Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Gimme a spoon. I'll eat a little crowe.

I have been thinking lately. For a long time now I have been criticizing Childress for every little move he made since Starting Brad Johnson over Helen Keller and calling Hail Mary's on 4th and inches. However, for no apparent reason, I just woke up and started to begin having faith in him. No reason I can think of though. His FA signings are questionable, his first season was sub-par, and his team looks way below average as of now, but I still have faith.

Hear me out now before calling for my head.

We finished 6-10. The first time we played the Bears we should have won. Chester Taylors fumble was in my opinion what lost us that game. Childress can't help that. That's 7-9 right there if holds onto the ball. I also understand he had no one else to choose in favor of Brad Johnson last year. That and our receiving corps were some of the worst in the league, which should explain why we ran the ball all the time.

The good news however, is Childress has made some great signings and draft picks last year. Chester Taylor turned out to be a great pick up for us, while Hutch was solid as expected and Leber did a good enough job to earn his spot. Also, he did bring in Tomlin who suprised most of us. His draft wasn't bad either. I think it's safe to say the majority of us would have drafter Greenway and that that was a safe pick. T-Jack in the 2nd left me scratching my head, but after seeing the potential he has, I am a believer. Ryan Cook is still up for grabs, but he doesn't look horrible, and his size is something that can't be taught. Ray Edwards and Cedric Griffin make him look pretty bright though. I can't complain about either of them. Overall, I think he had a pretty good draft. Possibly a really good draft.

His play calling could use a little work, but with a real QB now we might see some new things. I am still not sure why I am all of a sudden having all this faith in him, but I like it. Contrary to what we all think, we do not know everything about football. Let's hope our guys in the front office do.

Hopefully these new signings ave some kind of gift we don't see. Something only an NFL coach can see and use.

I hope to God I am right.

We will see soon enough. I want to give him one more chance.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Gimme a spoon. I'll eat a little crowe.

"baumy300" wrote:
    I have been thinking lately. For a long time now I have been criticizing Childress for every little move he made since Starting Brad Johnson over Helen Keller and calling Hail Mary's on 4th and inches. However, for no apparent reason, I just woke up and started to begin having faith in him. No reason I can think of though. His FA signings are questionable, his first season was sub-par, and his team looks way below average as of now, but I still have faith.

Hear me out now before calling for my head.

We finished 6-10. The first time we played the Bears we should have won. Chester Taylors fumble was in my opinion what lost us that game. Childress can't help that. That's 7-9 right there if holds onto the ball. I also understand he had no one else to choose in favor of Brad Johnson last year. That and our receiving corps were some of the worst in the league, which should explain why we ran the ball all the time.

The good news however, is Childress has made some great signings and draft picks last year. Chester Taylor turned out to be a great pick up for us, while Hutch was solid as expected and Leber did a good enough job to earn his spot. Also, he did bring in Tomlin who suprised most of us. His draft wasn't bad either. I think it's safe to say the majority of us would have drafter Greenway and that that was a safe pick. T-Jack in the 2nd left me scratching my head, but after seeing the potential he has, I am a believer. Ryan Cook is still up for grabs, but he doesn't look horrible, and his size is something that can't be taught. Ray Edwards and Cedric Griffin make him look pretty bright though. I can't complain about either of them. Overall, I think he had a pretty good draft. Possibly a really good draft.

His play calling could use a little work, but with a real QB now we might see some new things. I am still not sure why I am all of a sudden having all this faith in him, but I like it. Contrary to what we all think, we do not know everything about football. Let's hope our guys in the front office do.

Hopefully these new signings ave some kind of gift we don't see. Something only an NFL coach can see and use.

I hope to God I am right.

We will see soon enough. I want to give him one more chance.
    Adequately Articulated My Friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Another thing I just thought of.

Chester Taylor was a back up and look how he turned out. All he is doing is signing guys with experience but no wear and tear on their bodies.

Too early to tell yet, but he might have something going here

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I had already bought into Chilly (for now), but still wonder WTF when I watch some of the moves made. I can understand why we haven't been wheelin and dealin in FA, because there isn't much out there, but the deals that have been made make me wonder. Wade couldn't cut it with the Bears or Carolina, two teams with bad offense. The only reason to believe he'll do better for us is that OUR offense is worse. Still, 5 years/18 mil. And what about this Shilcoe..Shillique...shil...what about this LB we signed? Another 18 mil for a back up? I guess he's supposed to be a special teams monster, but whaaa? These moves won't sink us (I hope) so no big whoop, and I'm a guessin that someone in the Front Office knows what they are doin, then I remember....Isn't Rick Spielman in our front office now? Holy Bat Dip, now I am concerned! Speilman totally sunk the Fins! He set them back for years. So is it Chilly making moves that he feels fit his overall scheme for the long haul? or is it Speilman, just doin cuz he's gotta do what he's gonna do? I tremble.

"HornedHat" wrote:
    I had already bought into Chilly (for now), but still wonder WTF when I watch some of the moves made. I can understand why we haven't been wheelin and dealin in FA, because there isn't much out there, but the deals that have been made make me wonder. Wade couldn't cut it with the Bears or Carolina, two teams with bad offense. The only reason to believe he'll do better for us is that OUR offense is worse. Still, 5 years/18 mil. And what about this Shilcoe..Shillique...shil...what about this LB we signed? Another 18 mil for a back up? I guess he's supposed to be a special teams monster, but whaaa? These moves won't sink us (I hope) so no big whoop, and I'm a guessin that someone in the Front Office knows what they are doin, then I remember....Isn't Rick Spielman in our front office now? Holy Bat Dip, now I am concerned! Speilman totally sunk the Fins! He set them back for years. So is it Chilly making moves that he feels fit his overall scheme for the long haul? or is it Speilman, just doin cuz he's gotta do what he's gonna do? I tremble.
    I thought the same things. But keep in mind, Schiancoe played behind Shockey. Shockey is a great TE and most other players in the NFL wouldn't be able to beat him out. Just like how Chester played behind Jamal Lewis. The LB we signed (Curuirurururiii or whatever) isn't even a guarantee for a spot on the roster. Bobby Wade isn't our answer at WR, but he isn't an automatic bust either. Check out his kick return stats. He has plenty of upside to go with that downside we all are buying into.

We are going to be a young team for a bit. The way it looks though, is that Childress is going to try and find players who fit into his system. After coaching football for a year I easily buy that. Sometimes a smarter player is far better than an athletic one.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

What I like about our Chilly era signings is he is bringing in people who are hungry and excited to be a Viking.
    I always get a sense from Big Name FAs that the team that signs them is "lucky".
    I like the guys who want to go out and prove that they are worth what they are getting paid -- not the guys who think they are getting paid their worth.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

It's just a matter of giving him a chance.
    I was pro-anybody-but-Tice and now I got that wish.
    Now I'm neutral, leaning toward negative.
    Personally, I would give him three years.
    To judge him now and say he's a hero or a flop is like saying, "Hey, just call me a fucking moron", and that would be a compliment.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"baumy300" wrote:
    "HornedHat" wrote:
    I thought the same things. But keep in mind, Schiancoe played behind Shockey. Shockey is a great TE and most other players in the NFL wouldn't be able to beat him out. Just like how Chester played behind Jamal Lewis. The LB we signed (Curuirurururiii or whatever) isn't even a guarantee for a spot on the roster. Bobby Wade isn't our answer at WR, but he isn't an automatic bust either. Check out his kick return stats. He has plenty of upside to go with that downside we all are buying into.

We are going to be a young team for a bit. The way it looks though, is that Childress is going to try and find players who fit into his system. After coaching football for a year I easily buy that. Sometimes a smarter player is far better than an athletic one.
    Remember another thing....
    We have to spend a certain percentage of our CAP.
    I just can't fing what that number is.
    I bet if you plug in what we paid for the 3 and what we WOULD/COULD pay for Curtis.... throw in our drafts and you would be at that number or slightly higher.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Prophet" wrote:
    To judge him now and say he's a hero or a flop is like saying, "Hey, just call me a fricken silly guy", and that would be a compliment.
    Yeah he deserves another fair chance in my book. He isn't a hero yet, but not a total goat yet either.

Maybe I just want something to believe in, but the more and more I thought about it, the more it made sense. He hasn't really done anything too stupid yet. I am just excited to see how this all plays out. I still think he has something up his sleeve.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    To judge him now and say he's a hero or a flop is like saying, "Hey, just call me a fricken silly guy", and that would be a compliment.
    Yeah he deserves another fair chance in my book. He isn't a hero yet, but not a total goat yet either.

Maybe I just want something to believe in, but the more and more I thought about it, the more it made sense. He hasn't really done anything too stupid yet. I am just excited to see how this all plays out. I still think he has something up his sleeve.

I sure hope it's up his sleeve, because I know for a fact, it's not on his head...That dome is slicker than a slick willy......LOL

I'll say what I said last year, I give him three years before I hug him or kick him in his ass.........I do have a warm fuzzy feeling about BC, he has made some good changes so far and had a very solid draft last year........If he can pull off another draft, the same caliber as last years, I truly believe we will see his plan start to come together.
    But only time and finale scores will tell the true stories....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast