Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Full time refs please

"Freya" wrote:
    I didn't think there was enough evidence to support the call that Chester lost the ball before he was down in the first place.
    There didn't need to be enough evidence to support the call.
    The ref needs to see indisputable evidence to overturn the call.
    I couldn't see indisputable evidence for either side, so the call on the field would have stood regardless of which way the ref called it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    I didn't think there was enough evidence to support the call that Chester lost the ball before he was down in the first place.
    There didn't need to be enough evidence to support the call.
    The ref needs to see indisputable evidence to overturn the call.
    I couldn't see indisputable evidence for either side, so the call on the field would have stood regardless of which way the ref called it.
    Yes. I see what you are saying. My point was that it wasn't a legitimate call in the first place. My other question to the refs would be..........what did you need to see to overturn that call? I think the replay should show indisputable evidence to support the call either way. Unless they had a completely different view than we had for replays there was no need to see the replay past Chester's knee going down or the ball crossing the plane. Period.

It is, what it is. Water under the bridge now anyway.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I hear ya Freya.
    I haven't seen the replays shown on TV yet, I only saw the ones that they had in the dome on the screen.
    I actually don't know if the ones the refs see are different from the network replays or not.
    Does anyone else know off hand?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I hear ya Freya.
    I haven't seen the replays shown on TV yet, I only saw the ones that they had in the dome on the screen.
    I actually don't know if the ones the refs see are different from the network replays or not.
    The replays shown to the officials are provided by the TV network broadcasting the game (FOX in yesterday's case).
    Inside the Dome, the Vikings have OTHER cameras of their own which they use to show replays on the big screens - these are totally separated from the cameras which FOX uses.

So - if the fans see a replay which shows one result, you cannot say that the official will see the same replay, since different cameras are in use.

Where this really hurts is in a game like yesterday, involving 2nd and 3rd-tier teams, where FOX sends fewer cameras than to a game like Chicago-NE.
    From what I understand, FOX did NOT have as many cameras for this game (in relation to the Chester "fumble", FOX did not have a home-side goal-line camera in use).
    So the Vikings were screwed (or not screwed, I'm not sure about it) by FOX - NOT by the referees.

So - who all of you should be whining about is FOX and the NFL, NOT the refs.
    FOX and the NFL negotiated a contract where the network is not required to bring the same amount of cameras to EVERY game, even though they are the source of truth for instant replay reviews.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I hear ya Freya.
    The replays shown to the officials are provided by the TV network broadcasting the game (FOX in yesterday's case).
    Inside the Dome, the Vikings have OTHER cameras of their own which they use to show replays on the big screens - these are totally separated from the cameras which FOX uses.

So - if the fans see a replay which shows one result, you cannot say that the official will see the same replay, since different cameras are in use.

Where this really hurts is in a game like yesterday, involving 2nd and 3rd-tier teams, where FOX sends fewer cameras than to a game like Chicago-NE.
    From what I understand, FOX did NOT have as many cameras for this game (in relation to the Chester "fumble", FOX did not have a home-side goal-line camera in use).
    So the Vikings were screwed (or not screwed, I'm not sure about it) by FOX - NOT by the referees.

So - who all of you should be whining about is FOX and the NFL, NOT the refs.
    FOX and the NFL negotiated a contract where the network is not required to bring the same amount of cameras to EVERY game, even though they are the source of truth for instant replay reviews.

=Z=
    ...and your genius shows through yet again.
    That is surprising to me, I would think there would be a league minimum # of cameras used for officiating.
    Some sort of standard.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    That is surprising to me, I would think there would be a league minimum # of cameras used for officiating.
    Some sort of standard.
    There probably is a minimum - and that appears not to be enough, since they didn't have the shot which was needed yesterday.

The emphasis - if they're going to use the network feed - should be on having enough cameras to cover all the possible replay angles (within reason) NOT on making the best show for the folks at home.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I cast my vote for full time refs.
    In every game there will be some questionable calls.
    The ones that get me are the bad calls that change the outcome of the game.
    I also agree that there should be a set # of mandatory cams on the goal lines as those calls are often the most critical.
    I also don't understand if the stadium has cams why those can't be hooked into the booth for the refs as well.

WWBGD

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    Some sort of standard.
    [size=6pt]Proud carrier of AW's jock.[/size]
    There probably is a minimum - and that appears not to be enough, since they didn't have the shot which was needed yesterday.

The emphasis - if they're going to use the network feed - should be on having enough cameras to cover all the possible replay angles (within reason) NOT on making the best show for the folks at home.

=Z=
    None of this matters if they still can't make the right call after reviewing the tape.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    For my two pennyworth from where I was sitting Taylor had his knee down before the ball was popped - some people by also felt that he'd broken the plane as well though I'm not so sure on that.
    The facemask/helmet non-call was ridiculous, I sometimes wonder what the refs look at on the replay screen.. re-runs of Sponge Bob no doubt.
    Anyone have a better view on the last Cardinals TD as I didn't think the receiver was over the line but it was at the opposite end of the field to me.
    OTHER than that...did you enjoy the game, Anglo?
    Any tailgate pics?
    yep enjoyed the game,as ever - have now got a sore throat and little voice today due to much shouting at the game ... which pleases my wife no end
    ;D
    I did take a couple of pics on the Plaza pre-game but the other 150+ pics i took during the game. Will have to wait til I get home and get them on the PC to see how they have come out but they look promising
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    For my two pennyworth from where I was sitting Taylor had his knee down before the ball was popped - some people by also felt that he'd broken the plane as well though I'm not so sure on that.
    The facemask/helmet non-call was ridiculous, I sometimes wonder what the refs look at on the replay screen.. re-runs of Sponge Bob no doubt.
    Anyone have a better view on the last Cardinals TD as I didn't think the receiver was over the line but it was at the opposite end of the field to me.
    OTHER than that...did you enjoy the game, Anglo?
    Any tailgate pics?
    yep enjoyed the game,as ever - have now got a sore throat and little voice today due to much shouting at the game ... which pleases my wife no end
    ;D
    I did take a couple of pics on the Plaza pre-game but the other 150+ pics i took during the game. Will have to wait til I get home and get them on the PC to see how they have come out but they look promising
    No PP.O tailgate?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12