Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Viking in Arkansas is offline Training Camp
    Geez. You make it sound like we have no chance to win this game. Their WRs are far superior, their QB is unstoppable, and their secondary is too fast. I understand Washington has some talent. However, if we stick to what we have been doing we will be just fine. Run the ball, stop the run, and limit the big plays just like we have in our 4 wins and we will win.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    It's too early to say the season is riding on this game. I thought the Titans game was going to be a trap game but then we destroyed them, but I don't consider this a trap game because this isn't a "we should win this" type game. The Vikings have a history of struggling vs mobile QB's and in a lot of cases they've made us look down right awful. Throw in 2 other factors that we've struggled with the past decade, on the road, and on grass and to me this is looking like a loss.

However, we have owned Washington on the road lately, having won the last 3 games in DC, so it could go either way. It's all going to depend on which Viking team shows up. If that soft team from weeks 1 and 2 show up, it's going to be a long ugly day. If that more aggressive team shows up again, we stand a pretty good chance.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Lets wait until the latter part of the year before calling make or break games. We could win this game and lose most of the rest of our games or we could lose this game & still win most of the rest of our games. In 2003 we were 6-0 only to win 3 games the rest of the season.

Divisional games against the Bears or GB will be more key, IMO.

I'm not ready to pat Spielman on the back just yet. Kalil was a no brainer, but he does get credit for Smith, Harvin, AD & Ponder were here before Spielman was GM.

His 2 biggest offseason acquisitions were Simpson & Carlson & after 5 games into the season, neither has contributed much & now Simpson has an injury.

Want to give someone a lot of credit, give it to Williams our DC for our defensive aggressiveness.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-12-2012 at 05:33 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

This Game At Washington means the season

I hate to sound superstitious, bit wasn't AD dealing with an ankle issue going into Washington last December? Maybe we should sit #28 this week? Thoughts?
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Now hold on a second...

Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    The vikings have succeeded by playing traditional offenses, and lets be honest we havent played a GREAT QB since A.Luck and he torched us. Stafford is a good QB, but he had 2 dropped TDs, 4 dropped first downs, and his O-line left him dry. We only win by 7.
    First of all, Luck "torched" us? If I am not mistaken, he was 20/31 (64.5%) for 224 yards and 2 TDs, and the Colts barely beat us with a last second FG. He had a couple of good drives but was more or less shut down in the second half. Ponder actually had better stats. I would hardly say that either QB torched anyone.

Regardless, while I agree that RGIII is an effective passer, he has also been sacked 11 times, and I think the Vikings will be able to put a lot of pressure on him.

He is also a rookie who had his first taste of injury at the pro level - how he responds remains to be seen. Let's not give anyone the game ball quite yet.

I do think this will be a difficult game for the Vikes. But I also think that if they can control the ball on offense and keep the pressure on RGIII we stand a pretty good chance of winning this game. Pressure is truly the key to the game IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Lets wait until the latter part of the year before calling make or break games. We could win this game and lose most of the rest of our games or we could wlose this game & still win most of the rest of our games. In 2003 we were 6-0 only to win 3 games the rest of the season.

Divisional games against the Bears or GB will be more key, IMO.

I'm not ready to pat Spielman on the back just yet. Kalil was a no brainer, but he does get credit for Smith, Harvin, AD & Ponder were here before Spielman was GM.

His 2 biggest offseason acquisitions were Simpson & Carlson & after 5 games into the season, neither has contributed much & now Simpson has an injury.

Want to give someone a lot of credit, give it to Williams our DC for our defensive aggressiveness.
    Why are Simpson and Carlson his "2 biggest offseason acquisitions", or are you only talking about free agency? If only FA, then I can agree with that. Schwartz was also solid pickup, and was vying for a starting position before the hernia. He is back now providing depth, and that is something we can always use on OL.

I kills me though that there are STILL people trying to downplay the draft, especially Kalil. Sure, he was the obvious choice, but let's remember that we traded down and still got him, and that put us into position to trade back up into the first round to grab Smith. And our third pick was Robinson, who is now starting opposite Cook. And then there is Walsh, who has been a great acquisition. Even Ellison and Blanton have play well. I think the only draft picks not actively contributing are Wright and Childs, and Childs is out for the year.

Simpson played well against the Lions, didn't last week. Carlson has been a failure to date. But looking at the offseason overall, I think Spielman has earned his pat on the back. What else do you need to see for him to earn your approval?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking in Arkansas View Post
    Geez. You make it sound like we have no chance to win this game. Their WRs are far superior, their QB is unstoppable, and their secondary is too fast. I understand Washington has some talent. However, if we stick to what we have been doing we will be just fine. Run the ball, stop the run, and limit the big plays just like we have in our 4 wins and we will win.

This.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Lest it look like the Redskins are the next Superbowl winner... there is a bit more we should look at when it comes to this game.

1) The Redskins have struggled covering tight ends. They gave up 85 to Graham against NO. 64 to Gresham against the Bengals. Last week they gave up 123 yards on 13 passes to Gonzales. This plays into the strength of the Vikings' short game offense.

2) The Vikings defense is currently 6th against the run. Washington's Morris is running great for a rookie, especially one picked in the 6th round. Averaging right around 100 yards per game is awesome. BUt this will be the best running D he has faced so far, so let's see if the trend continues. If our DL can bottle up Morris and keep RGIII from scrambling, our secondary will be able to hang with their WRs.

3) The Skins are not the best coverage team, and have the tendency to give up big plays to keep drives alive. Harvin has a tendency to make big plays. I like where this is going.

4) Washington is 14 for 60 on third downs, which is the worst in the league. This is an offense that relies on the big play to move the ball, which makes it hard for them to sustain drives.

All in all this game is absolutely winnable for the Vikings. We should have a good game offensively if we stick to our game plan. Maintaining pressure on RGIII and putting our secondary in a position to succeed will make all the difference for all.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Lest it look like the Redskins are the next Superbowl winner... there is a bit more we should look at when it comes to this game.

1) The Redskins have struggled covering tight ends. They gave up 85 to Graham against NO. 64 to Gresham against the Bengals. Last week they gave up 123 yards on 13 passes to Gonzales. This plays into the strength of the Vikings' short game offense.

2) The Vikings defense is currently 6th against the run. Washington's Morris is running great for a rookie, especially one picked in the 6th round. Averaging right around 100 yards per game is awesome. BUt this will be the best running D he has faced so far, so let's see if the trend continues. If our DL can bottle up Morris and keep RGIII from scrambling, our secondary will be able to hang with their WRs.

3) The Skins are not the best coverage team, and have the tendency to give up big plays to keep drives alive. Harvin has a tendency to make big plays. I like where this is going.

4) Washington is 14 for 60 on third downs, which is the worst in the league. This is an offense that relies on the big play to move the ball, which makes it hard for them to sustain drives.

All in all this game is absolutely winnable for the Vikings. We should have a good game offensively if we stick to our game plan. Maintaining pressure on RGIII and putting our secondary in a position to succeed will make all the difference for all.
    The guy that started this thread is getting way ahead of himself. First off, how does anyone predict a 9-1 start for a team that was 3-13 last seaason and lost it's best player to a double ligament knee snap? This is no more than another game against a pretty even opponent on their turf. The Skins have lost EIGHT straight home games. The numbers say they are DUE. We are playing on outside on turf away which has historically been trouble for us.

We did catch a break with them losing two very good defenders in Caraker and Orakpro. This should be a very close game won by whomever plays a cleaner game, which we have been doing well.

Don't fool yourself, Frasier is going to stick with what has worked especially on the road. He's a very conservative guy and will stick with running, short passing game, solid defense not giving up the big play , and a good special teams to try and sneak out a win. You won't see them change their formula even against a team that they should throw the ball a lot on.

So get ready for two teams that will try to do almost exactly the same thing to each other and the one that does it more consistent will win.

This ain't no trap game.. It's a very close call either way.

Vikings 24 Skins 23

Kerrigan91 is offline Waterboy
    Hello Vikings fans, Redskins fan coming in peace. I think this is an intriguing "measuring stick" game for both sides. Every single game so far for the Redskins has been close, except maybe the Saints game but even then there was a hail mary with 1 second left. I doubt that changes this week so I'm expecting a nail biter.

First and foremost I hope its a clean game and no injuries on either side. Skins are banged up enough as it is, we don't need any more. Unfortunately another Vikings forum has been calling the Redskins dirty, and that they purposely blew out APs knee last year, and then in the same thread were hoping that they could concuss RGIII again. I'm guessing that is the forum for the less intelligent fans than this one, which is why I'm here in peace and not at that other joke.

For me, it all comes down to if our Defense looks like it did against ATL last week. It was the first time the coverage was at least average on the WRs, but Gonzalez burned us. The earlier games this year were all littered with big plays against our Corners and Safeties (I guess you can't have depth when you're playing 18mil shorter than everyone else).

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

I agree with your thoughts, except a few points in the 2 quoted above.

The one strength I do see is the Redskins rushing game. I know that many Vikings fans aren't worried about Morris, but neither were the other teams. Tampa Bay had the #1 Rush Defense in the league when we played them, but not after that game. The Zone scheme is the one area I think we can keep on track. If Kyle Shanahan can manage to keep his play calling consistent and not get too hokey with crazy plays I think the rushing game will work well.

Its no secret we're not doing well on 3rd down on either side of the ball. That stat is a bit misleading though on offense. Our drive conversion rate is at 68%, which is more more "middle-of-the-pack". Much of this is because we're moving towards a more explosive 1st and 2nd down scheme to try to not see 3rd down at all. Its not always working of course, but the redskins are still a top 10 offense in scoring (8th at 28 pts/game), despite that 3rd down statistic.

Anyways, again I hope its a good clean game and exciting to watch. It seems both these franchises may be getting out of their ruts and moving towards more success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast