Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Future At Risk: Bernard Berrian

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Time To Bury Berrian?[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

http://vikesgeek.blogspot.com/2009/1...y-berrian.html
    Marrdro's comment follows:
    This is the article that is ref'd in the first article.
    More disconcerting than Berrian's numbers, however, has been his poor execution on the field. Whether due to lack of preparation or some other malady, it is clear that Berrian is not playing with the same degree of commitment as are others on the team. And when, for the twentieth or so time this season, Berrian gave up on a deep route, despite single-man coverage, or turned in when he should have turned out, one has to wonder whether it is not time to replace Berrian with any other breathing receiver on the team and to make certain that, in two-receiver sets, Harvin and Rice, rather than Berrian and Rice, are the duo on the field.
    But, if injuries are the culprit, given that Berrian has been plagued by the same injury his entire career--one of Chicago's primary considerations in allowing their only tested receiver to walk in 2008--it might be time for Minnesota to begin considering their future at wide receiver.
    In 2007, Bernard Berrian caught 71 passes for 951 and five touchdowns for the Chicago Bears.
    In 2008, Berrian was a respectable 48 receptions for 974 yards and seven touchdowns for the Vikes
    It was a well written article about some obvious things we know but just didn't piece together in our minds as eloquently.

Does he have a future here?
    He hasn't been healthy, but that shouldn't be an excuse as much as a reason to get rid of him.
    Why he's not flourishing is definately a head scratcher.
    Been trying to watch him real close the last two games, but alas, I tend to focus on the line play and then he is out of the picture.

Replays don't really enlighten with respect to the idea (accusation) that his routes are sloppy.

Lets hope he gets his head on straight, whatever the reason.

:
    First, thanks for the reads Marrdro.

I really don't know what is wrong with Berrian this year.
    He seems to have the dropsies bad.
    I know he seemed a little frustrated at the beginning of the season as Favre did seem a little off with Berrian.
    But let's be real.
    He didn't have a lot of time to prepare with Sid or Percy either.
    I think a lot of it has to do with Berrian's routes.
    What else could it be?
    Favre has been pretty spot on for the most part with every single receiver.
    Other than the 1st couple of game he has been spot on with Berrian too.
    Time to start wondering about the guy.
    If you can't be happy on a team that's 8-1 and clicking on all cylanders that what happened behind the scenes?
    Good stuff my friend.
    I wonder if it is the routes (how well he runs them) or if he really doesn't understand any other route in the tree other than "Go Deep".
    Lets not forget, he is now running shorter routes that he did last year.
    At first, thats what I attributed to his drop in yards per catch.
    He had something like 20+ I think.

Another thing that makes me doubt that his routes are bad is that he gets thrown to at about the same rate as El Syd.
    Maybe he just doesn't adjust to the shorter throws as well.
    Again, a head scratcher.

On a side note, I suspect he is happy.
    Hard for the sports hacks to find something to hack on this year so someone like BB who is having a hard season, will draw thier attention and thus the spin.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Time To Bury Berrian?[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

More disconcerting than Berrian's numbers, however, has been his poor execution on the field. Whether due to lack of preparation or some other malady, it is clear that Berrian is not playing with the same degree of commitment as are others on the team. And when, for the twentieth or so time this season, Berrian gave up on a deep route, despite single-man coverage, or turned in when he should have turned out, one has to wonder whether it is not time to replace Berrian with any other breathing receiver on the team and to make certain that, in two-receiver sets, Harvin and Rice, rather than Berrian and Rice, are the duo on the field.
    But, if injuries are the culprit, given that Berrian has been plagued by the same injury his entire career--one of Chicago's primary considerations in allowing their only tested receiver to walk in 2008--it might be time for Minnesota to begin considering their future at wide receiver.
    In 2007, Bernard Berrian caught 71 passes for 951 and five touchdowns for the Chicago Bears.
    In 2008, Berrian was a respectable 48 receptions for 974 yards and seven touchdowns for the Vikes
    It was a well written article about some obvious things we know but just didn't piece together in our minds as eloquently.

He hasn't been healthy, but that shouldn't be an excuse as much as a reason to get rid of him.
    Been trying to watch him real close the last two games, but alas, I tend to focus on the line play and then he is out of the picture.

Replays don't really enlighten with respect to the idea (accusation) that his routes are sloppy.

:

I know he seemed a little frustrated at the beginning of the season as Favre did seem a little off with Berrian.
    But let's be real.
    What else could it be?
    If you can't be happy on a team that's 8-1 and clicking on all cylanders that what happened behind the scenes?
    Good stuff My Farvish Friend.
    I wonder if it is the routes (how well he runs them) or if he really doesn't understand any other route in the tree other than "Go Deep".

Another thing that makes me doubt that his routes are bad is that he gets thrown to at about the same rate as El Syd.
    Again, a head scratcher.

Hard for the sports hacks to find something to hack on this year so someone like BB who is having a hard season, will draw thier attention and thus the spin.
    A guy that has a hard time staying healthy probably isn't happy with himself.
    He has missed A LOT of practice reps with that bad hammy.

Health is his issue.
    Mental is second.

Route running and consistency are part of those two points.

No matter how you put it, he has been disappointing to himself and us (the fan) with his production this season.
    Our QB keeps throwing to him to try and help him produce, he needs to start producing!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

BB has been hampered by injuries since training camp and preseason, where he didn't get much chance to get on the same page as Favre.

Going by the logic presented here, Vikes should have dumped Syd after last years dip in productivity.
    Syd dressed for 13 games but only had 15 receptions.
    Now he's a stud.
    Last year BB looked really good because he was fully healthy.
    Hamstrings are nagging and unless the Vikes sit him, I imagine it won't get to 100%.

So his full productivity will be down, but still probably better than the other options.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Is the hamstring issue the underlying issue with all this?
    With going deep then there's not so much pressure or sudden movement as you'd get with planting the leg to make cuts, hooks etc
    If that's at the back of his mind then that will translate to poorer performance on the field and getting some balls dropped can get to be a habit - ala TWilliamson.

I can't remember what he did at Chicago but was he noted there for anything other than deep routes, if that is the case then it maybe now we have Harvin, Rice and even Shiancoe taking the short stuff it highlights BB as a one trick pony.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=54212.msg1017861#msg1017861 date=1258465266]

:

But let's be real.
    What else could it be?
    Good stuff My Farvish Friend.

Again, a head scratcher.

A guy that has a hard time staying healthy probably isn't happy with himself.
    He has missed A LOT of practice reps with that bad hammy.

Health is his issue.
    Mental is second.

Route running and consistency are part of those two points.

No matter how you put it, he has been disappointing to himself and us (the fan) with his production this season.
    Our QB keeps throwing to him to try and help him produce, he needs to start producing!
    [/quote]
    Agree with the health but still am a bit hesitant to say he is unhappy (mentally not sound).

I think Gagarr is on to something in his post with one small bit to consider.
    He was productive last year and was dinged as well.

Again, I think it has more to do with the routes he is being asked to run.
    Maybe he isn't happy going over the middle with alot of traffic around him even though some stuff I've looked at today, says that he would/should be good at it.

POSITIVES: Explosive wide out with sound natural skills. Quick releasing off the line, uses effective hand technique to get off jams and runs excellent routes, getting separation from defenders. Outstanding field awareness and always finds the open spot in the seam. Adjusts and tracks the errant throw, goes up in a crowd to make the difficult reception and plucks the pass from the air. Elusive and slippery running after the reception, wiggles through the tight spots and picks up a lot of yardage. Uses these same skills returning punts or kicks.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/32897.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

BB has 30rec so far this year, last year he had 48 the whole season.
    He's on track for 53 this season.
    The difference is he's not getting a shot at or catching the long stuff.
    But I imagine the D is rolling the safety his way given last year's 20yd avg, which leaves Sid 1-1 with a CB, because the other safety is in the box or looking after Shank.

Syd is turning into a deep threat which might give the safety pause as to who to cover.
    Good for the Vikes, to have a run threat, TE threat, and 2 deep WR threats.
    What is a safety gonna do?
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Way too early to panic. He's adjusting to a new QB and a change in role in the offense. Rice has become the deep threat. He's on pace to have more catches than last year and as many TD's as any season in his career other than last year.

The good news, if he does fall off is that his guaranteed money has already been given to him and accounted for against the cap. Shouldn't be a huge penalty if he ends up getting cut or traded after the season.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/16487196.html

"gagarr" wrote:
    BB has 30rec so far this year, last year he had 48 the whole season.
    He's on track for 53 this season.
    The difference is he's not getting a shot at or catching the long stuff.
    But I imagine the D is rolling the safety his way given last year's 20yd avg, which leaves Sid 1-1 with a CB, because the other safety is in the box or looking after Shank.

Syd is turning into a deep threat which might give the safety pause as to who to cover.
    Good for the Vikes, to have a run threat, TE threat, and 2 deep WR threats.
    What is a safety gonna do?
    Another good one Gagarr......
    Didn't even look to see what his numbers were last year at this time compared to this year at this time.

Thinking of something that I didn't think of gets you an automatic bump on the ole spreadsheet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12