umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

The future of Matt Birk & the Vikings

It's interesting how everyone is discussing Culpepper's injury but have not yet pondered the future of Matt Birk..

I'm not so sure Birk will be back next year. He had a nice run....kinda like Jeff Christy, but his body is not keeping up with his mind. Part of me still think Birk knew all along he would not play this year. Players on IR still get paid and they cannot be cut due to injury until they are cleared to play. The Vikings will probably ask him to take a pay cut - especially with the emergence of Fowler (provided he plays like he did against Detroit the rest of the way). Two torn hip labrums are very serious for a man his size and the injury has a high probability of reaccurace. Don't get me wrong, Birk is a smart guy, but his body has passed its prime.

The Jets are in a similar predicament with Chad Pennington. Its hard for teams to lock up so much money in players that cannot play or are likely to be reinjured.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The future of Matt Birk & the Vikings

"umaguma1979" wrote:
    It's interesting how everyone is discussing Culpepper's injury but have not yet pondered the future of Matt Birk..

I'm not so sure Birk will be back next year. He had a nice run....kinda like Jeff Christy, but his body is not keeping up with his mind. Part of me still think Birk knew all along he would not play this year. Players on IR still get paid and they cannot be cut due to injury until they are cleared to play. The Vikings will probably ask him to take a pay cut - especially with the emergence of Fowler (provided he plays like he did against Detroit the rest of the way). Two torn hip labrums are very serious for a man his size and the injury has a high probability of reaccurace. Don't get me wrong, Birk is a smart guy, but his body has passed its prime.

The Jets are in a similar predicament with Chad Pennington. Its hard for teams to lock up so much money in players that cannot play or are likely to be reinjured.
    Isn't he only 28 or 29?

Look at Kevin Mawae, he's still playing at 36, although he did get hurt this season.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Mawae has been beat up over the years.....but.... The factor is the nature of Birk's injury and the likely of reaccurance.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I'm not a doctor and I don't know that you are so I don't know how much of a reaccurance chance there is if any I do think we should see how he can do first before we talk of him not being the same.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i really hope birk can come back and be a force for us on the offensive line again next season. he's a leader and when he's healthy is one of the better centers out there. i'm not ready to pull the plug on Birk he still has plenty of good football left in him.

Thanks Josdin

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    i really hope birk can come back and be a force for us on the offensive line again next season. he's a leader and when he's healthy is one of the better centers out there. i'm not ready to pull the plug on Birk he still has plenty of good football left in him.
    I'm with you on that one, alot of Olineman play into there 30's, hoping he at least has 3 or 4 years left in him, but hey maybe his injury's are career threatning.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

I am not a "labrum" doctor either. I have read NOTHING on the websites of Birks injury being career threatening. You would think, perhaps in the off 5 min. of the TO thing, one of them would have noticed if it was.

I think he will be back and healthy. Paranoia is kinda fun, and imagining horrible things has no end, but, I just don't see this. Time will tell and Tice already has people on the depth chart. And if Barta and the boys see that this could be a problem they will bring more in.

Course as long as some are throwing in the towel on just about everyone, just as well include Birk too.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i hope he makes it back ok. birk is still young for an olineman. and he didnt become a starter until like 2000 right?(someone know the exact year?)