Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrigan91 View Post
    Hello Vikings fans, Redskins fan coming in peace. I think this is an intriguing "measuring stick" game for both sides. Every single game so far for the Redskins has been close, except maybe the Saints game but even then there was a hail mary with 1 second left. I doubt that changes this week so I'm expecting a nail biter.

First and foremost I hope its a clean game and no injuries on either side. Skins are banged up enough as it is, we don't need any more. Unfortunately another Vikings forum has been calling the Redskins dirty, and that they purposely blew out APs knee last year, and then in the same thread were hoping that they could concuss RGIII again. I'm guessing that is the forum for the less intelligent fans than this one, which is why I'm here in peace and not at that other joke.

For me, it all comes down to if our Defense looks like it did against ATL last week. It was the first time the coverage was at least average on the WRs, but Gonzalez burned us. The earlier games this year were all littered with big plays against our Corners and Safeties (I guess you can't have depth when you're playing 18mil shorter than everyone else).

I agree with your thoughts, except a few points in the 2 quoted above.

The one strength I do see is the Redskins rushing game. I know that many Vikings fans aren't worried about Morris, but neither were the other teams. Tampa Bay had the #1 Rush Defense in the league when we played them, but not after that game. The Zone scheme is the one area I think we can keep on track. If Kyle Shanahan can manage to keep his play calling consistent and not get too hokey with crazy plays I think the rushing game will work well.

Its no secret we're not doing well on 3rd down on either side of the ball. That stat is a bit misleading though on offense. Our drive conversion rate is at 68%, which is more more "middle-of-the-pack". Much of this is because we're moving towards a more explosive 1st and 2nd down scheme to try to not see 3rd down at all. Its not always working of course, but the redskins are still a top 10 offense in scoring (8th at 28 pts/game), despite that 3rd down statistic.

Anyways, again I hope its a good clean game and exciting to watch. It seems both these franchises may be getting out of their ruts and moving towards more success.
    I can probably guess what other Vikngs site you were on... They are called rubes for a reason. I don't recall anyone here thinking the Redskins purposely injured AD, and I honestly hate injuries regardless of the team.

I am honestly a little surprised that RGIII is playing. He may be symptom free but it is easier to get a second concussion this soon after the first. I love RGIII as a player, and I don't want to see him sustain anything more serious. And considering how Cousins played, I would rest RGIII for another week. Doesn't look like that is going to happen though.

I expect the Vikings to put a lot of pressure on him, not in the hopes of reinjuring him (nobody wants that) but to try and rattle him and make him hesitate before taking off on the run.

I want a good clean game as well. I am excited and nervous all at the same time.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Saw this cool pic on the 1500 ESPN Twin Cities page and thought I'd repost it:

I'm not sure if this is a "must win" game per se, but definitely is a game that the Vikings very well can win. I think definitely we need to keep RG III from making big plays (both with his legs and arm) and stopping the run. Getting a lot of pressure from Allen and Co. so Griffith makes some ill-advised throws will be key. I'd like to see Ponder's progression continue to move forward and hopefully he makes some completions more than the dink and dunks to Harvin.

I don't think that if we lose the season's over, but definitely being 5-1 is sexier than 4-2. The game I think will have a huge indication as to whether or not we're truly playoff worthy is the first game against the Bears.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Why are Simpson and Carlson his "2 biggest offseason acquisitions", or are you only talking about free agency? If only FA, then I can agree with that. Schwartz was also solid pickup, and was vying for a starting position before the hernia. He is back now providing depth, and that is something we can always use on OL.
    Yes, I was referring to his FA acquisitions. I do like the pick up of Audie Cole too, based on what I saw in preseason & have wondered why we don't see more of him on the field except on ST. Was his preseason play just a few shinning moments & the rest of the time his play is more average?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I can't see this game as a "trap," at least not by the definition I know. That would imply that a) we are a good team (debatable at this point but not predicted earlier) and b) we are expected to win it fairly easily (even if they expect us to win, I don't think anyone would call it easy). Nor is it "the season" for us, although do count it as a critical game. No, to me "the season" will be how we perform in our division down the stretch.

Personally, I pegged this as our second most difficult test of the first half, back before the season started. The 49ers game was first, as almost everyone agreed, and we did much better in that game than anyone anticipated. I thought this one, though, would be tougher even than the Lions away game. The only thing that encourages me right now is the hope that RGIII may be a bit skittish and conservative after his first major big-league concussion.

I initially had us at 5-3 at the midway point, losing this one along with the 9ers and Lions games. We're a game ahead, and should be plus two but for that excruciating loss to the Colts in which we destroyed ourselves with penalties and poor focus. Now, though, we have a real chance at being 7-1 there, probably even 8-1. We'll need that momentum coming into the second half. That's where our mettle will truly be tested. I just don't want to hear everyone complaining when we lose a few late games, since we all know that second half of the schedule is brutal.

Thanks to our opponent visitor, Kerrigan91, for your input, btw. I am always happy to see dedicated fans of other teams who can remain civil while talking intelligently about our matchup, and most of the guys here feel the same way. For what it is worth, I too want to see a clean game with no major injuries. Here's hoping for an exciting match that gives both of us reason for optimism in the future. Oh, and please feel free to wreck the rest of your division for us.

Last edited by Traveling_Vike; 10-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Don't see this as a trap game either by any definition. If we play focused like we have been, with the exception of the Colts game, we should win this game. So far this season I think we have the better team. Rattle the QB, play good D, short pass with a few long shots and run baby run should be enough to take this one. Skol.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yes, I was referring to his FA acquisitions. I do like the pick up of Audie Cole too, based on what I saw in preseason & have wondered why we don't see more of him on the field except on ST. Was his preseason play just a few shinning moments & the rest of the time his play is more average?
    OK, I can agree with that then. I think Simpson will pan out (I actually really liked that pick) but Carlson is pretty much a waste.

Don't know what to say about Cole. I liked him in preseason. He has been active for the past three games but only on ST as far as I know. We may or may not hear his name this year, it depends on how healthy our LB corps is.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This Game At Washington means the season

Cole is just the wrong size to be anything except ST .

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I cant' see this as make or break, but it means something.

To be honest, I do not expect us to make the playoffs. If we keep it up, we certainly CAN, and I will be very impressed if we do. We're clicking right now, hopefully this is for real, and not just a hot streak.

Looking at our games: jags: We handled quite well, gave up some late garbage and almost lost. I still chalk that up as a good game. Colts, we sucked. Nothing more to be said. 49ers: We dominated. Lions: We did what we needed to do to win, despite not doing much on offense. Titans: We Dominated.

If we can win this game, I don't think there can be any doubters left. We are for real. Anybody can string together 3 wins in a row, the Lions were a good test to see if we're pretenders. This will be a good test to see if we're contenders. Skins are a good team, but we are better. Either way, I'll be enjoying this one.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    If we win this game I will probably start drinking the purple kool-aid again. Scarry....

WWBGD

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    as JA once said.. every game is as important as the previous, and next.

i wouldn't say this stands out as a make or break game, but it carries the same weight as every game. the more this mentality sinks in the players the more i like it!! our hockey coach used to say.

this is the most imporant game of your life before every game, he had 10 reasons why it was. he'd go into a rant about what would happen if we lost, and praise about what would happen if we won.

my reasons why this is an important game? we are a REBUILDING TEAM.. sure we're rebuilding with a dragster loaded with nitros.. but we are rebuilding. each snap, each game situation is a learning experience for some, and gelling time for the team. you can't replace game situations on the practice field.

besides that. 5-1 is a great record after 6 games when we were told by the anal-ysists we'd be maybe 2-4

proving again that we are a team that can go toe 2 toe with anyone in the league just adds confidence to the entire players, staff, and the purple nation!!

so i don't have ten.. i'm not the coach!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast