Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I feel your pain tark, but there are a WHOLE LOT of woulda shoulda couldas with the Vikings and Super Bowls. If you've been around that long, you have been through a lot of them.
    Yes I have, but that team was the closest IMO to winning it all they had everything but a running back. The Washington Super bowl was ours if the scab team had won one game!!! One stupid game!!! We would have had home field advantage against the Redskins and I think we were faster on turf than they were. We would have beaten them by two touchdowns if we played in the dome!!! Damn those scab teams and the franchise for not putting a good one together!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Drafting Alexander over Sapp was about as bad as it gets. I will never forgive Green for that one.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    How about drafting Darren Nelson over Marcus Allen?

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Worst draft choices IMO was the choice to not draft at all...

1...... NO CHOICE, traded to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

2...... NO CHOICE, traded to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

1...... NO CHOICE, traded to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

2...... NO CHOICE, traded to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

1...... NO CHOICE, to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

2...... NO CHOICE, to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.

3...... NO CHOICE, to Dallas in Herschel Walker trade.
    Pretty strong Singer.......

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    How about drafting Darren Nelson over Marcus Allen?
    Honestly, I will never forget that day..... HAS GOT TO BE A TOP 5 fuck up. The reasoning for not making the Marcus Allen pick was insane. Not buying the would have, could have, should have on this one... purely a complete mistake and an awful decision, some of the others, you might be able to argue, not this one. Not then, not now.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Guilty
    Well Mike Williams was decent two years ago and at least he's still in the league. Neither side was right, but Mike Williams would've been a "less wrong" pick.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Well Mike Williams was decent two years ago and at least he's still in the league. Neither side was right, but Mike Williams would've been a "less wrong" pick.
    He had 751 yards & 2 TD's 2 years ago, 4 years after he was cut by the team that drafted him.

In Detroit, Oakland & Tennessee he was a huge bust.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I remember reading about the Walker trade in the Trib at Hemsings Deli in St. Cloud. I told my brother this is the worst trade in the history of the NFL. I said, "No way does Dallas not take the picks instead of the players, and the players won't want to come back here after being traded." I said the Mike Lynn just gave the hated Dallas Cowboys the keys to a future Superbowl (I did not know at the time that he gave them a dynasty).

Underwood wasn't even on my draft board (my board isn't very deep). I did not know much about him other than that he was a weight room reach.

When Alexander was drafted, some of us old timers were on the Vikings area on pre-web GEnie network (on a new 14,400 baud modem!). I was excited when Sapp dropped to us, and I was sure he would be picked up. When the pick was announced as Alexander, I was livid. I could not believe it!

I had Williamson as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and I did not know he had a big hands issue. I did not like his route running. I had Mark Clayton rated higher. I also rated Clayton just over Roddy White too, but I wanted the Vikings to pick up a defensive player with the 7th pick, and I did not have any receivers after Braylon Edwards rated so high. Linebackers Ware, Merriman, and Johnson were still on the board. Antrel Rolle and Carlos Rogers were also on the board at cornerback. Those were five defensive players the Vikings could have drafted, and any of them would have been fine with me.

When the Vikings picked Williamson, I thought how much of a waste the pick was. Even if Williamson had been good, I thought any of those five defenders would make much more of an impact on the team. If the Vikings needed to choose a wide receiver, I had hoped it would be Clayton or White with their second pick in the first round or maybe picking up someone who fell down the them in the second round. Matt Jones was not rated as high as he went because he was being drafted out of position. I had Reggie Brown as a second rounder who might make it to them (he didn't). Williamson may have been there too.

When the second pick did come, I wanted the Vikings to pick up either DE Marcus Spears or QB Aaron Rodgers. Spears had slipped a few places on my board, but Rodgers had slipped from a potential top twelve player on my board. I thought Rodgers could go as high as number 4 to the Bears and would not make it past the Raiders number 23 pick or the Redskins 25 pick to the second round. The Vikings chose Erasmus James with the 18th pick. James had injury problems in college, and he had dropped, so it was not a poor pick if taken alone, but considering the board at the time, it was not a great pick. I was not happy at all that the Vikings passed up the five defenders early and then Rodgers later.

Of course, Vikings fans laughed at me for a few years as Rodgers was on the bench, but they are not laughing now. All of the five defenders had at least one Pro-Bowl season. Roddy White has proven to be better than Clayton but much better that draft bust Williamson. Marcus Spears was not a game changer like I though he could be.
    Last edited by Minniman; 04-22-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123