are teams like ours; teams that looked horrible on paper, but when you get into the minutia, you realize they were not nearly as bad as you thought. The key problems (coaching, QB problems, a defensive identity along with good leaders) have been addressed. THOSE teams "surprise" everyone by beating the a fore mentioned teams with relative ease, and suddenly they are no longer the joke everyone thought they were.

It remains to be seen if we added the right people to become THAT team. Hell, we might even implode worst than last year, and the final games of the 2014 season will be spent giving Bridgewater reps and seeing who will be kept the next off-season.

I for one do not see this happening. Will we just be much better, or dominate? That really depends on Zimmer and company's ability to pick the right players and the attitude they give to our team. Zimmer really like Barr; Turner really liked Bridgewater. Like the movie Draft Day, they got BOTH players they wanted (though I think Zimmer would have taken Mack or Clowney if either dropped to him). NOW is the time to see if our coaches have the correct vision for 2014.

Al Davis once said, "A lot of coaches like to take what the other team gives them; I like to take what I want and make them try to stop me." Hopefully, our team has THAT attitude this year!!

phaninphx is offline Training Camp
    I like your enthusiasm drewslove but I think it's a stretch. I think best case scenario is wild card bubble. I think we will be a very dangerous team by the time we move into our new dome. I just hope AP has enough gas in the tank by then. There are a lot of new faces on our roster and coaching staff and will take some time to gel. Lets not forget our beloved home field advantage is no more.
    With that being said, I think we will be better than most people think. Our team is definitely on the rise. Most people forget that we weren't all that bad by the end of last season. We should have beat GB handily and we shot ourselves in the foot in Baltimore with our lousy ST and secondary. We just had such a lousy start that we had been written off by Halloween.

See, I agree with your assessment of last year; I would go even further by saying there re a couple more games that we should have easily won, but that prevent D that has been talked about in another thread reared its ugly head.

So in essence, last year's team SHOULD have been 8-8. I would submit this year's team is MUCH better. As such, expecting them to win a couple of extra games doesn't seem too far out there, and winning FOUR is just expecting a big improvement.

phaninphx is offline Training Camp
    I still think you're being a little too optimistic. There are always 2-4 games that come down to a few plays and could go either way. To go from 5-10-1 to 11-5 with as many changes as we've had is a lot to ask of any team. We're headed in the right direction but not quite there yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast