Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Game Play has Darrell Bevell Written All Over It

Star Trib

My favorite quote from it...
    "Every play went through Coach Childress," said Bevell
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Game Play has Darrell Bevell Written All Over It

Bevell said his role won't change much because Childress had relinquished play-calling duty several years ago.

"I've called the plays since he's turned it over to me," Bevell said. "Obviously there have been suggestions and there's been, 'Call this.' But there's never been a time since he gave it to me where he took it back and started calling them."

Bevell said that both he and quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers have maintained good communication with quarterback Brett Favre.

"The freedom is kind of a delicate thing," Bevell said. "He has an enormous amount of freedom. Even under Coach Childress, there were things he's allowed to do. We listen to his suggestions. I think he's always felt he had a voice with me and with Coach Rogers. I can't speak to the rest."
    And this.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I love it! This is getting funny.

Where are all the guys that every week challenged those saying Chilly was calling some plays? Zeus? Marrdro?

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Well, in truth, when "EVERY play went through Childress" it means that he was actually calling all the plays because they couldn't happen unless he approved.

That yammering mouth behind the playcard obviously caused a lot of chaos, confusion and delay of game penalties.

Maybe that had something to do with all the muffed pass blocking.

Maybe now the team can start to play well.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Yeah where is Marrdro? I tried to straighten him out in the "triangle of authority" thread about play calling. LOL

WWBGD

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

I think he's over on the Timberwolves Forum diagramming basketball plays with six players on a team.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Darrell Bevell

We got rid of one bad coach or maybe that's a little unfair but has made a series of dumb decisions that ultimately led to his demise. I am not a believer of Leslie but I hope he proves me wrong.
    That being said I am not impressed at all with Darrell and his play calling. Also where are all the teams beating down his door for a head coaching position. The play calling has been ok but still is very unimaginative and lacks a rhythm. When a rhythm does get established it is put on the shelf for later, and usually later is too late. The bald eagle is no longer with us and now Bevell has no one to point the finger at. We will see how things change. But I suspect they will stay very much the same. We need a coach with killer instincts and one that's not afraid to go full throttle and take some risks.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1079877
    I think he's over on the Timberwolves Forum diagramming basketball plays with six players on a team.
    Yeah, for some reason everyone seems to forget to count the Goalie.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Let's wait & see how the new game plan/playbook work before dismissing Bevell as a bad OC.

If you read the article earlier in the week, it stated Favre & company ripped the playbook apart & left only those plays in it HE & the team could execute well, that should leave a couple of dozen plays.

That card that you see the HC holding will no longer be the gameplan plays, it will be what's left of the entire playbook. :side:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"Every play went through Coach Childress," said Bevell, who had several meetings with interim coach Leslie Frazier this week. "Everything was finalized through him, so this week it was a little bit different. I still kept Coach Frazier informed, told him what we're doing, how we felt like we should attack them. But it wasn't like, 'I don't like that, throw that out.'"
    "As long as it's sound and I can present it to Coach Frazier and he likes the logic behind it, I don't believe he's going to veto anything at this point."
    "I've called the plays since he's turned it over to me," Bevell said. "Obviously there have been suggestions and there's been, 'Call this.' But there's never been a time since he gave it to me where he took it back and started calling them."
    So..........Childress never "took back" the play calling duties formally, but clearly he spent a fair amount of time slapping vetos on the game plan and play calling. Not enough information in this article to declare WHO was really in charge of the plays OR the game plan.

I predict that it will look different on the field now.......but it won't be because Bevell is finally in charge.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast