Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    cousins was 1-1 in 2012 and threw more ints than tds...reguardless of who we draft or what vet we sign ...they will have to be coached up...alot of question marks on both sides....
    now with mallet playing for belicheck i say positive ...hopefully he has learned how to prepare study film and practice like a pro ....
    we need to surround our qb with a solid o line our o line is over rated ...give him weapons...and need to have a defence that does rank last in pionts give up and second to last in yards giving up ...it would be nice to get a vet qb..we can focous on the draft get a qb in the 3 rd or 4th round

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    No top three picks for guys who could be come free agents soon enough.

Giving up high picks on unknown quantities is not a good way to build a team.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

I'd argue that a third round draft pick is as much of an unknown quantity as Mallet.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Yeah... think you mean Mallet. I'd trade for Mallot in a heartbeat before Cousins.

Cousins is not that great of a QB. He had 8 TDs, 10 INTs and a 56% completion... that doesn't scream starter to me.

Mallet doesn't have any starts to judge his play, but I have much more faith in someone that has been Brady's understudy for the past three years. He's also looked great in preseason.
    If I recall correctly you and I were two of the only people on here that wanted Mallet in the draft. I'd certainly take him over Ponder. Can't be much worse.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

If we're looking for a long-term answer, there is no known quantity for QB options. They have either limited NFL game experience or none. I look it as getting a young talented QB who has learned the ropes of being a pro, albeit with a different team. I see your point on the impending free agency, but with AP's age I don't think they should be thinking exclusively long-term. Let's take Mallett as an example. He's got every bit of talent that you could ask for. Yes, we'd have to re-sign him after one year. If he does well, it will cost us, and I'm okay with that scenario because we'd have our QB with lots of years left. Drafting a QB, whether high or low, carries its own risks, the main one being the window of time that it takes to decide if he's the guy.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    If we're looking for a long-term answer, there is no known quantity for QB options. They have either limited NFL game experience or none. I look it as getting a young talented QB who has learned the ropes of being a pro, albeit with a different team. I see your point on the impending free agency, but with AP's age I don't think they should be thinking exclusively long-term. Let's take Mallett as an example. He's got every bit of talent that you could ask for. Yes, we'd have to re-sign him after one year. If he does well, it will cost us, and I'm okay with that scenario because we'd have our QB with lots of years left. Drafting a QB, whether high or low, carries its own risks, the main one being the window of time that it takes to decide if he's the guy.
    Mallett has almost no in-game NFL experience. Why would he be more ready than other clip-holders in the NFL? I am not against picking up a guy like Mallett, but using high draft picks to get him is not a good way to build the team.

The Vikings needed a seasoned veteran at quarterback if they wanted to challenge for anything but a bunch of booby prizes in the playoffs. They picked up Cassel, who is not great, and started Ponder, who makes Cassel look better than he is because Ponder is so bad.

Mallett is not a Drew Brees or Alex Smith quick fix. He is a project and an unknown quantity. Could Mallett be good, certainly, but the risks are as high as drafting a rookie in the third round with the same pick.

P.S. Mallett was drafted with the Vikings' pick obtained by New England in the Moss deal. If this GM had done his job right, Mallett could have been here already.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Mallett, why ? He's a back up. Vikings have had plenty of those. Just say no to Malett.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    The unknown is always intriguing, but that is all he is. He could be great or he could be just another bum like 90% of the QB's in the league. How much are you willing to risk that he beats those odds.

If he is any good at all, then NE will have the highest value on him due to their familiarity and training in their system. He either comes expensively or NE doesn't think much of him. Both situations are far from ideal for MN.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The unknown is always intriguing, but that is all he is. He could be great or he could be just another bum like 90% of the QB's in the league. How much are you willing to risk that he beats those odds.

If he is any good at all, then NE will have the highest value on him due to their familiarity and training in their system. He either comes expensively or NE doesn't think much of him. Both situations are far from ideal for MN.
    A legit starting QB is worth a 2nd round pick, which is still expensive, but leaves our 1st round pick available for a stud...or multiple studs if we trade down a few spots. At this point, and using the Vikings schematic here http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4023885/Lineup-MIN.png our OL and weapons would make a Alex Smith type QB look Bradyesque. We just need to FIND that competent QB if we don't get one of the top trio.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    If I recall correctly you and I were two of the only people on here that wanted Mallet in the draft. I'd certainly take him over Ponder. Can't be much worse.
    I was also a Mallett fan. I wanted him badly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast