Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Garrett Mills: Mr. Versatility - could be the Vikes' future H-back?

First, some background stuff.
    The Patriots were pissed after the Vikings claimed Garrett Mills of waivers
    http://min.scout.com/2/674956.html
    They apparently had big plans for this young kid who they drafted in 2006

May I be the first to say: In your face Belichick!!!!

;D

Now, to what I was originally going to bring up.
    Garrett Mills is a very versatility player. It has been said that he can play fullback, halfback, tight end, and even slot receiver. He is also a great special team player (also returned punts ) and even filled in as a deep snapper in a few games.
    The Vikings should be very happy cause this could look like an hell of a steal.

The Vikings could finally have their receiving tight end which they have been missing for quite a long time because Shiaonce and Kleinsasser clearly is not the future. Mills could contribute even more. His coach has compared him to H-back Chris Cooley and Mills has many of the abilities that could be used as an H-back for the Vikings.

He is listed as a thigh end, but have the typical size of a fullback, he's fast for his size (6-1, 241 lbs, 4.64 40-yard dash) He's a smart player and a great receiver who finds the holes in the defense, has great hands, and can catch the difficult ball in traffic. He's not very good in pass protection, but hopefully he'll work on that.

I'm very happy that the vikes picked this guy up and I'm looking forward to see him in action the next seasons to come.

For more information, see links:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...=18977&pcid=41

http://ind.scout.com/2/519659.html

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Garrett Mills: Mr. Versatility - could be the Vikes' future H-back?

Wasn't Cooley a FB before he moved to Tight end??

I know some people around here like him, like you i havn't seen him play
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

HEY
    Blog Entries

"Mr-holland" wrote:

Cooley is a H-back (not to be confused with a halfback) which is a mix of fullback and tight end. He sometimes lines up in the backfield as a FB, while other times on the line as a TE. He has also been used a lot as a slot receiver. I think this makes him very similar to Mills since Mills has the same kind of versatility.

I think the "H" in H-back stands for "hybrid" since the position is a hybrid of a FB and a TE.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"HEY" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:

Cooley is a H-back (not to be confused with a halfback) which is a mix of fullback and tight end. He sometimes lines up in the backfield as a FB, while other times on the line as a TE. He has also been used a lot as a slot receiver. I think this makes him very similar to Mills since Mills has the same kind of versatility.

I think the "H" in H-back stands for "hybrid" since the position is a hybrid of a FB and a TE.
    but what i meant is that he was listed as a FB at first and now as a TE right?
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Our offense requires the tight end to be able to block, and Mills is just to light to line up off tackle. He may be used in two tight end formations for short to mid yardage, and goaline to give us a run/pass option. He is a good athlete and will contribute on special teams and give Tapeh a break lining up at fullback. It will be interesting to see how Bevell and the Chiller plan to use him.

HEY
    Blog Entries

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:

but what i meant is that he was listed as a FB at first and now as a TE right?
    sry, thought u didn't know what a H-back was (should have known better ) and about ur question, don't know, but I think he was listed as a TE i college. No wait, I remember that he led the NFC fullbacks in the Pro Bowl fan voting in 2005 so I guess he really was a FB first. He didn't make the Pro Bowl though.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very nice post/thread.

I've been saying all offseason that I thought this guy was gonna line up at FB a bit this year, if nothing else, because of his size.

Truth be told, if one were to look closely at our TE's on the roster, all (with the exception of Shanc) have played at both FB and TE positions.

I think this staff loves to use the more versatile H-back type sets/schemes that come from having that flexibility.

Back to Mills.
    I can see him lining up as a FB and then either splitting out wide or off T depending on what the D shows.
    Should be fun to watch.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice post/thread.

I've been saying all offseason that I thought this guy was gonna line up at FB a bit this year, if nothing else, because of his size.

Truth be told, if one were to look closely at our TE's on the roster, all (with the exception of Shanc) have played at both FB and TE positions.

I think this staff loves to use the more versatile H-back type sets/schemes that come from having that flexibility.

Back to Mills.
    I can see him lining up as a FB and then either splitting out wide or off T depending on what the D shows.
    Should be fun to watch.
    totally
    !

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I hope so. Denny Green was the first Vikings coach to employ the H back into the offense and the offensive teams he put on the field were more productive than what we have had for a few years.

HEY
    Blog Entries

[size=12pt]Opponents find it tough to match up on Vikings' Mills[/size]
    By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

link: http://www.startribune.com/sports/28337139.html

"He causes matchup problems," Vikings tight ends coach Jimmie Johnson said. "You kind of think about what Indianapolis has done with Dallas Clark. Having a guy that they can split out and cause matchup problems for the defense where they have to decide whether they want to be in their base personnel or in their nickel [passing] personnel. ... I'm pretty sure that most linebackers in this league and some safeties can't cover him."
    I like Mills and I think he is our best TE/FB when it comes to the receiving part. He's an excellent route-runner, he's fast, and has shure hands. We already made a change at QB, why not make a change at the TE position too?

I say we bench Shiancoe, and make Mills our starter. Mills been on the bench way too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast