Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game thoughts

CrazyAtMSU is offline Training Camp

Game thoughts

- Minnesota Vikings coaching staff gets an F for this game.

Defensively we played well on 1st and 2nd down. Come third down we fell apart, hutchinson looking like payton manning out there. My question to that is this: Since dropping all those guys back into coverage ISN'T working (ie: we gave up 3rd and 15+ 3 times i think, i could be wrong, but something like that, and they should have had another one that was dropped) maybe we should try sending the blitz once in a while come 3rd down. That way hutchinson, who isn't exactly a "veins-of-ice" dead eye passer, wouldn't have time to sit there and look downfield. I dont' make the calls but I saw our defensive secondary get beat all day long cuz hutchinson just sat back there and let it fly. GET IN HIS FACE!!! rattle the guy a little bit. Make HIM make the play.

Offensively we looked like we had never seen a blitz before. The offensive play calling in this game was absolutely sad. If they are sending multiple guys on the blitz that leaves our wide outs one-on-one, which shouldn't even be matchup. But also, there are plays to counter blitzes. I would love to know what percent of the plays they blitzed us in the second half. But where was the running game (I know we were down but when they are sending a blitz like that you have to keep them honest), where was the screen pass? There are plays that counter a blitz but the vikings coaching staff doesn't seem to have a clue what they are. (accept for that one screen that pep threw 40 yards across the field, which was the right idea. But it wasn't executed very well)

Daunte Culpepper played a damn good game in my opinion. The pick to Urlacher was a bad decision. They other 2 picks were a result of him running for his life. What little offense we did have in the second half was a direct result of pep making some damn good plays. He played well today despite his numbers.

I think the vikings coaching staff is ridiculously bad and something needs to change.

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

Game thoughts

While on one hand I agree that the D wasn't working on third down, they could not blitz and leave the Defensive Backs one on one because Shaw was getting burned all day as it was never mind if he was one on one with those guys, that is where the loss of Winfield really hurt.
    The offense did not do its job today, I know the Bears D is good but while Daunte was running for his life a lot of the day the line has to step it up and block someone! Daunte had no time to find the wideouts if they were getting open.
    Anyway, I personally just want to chalk it up as a bad day and say the Vikes will be back next Sunday. This was not a complete failure of the coaches just a problem with being off for one day

Sig courtesy of josdin00

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Game thoughts

Well the bears new our oline was banged up and we had guys on the practice squad starting so they blitzed the sh*t out of us. The play calling on screens never seemed to come at the right time. We did do some good thing but the oline really fell apart in the second half.

I'm not gonna trash the defensive players for this game, not one bit. Ted did not get enough blitzes to get to Hutch, especailly in the first half. When you have a offense that continues to turnover the ball time after time in good field position, how is your defense suposed to handle that? If i had to blame someone for this game i would put it on the shoulder of the Oline.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Game thoughts

if i had to blame this on one person or one aspect of the team it would have to be scott linehan. once again when we need a good game plan THE WHOLE GAME, i think he fell way short. passed way too many times on first down and not once was i surprised at the call. can i get a draw? something to slow down the blitz? QB draw? and when is the last time there was a bomb thrown? is doesnt have to be moss, campbell can get behind defenses and i am not impressed by the calls at all. the vikes are explosive on both sides of the ball when we score early and there is a big play, usually its to moss of course but there are plays designed to free up someone else isnt there? i didnt like linehan when he was at the raiders and i dont like him now and it appears that he wont make me eat my words either!!!! i am getting tired of seeing duante running all over the field and making plays or not instead of putting the kid in the right place at the right time so he wont have to do it all himself 99% of the time. there i said it, and i am sticking to it.

Game thoughts

I didnt know linehan was with the RAIDERS??? The reason for no bombs is no time to throw=sh*ty play from the oline, pepp did get a bomb off to Mrob but he even had to scramble to get that off.

Toss2Moss84 is offline Starter

Game thoughts

Sorry to say it but I think this game was the last straw for Tice. When your team can't beat the leagues bottom feeders then you need a change at the top. We never can get up for the bad teams ever since Tice has been head coach. We shoulda been able to blow out this Bears team today.

Game thoughts

I know alot of people say we should blow them out then we should blow them out but in reality this is the NFL and that sh*t dont happen. Divisional games are very hard fought, both teams knowing each other very well. It's not easy to blow teams out, let alone teams in your division.

I still like Tice but the wasted timouts are driving me INSANE!

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Game thoughts

"vikingstw" wrote:
    I didnt know linehan was with the RAIDERS??? The reason for no bombs is no time to throw=sh*ty play from the oline, pepp did get a bomb off to Mrob but he even had to scramble to get that off.
    linehan didnt last long at the raiders. and knowing that there is no time to throw the ball, how many series would it take you to call something to slow down the rush and take duante on a draw. another reverse. make them run from side to side and slow them down. anything but the basic pass plays on 1st down. and i have seen a play where duante rolls out TO THE RIGHT and launches a missle downfield. many different things surely could have been done.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Game thoughts

Well if you want my input Culpepper played a very bad game. He locked on his recievers right from the start so the Bears dee could just watch his eyes all day. Then he took way to long to make a play. The line can only give him 4 seconds not 6-8 like he was using.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Game thoughts

"Toss2Moss84" wrote:
    Sorry to say it but I think this game was the last straw for Tice. When your team can't beat the leagues bottom feeders then you need a change at the top. We never can get up for the bad teams ever since Tice has been head coach. We shoulda been able to blow out this Bears team today.
    Who would you replace him with? There aren't exactly a windfall of quality Head Coaches out there - or even hot Coordinators looking to step up.

If they do remove Tice (Which Red won't), at least we'll get new Coordinators. The only upside to that deal in my opinion.

Caine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast