Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Geez, are we gonna sign anymore of our picks or not?

"josdin00" wrote:
    I remember reading an article a few weeks ago stating that the Vikings were looking to announce all of their signings at once. We all know that didn't happen, but notice that the did announce the signings of Eiland, Davis and Dugan all at the same time. My guess is that two or three of the remaining guys are already signed, and they're just waiting to make the announcement.

(no I don't remember where I read that article. I'd love to site it, but it was too long ago)

They were all announced at once probably because they were all 3 late round picks. It didn't take long to get them all to agree and sign their contracts, thus they were all pretty much done at the same time, thus announced at the same time. It is a little different when you get to 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their contracts take some time and are worked on at seperate times. When one gets done, it gets announced, because the other ones might take awhile to get done.

For whoever said that on KFAN they said udeze will still be in camp, but probably not the other guys, why? Did they explain why? I don't understand why we would be unable to get those others signed. There isn't too much negotiations that should go on for 3rd and 4th round picks, so their is no excuse for them not getting signed. Even most 2nd round picks are usually signed by the start. Are they spending all their time on udeze? There are however some teams that are behind us, I don't think the pack have any guys signed yet, and there are others too. It just bugs me that we ca't get these guys signed in time, maybe too long of vacations?

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I think the fact that many teams did not sign anyone early means that all the drafted players were just waiting to see how much the other guy was going to get so they could gage thier values. With that in mind I think the NFL should set guide lines has to how much a certain pick should get. Say a number one in the draft should get a flat 1 million signing bonus and 1 million for 1 year with certain incentives to be offered by the team. That might make signing these unproven players a little easier.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

On Kfan today they said the only person the foresee any problems getting into camp on time is Darrion Scott. Apparantely they hit a snag with his negotiations and the think part of the problem is that the vikings organization talked this guy up so much that he or should I say his agent in looking for more money then normally would be expected. They say everyone else looks like it is pretty much a done deal they forsee Udeze siging sometime tomorrow.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I guess I don't know much about the process of signing rookies, but I thought they did have a set limit as to how much rookies can make!

"little redhead" wrote:
    On Kfan today they said the only person the foresee any problems getting into camp on time is Darrion Scott. Apparantely they hit a snag with his negotiations and the think part of the problem is that the vikings organization talked this guy up so much that he or should I say his agent in looking for more money then normally would be expected. They say everyone else looks like it is pretty much a done deal they forsee Udeze siging sometime tomorrow.

OK, that sounds a little better. The scott situation is a little like the onterrio one last year. We started talking up onterio and how he could start, and his agent decided to ask for too much money. I bet the whole mixon being supended thing had something to do with this too. Since scott has been mentioned as a guy that could start in his place.

"dan3ski" wrote:
    I think the fact that many teams did not sign anyone early means that all the drafted players were just waiting to see how much the other guy was going to get so they could gage thier values. With that in mind I think the NFL should set guide lines has to how much a certain pick should get. Say a number one in the draft should get a flat 1 million signing bonus and 1 million for 1 year with certain incentives to be offered by the team. That might make signing these unproven players a little easier.

I agree that there needs to be better guidlines, or it is gonna get worse and worse every year. This year has been bad for getting guys signed before camp and it will probably be worse next year if nothing is done.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

They need to implement something that the NBA has done with rookie signings!! That's about all the NBA does right with their rookies!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

when I was listening Kfan reported that the they were having problems with Dontarrious Thomas's agent, that he wants more money and he will hold out Dontarrious until he gets it.

I didn't hear them say anything Darrion Scott only that he wasn't yet signed.

maybe they were reporting different things at different times.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I guess I don't know much about the process of signing rookies, but I thought they did have a set limit as to how much rookies can make!
    There is a "rookie pool" of money which, if I remember correctly, limits the amount of money that your rookies can count against the salary cap for that first year. That controls the first year base salary, at least a portion of the signing bonus, and any incentive clauses active in the first year. It doesn't control or limit anything in the subsequent years of a contract.

The NFL assigns each team a pool number after the draft based upon when they made their picks. Thats why some people wondered if there would be problems with Eli Manning's contract. He was drafted #1 overall, but the Giants drafted Rivers with the 4th pick before making the trade. Therefore, their pool number reflects the amount given to a #4 pick, and not a #1 pick.

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

You are right it was Thomas not Scott. I am sorry for the confusion I guess I still get my rookies messed up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast