Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Game date vs. Lions in ?

Twins have no lease on the stadium, the Vikings do.

Twins should play Monday night.

Or they should compensate the Vikings season ticket holders with free tickets to Sundays game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Although I'd like to see the game on MNF so I could actually watch it, I doubt the A's series will go to the 5th game. Cheers to the Twins!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Mon, Oct. 02, 2006

[size=13pt]Twins complicate Sunday's game[/size]

Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley said the team would announce today whether Sunday's home game against Detroit will be moved because of a potential scheduling conflict with the Twins.

With the Twins clinching home-field advantage in the American League divisional playoff series, they could be hosting Game 5 against Oakland that day, which likely will force the Vikings to move their game to Monday night or flip-flop home games with the Lions.

In that scenario, the Vikings would play Sunday at Detroit and Dec. 10 at the Metrodome.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

twiztedfait is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:
    Twins have no lease on the stadium, the Vikings do.

Twins should play Monday night.

Or they should compensate the Vikings season ticket holders with free tickets to Sundays game.

Playoffs of any nature are greater then a regular season game IMHO.
    Vikings should switch their schedule or move the game to detroit..

I just wish I could get a couple of strips to the twins games
    :'(

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Here's what is going to happen - take it to the bank.

* The Vikes-Lions game will be moved to Monday night, a decision which will likely be announced today (Monday - 10/2)
    - The Vikings, in a push to get a new stadium, will not want to appear to be the bad guy in a dispute with the 2006 feel-good story of the Twins and their amazing comeback.
    - The game will be carried by ESPN, but ONLY in the local markets of the Vikings and Lions.
    Everyone else will get the regular-scheduled game - Baltimore @ Denver.
    And that means everyone else.
    That most likely means the ND, SD, IA, WI, etc. Vikings fans are going to get screwed and see the Ravens/Broncos game.
    - The game will also be locally broadcasted in the MSP area, I'm guessing on Channel 5, but that's purely a guess.
    It might be on channel 29.
    Whoever showed the game in Week 1 against the Redskins will probably show this game, as well.

* If the Twins series does not go to five games, the Dome will sit dark and unused on Sunday.
    - They have to make a decision and stick with it.
    I am, quite frankly, surprised that the decision wasn't made last weekend.
    ESPN will have to scramble to have a crew ready to replace the FOX crew which was slated to be here this Sunday.
    - Once the decision is made, they cannot change it back to Sunday.
    ESPN needs as much time as possible to get cameras, personnel, etc. here to do the game next Monday.
    A week is barely enough time to do it.

* The Vikings will likely get some compensation from the Twins and MLB for agreeing to the switch, but the fan will get NOTHING.
    If you've already bought your tickets, the Vikings have your money, so they don't care.
    And they shouldn't, IMHO.
    I have a buddy flying in from St. Louis to go to this game on Sunday, and he's gonna be screwed here (STUPID TIGERS!!!), but what can I do?

You all can continue whining and moaning all you want.
    The fact of the matter is that this is what happens when you share a stadium.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Lando is offline Rookie

Who's Your Dome Daddy?
    John Holler
    VikingUpdate.com Oct 2, 2006

A decision on the dispostion of the Metrodome Sunday is expected later today. If Zygi Wilf wanted to, he could flex his muscle to say the Vikings should have a stake to their game at noon Sunday with the Lions. But don't expect it.

With all the bootleg T-shirts citing everything from “piranhas” to “smells” for the bandwagon-jumping Twins fans, while the rest of us slept, serious discussions concerning who has precedence to the Metrodome next Sunday remains a 13th-hour topic of debate.

A final call is likely due later today, but it begs the question, “Who’s your Daddy?” Prior to the Tigers' unprecedented weekend collapse to the Royals – who came into town with 100 losses and left with just as many – the lease question at the Metrodome was a moot point.

Now it may be something. Not because of the Vikings' rightful ownership to the Dome for Sunday’s scheduled game with the Lions, but because a lot of goodwill could be sacrificed to prove a point.

By virtue of the Twins winning the American League Central Division Sunday, a potential Game 5 matchup with Oakland looms on Sunday. Seeing as if you’re an A’s fan and have a problem with Games 1 and 2 of the ALDS starting at 10 a.m. local time, that’s tough. Major League Baseball wasn’t expecting two teams from New York and two teams from Southern California to make the playoffs in the same year. Oops. If the Yankees have a Game 5 with the Tigers, it is listed as “TBA” on the league’s website. Translation? Prime time.

That would mean, if the fly-over Twins and the “wrong side of the Bay Bridge” A’s should happen to have a Game 5 on the same day as affiliates in New York and Detroit, the afternoon schedule applies. The NFL has one late game on FOX – Terrell Owens’ return to Philly. Think that may draw some interest, especially in light of events where a publicist should have hired a publicist? Albert Haynesworth may be viewed as Gandhi after T.O. comes back the Land of Whine and Cheesesteaks. Smells like a noon start for a Twins-A’s Game 5 to the untrained nose – much less noses capable of smelling ratings points.

Turns out, that's the same time the Vikings and Lions are scheduled to play in the Metrodome Sunday. Vikings officials have been in discussions with officials from the Twins, MLB, NFL and the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission for the last couple of weeks. Much in the same way BCS officials sweat out a potential worst-case scenario, it has already been discussed what would happen in the event of a baseball-football stadium conflict. A plan is in place. The question now should be which should take precedence?

The irony of the question is really quite sad. In the Vikings, you have a team that has accepted every bad revenue turn as a Metrodome tenant – from letting Mike Lynn pimp team revenue to giving the Twins a taste of their concession money. When Major League Baseball was willing to opt for the euthanasia of two franchises, the Twins willingly shaved their own paw to insert the hypodermic. Only then did the baseball purists in Minnesota profess their love. For all his bluster, Red McCombs sold the Vikings before moving them to a stadium closer to a basketball team that calls itself the Lakers. Zygi Wilf bought the team and has kept quiet while a stadium for his self-annihilating baseball counterparts was approved.

It shouldn’t be lost that Wilf spearheaded a movement to get the 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis. When was the last time Minnesota voted for a Republican presidential candidate? And they got it. Kudos, sir. Job well done. Perhaps not fully appreciated, but well done.

It is perhaps that same cordiality that will most likely see the Vikings and Lions play next Monday. Behind the doors of power, the Wilfs have done their best to be a good tenant – both to the Metrodome and to the State of Minnesota. The Vikings franchise is currently the trailer trash of the NFL when it comes to revenue streams, but Zygi has played by the “Minnesota Nice” rules. Don’t rock the boat.

The Twins had a trump card when they had a lease with the Metrodome, but that original agreement was allowed to lapse in 2004. If the Vikings wanted to be salty about it, they could. If they wanted to be hard core, the strict legal interpretation of the leases is that the Vikings would step aside in the event of a World Series conflict. This isn’t the World Series. But, expect to see the Vikings step aside if needed.

As it stands now, there are three options – two of which are virtually moot. The first is for the NFL to mandate the Vikings and Lions switch home games. Even though Detroit is 0-4, such a move would mean that four of their last five games and five of their last seven would be on the road. Big problem in Motown over that. The second is to have the Lions come to town on Saturday and, if a Game 4 requires a Game 5, wait until the result to determine whether to play game as scheduled at noon local time Sunday or not. That, too, likely won’t sit well with the Lions brass. Third is to play the game on Monday – the only scenario that makes sense, even though it likely means that only Minnesota and Michigan sees the game.

If the Vikings want to push the issue, they could likely use legalese to prove a point. But, there is nothing to gain and a lot to lose if the team makes a claim to what might rightfully be theirs. Expect to see Zygi say “Go Twins” and let the schedule be changed. He’s built up a lot of goodwill in the chambers of power in this state. No sense letting all that get shot down when baseball fever has returned. The Twins and the Gophers have their new stadiums on the horizon. The Vikings don’t. Being “Minnesota Nice” would serve them well right now.

Lando is offline Rookie

I'm in a bind on this one .. I live about a 24 hour drive from the game (Alberta, Canada).
    I need the decision made ASAP so I can make travel arrangements accordingly (and/or liquidate my tickets as required).
    I hope the game is moved to Monday night (and broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket or StreamTVnow).
    If the game is moved to Monday, why wouldn't the Vikings provide a refund on tickets (especially considering travel arrangements for people coming to the game)?!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The Vikings do retan the right to decide, as they are the lease holders, but the Vikings game should, and will , be moved to monday night.
    The same thing happened back when Game 7 of the 1987 WS interfered with a Vikings game.

wikipedia wrote:
    There have been a few occasions when two Monday night games were played simultaneously. In 1987, a scheduling conflict arose when Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins went to Game 7 of the World Series (which also aired on ABC), making the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome unavailable for the Minnesota Vikings' scheduled game that Sunday. The Vikings game was subsequently moved to Monday night, and ABC aired it in a split telecast with the regularly-scheduled MNF game. A similar scenario unfolded in 1997, when the Florida Marlins went to Game 7 of the World Series and the Miami Dolphins' Sunday game at Pro Player Stadium was shifted to Monday night. In 2005, the New Orleans Saints played the New York Giants in a rescheduled game due to Hurricane Katrina; the Saints-Giants game began at 7:30 p.m. before being switched over to ABC's corporate sister network ESPN at 9 p.m. for the regularly scheduled matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins (the Saints-Giants game was seen in its entirety in New York, Louisiana and other hurricane-affected areas on ABC, with the regularly-scheduled MNF game shown on ESPN until the end of the first game).
    Zeus was exactly right in that the Vikes don't want to look like the bad guy while they are pushing for a stadium themselves.
    I am not sure what the split telecast would look like.
    They might decide to air one on ABC and one on ESPN.
    I will be at the game, but I like to DVR them so I can rewatch them when I get home.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Lando" wrote:
    I'm in a bind on this one .. I live about a 24 hour drive from the game (Alberta, Canada).
    I need the decision made ASAP so I can make travel arrangements accordingly (and/or liquidate my tickets as required).
    I hope the game is moved to Monday night (and broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket or StreamTVnow).
    If the game is moved to Monday, why wouldn't the Vikings provide a refund on tickets (especially considering travel arrangements for people coming to the game)?!
    It won't be broadcast on NFL Sunday Ticket.
    In the last two years, two games in Florida were moved because of pending hurricanes and neither was shown on DirectTV.

And the Vikings won't provide refunds.
    You bought a ticket to the Lions-Vikings game.
    NOT the Lions-Vikings game on Sunday, October 8th.
    I'm in the same situation, as noted above in my post.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Lando" wrote:
    Because on the bottom of each ticket it states Game time subject to change and on the backl (under No refunds or exchanges it states The DATE and TIME of the game is subject to change by the NFL in accordance with its scheduling policies or as a result of other actions or events beyond the NFL's control.
    No refund will be provided if ticket holder cannot attend.

Honestly, I don't blame the NFL for not refunding tickets.
    It would be a huge financial loss is they had to issue refunds even for just one game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast