MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

George Paton and Scott Studwell are awesome!

We have been giving praise to Rick Spielman all week. And deservingly so! but now it's time to give some credit to our unsung heroes: George Paton and Scott Studwell. George Paton is probably the best assistant GM in the NFL. Widely respected by his peers, he will almost be guaranteed his own front office next year as a first time GM. Along with Paton, Scott Studwell has quietly been doing an awesome job as our Scouting / Pro Personnel director. Spielman might be the mad scientist behind all these great moves, but it's Studwell's scouting ability that has filled the Vikings roster with some of the best young up and coming talent in the NFL. Sorry Rob Brzezinski, no love yet! We'll see how these contracts end up haha.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yep. No better FO in the NFL.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Huh?

Where is the support for those statements?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

George Paton and Scott Studwell are awesome!

You are new around here then?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I actually think that George, Scott and Bryzcheapski, could all garner interest from other teams when it comes to GM duties.

Bryz was up against it this year when it came to the CAP and we still aren't out of the woods yet. If we lose someone during the season, they won't have much to work with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I actually think that George, Scott and Bryzcheapski, could all garner interest from other teams when it comes to GM duties.

Bryz was up against it this year when it came to the CAP and we still aren't out of the woods yet. If we lose someone during the season, they won't have much to work with.
    You have to think though, Bryz's job isn't always to make sure we have $30+ mil every year to work with. We've taken advantage of what we have, and got the guys we need. Sure, it would be great to get Cruz AND Jennings, plus Urlacher, Goldson and 3 first round picks, but unless you're the Redskins (who somehow don't have hte cap apply to them) or the Miami Heat, it just doesn't happen.

Bryz has done a great job for years keeping us in good shape. Sometimes we've come close, but for the most part, a job well done.

The exception, 2010. We were in do-or-die mode in 2009, that unfortunately didn't work out (Not because of failings from Bryz, but mistakes on the field such as 6 fumbles in one game). we were left in a sticky situation in 2010 becaue of Favre's 25+ mil cap hit. That's on Chilly IMO, nobody else. When you have a HC also doing personnel, you end up with a guy saying "We need him, no matter the cost", and we get him, but causes problems down the road.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    You have to think though, Bryz's job isn't always to make sure we have $30+ mil every year to work with. We've taken advantage of what we have, and got the guys we need. Sure, it would be great to get Cruz AND Jennings, plus Urlacher, Goldson and 3 first round picks, but unless you're the Redskins (who somehow don't have hte cap apply to them) or the Miami Heat, it just doesn't happen.

Bryz has done a great job for years keeping us in good shape. Sometimes we've come close, but for the most part, a job well done.

The exception, 2010. We were in do-or-die mode in 2009, that unfortunately didn't work out (Not because of failings from Bryz, but mistakes on the field such as 6 fumbles in one game). we were left in a sticky situation in 2010 becaue of Favre's 25+ mil cap hit. That's on Chilly IMO, nobody else. When you have a HC also doing personnel, you end up with a guy saying "We need him, no matter the cost", and we get him, but causes problems down the road.
    I actually think we have done a bad job the last 2 years. Rationale for that is I believe we should have a plan that covers down on extending players going into their last year and not letting them hit the FA market.

I know that most don't agree with me, but we are going to have some really good players, that are just coming into their own, leave us this year because other teams see their potential.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I actually think we have done a bad job the last 2 years. Rationale for that is I believe we should have a plan that covers down on extending players going into their last year and not letting them hit the FA market.

I know that most don't agree with me, but we are going to have some really good players, that are just coming into their own, leave us this year because other teams see their potential.
    I agree, and Jared Allen's contract made it very difficult to modify if he wanted to ride it out.

I also do not like one year free agent contracts with no team option for a second or third season.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

So what I've been saying is finally starting to sink in?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"