Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: FSN, Vikings strike cable deal

This is great. Its about time we have something like this to gather information. I'm sure us local people will miss out on some of the game coverage with the new NFL deal. This will make up a lot of that.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

pretty cool ^_^

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

FSN is the most watched station in my house, now that i got my kids addicted to minnesota sports teams. This makes me really happy.

Just a quick question,

Is there anyone else that has DirecTV and is thinking of getting their Sports Pack?

If so, are you gauranteed to get the games showing in the separate FSN regions? I guess my fear is that though FSN North is showing the Vikes game it will be blacked out if there is a Saints game (because I am in the Saints natural broadcasting area) being broadcast on Fox at the same time. Does that make sense?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask. It'd be much easier to pay $12 a month for six months rather than the $250+ for Sunday Ticket (especially considering I only care about the Viking games).

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Awesome !!!!!!

Even though I live in L.A., I have FSN North on my satelite system !!!!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    Just a quick question,

Is there anyone else that has DirecTV and is thinking of getting their Sports Pack?

If so, are you gauranteed to get the games showing in the separate FSN regions? I guess my fear is that though FSN North is showing the Vikes game it will be blacked out if there is a Saints game (because I am in the Saints natural broadcasting area) being broadcast on Fox at the same time. Does that make sense?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask. It'd be much easier to pay $12 a month for six months rather than the $250+ for Sunday Ticket (especially considering I only care about the Viking games).

-DD
    FSN North isn't showing the Vikings games - where did you get that from? The network which shows the Vikings each weekend is determined by when and who they play.

Here's this year's rundown:

9/11 - Monday night - @Washington - ESPN MNF
    9/17 - Sunday afternoon - Carolina - FOX
    9/24 - Sunday afternoon - Chicago - FOX
    10/1 - Sunday afternoon - @Buffalo - FOX
    10/8 - Sunday afternoon - Detroit - FOX
    10/15 - BYE
    10/22 - Sunday late afternoon - @Seattle - FOX
    10/30 - Monday night - New England - ESPN MNF
    11/5 - Sunday late afternoon - @SF - FOX
    11/12 - Sunday afternoon - Green Bay - FOX
    11/19 - Sunday afternoon - @Miami - FOX
    11/26 - Sunday afternoon - Arizona - FOX
    12/3 - Sunday afternoon - @Chicago - FOX
    12/10 - Sunday afternoon - @Detroit - FOX
    12/17 - Sunday afternoon - New York Jets - CBS
    12/21 - Thursday night - @Green Bay - NFL Network (in MSP, it will be on a local broadcast channel)
    12/31 - Sunday afternoon - St. Louis - FOX

Here's the broadcast network rule-of-thumb:
    * 2 NFC teams, game is on FOX
    * 2 AFC teams, game is on CBS
    * NFC vs. AFC game - game is on network partner of the VISITING team
    - the last rule is why the only game the Vikes have on CBS this year is when the Jets come to town

Finally - don't forget that after 11/12, NBC and ESPN will have the option to cherry-pick certain games each weekend to improve lousy match-ups for the Sunday and Monday night packages.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus,

Thanks! I guess I was reading "into" the entire Vikings making a deal with FSN thing combined with the fact that most of their games are being broadcast by FOX. Noting that FSN North (Ch. 641 on DTV) broadcasts the Twins games just as if you were getting the FOX Network and lived in MN, my assumption then was that FSN North would broadcast the Vikings games just as if you lived in MN. Do you get to see all the home games on FOX in MN?

It may still be worth it just to see the training camp and the weekly Vikes show but if the games aren't broadcast, then I may have to reconsider.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    This would be nice if I could get some of it on my Dish Network! Maybe that will be next. Ziggy has to know that there are Viking fans everywhere, not just MN?
    I know that DishNetwork has a sports package that you can subscribe to for around $6 per month that has a bunch of FSN stations; I'm thinking of getting it myself. Problem is, the only have one FSN North and I know there are two FSN stations, one for the WI area and one that covers more MN stuff. I'd hate to sign up and have to listen to stories about Little Lord Favreleroy all the freakin' time.

Anyone know which one comes with the package?
    I am a dipshit!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"boognish" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:
    This would be nice if I could get some of it on my Dish Network! Maybe that will be next. Ziggy has to know that there are Viking fans everywhere, not just MN?
    I know that DishNetwork has a sports package that you can subscribe to for around $6 per month that has a bunch of FSN stations; I'm thinking of getting it myself. Problem is, the only have one FSN North and I know there are two FSN stations, one for the WI area and one that covers more MN stuff. I'd hate to sign up and have to listen to stories about Little Lord Favreleroy all the freakin' time.

Anyone know which one comes with the package?
    It all depends on where you are from. Call them up & ask them if you will get it.

Keep in mind this "deal" is for a half-hour show during the Vikings training camp, not for televised games.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    Zeus,

Thanks! I guess I was reading "into" the entire Vikings making a deal with FSN thing combined with the fact that most of their games are being broadcast by FOX. Noting that FSN North (Ch. 641 on DTV) broadcasts the Twins games just as if you were getting the FOX Network and lived in MN, my assumption then was that FSN North would broadcast the Vikings games just as if you lived in MN. Do you get to see all the home games on FOX in MN?

It may still be worth it just to see the training camp and the weekly Vikes show but if the games aren't broadcast, then I may have to reconsider.

-DD
    As long as the home games are sold out, we'll get them on our local FOX station (Channel 9).

MLB and the NFL have different deals with TV. MLB allows the teams to sell their local rights for the vast majority of the 162 game season. Only certain Saturday games are shown on FOX. The NFL sells all of their regular-season games as packages to various networks, so the individual teams only have any input into which local channel shows the pre-season games.

So, the Twins sold the majority of their games to FSN North (and some to channel 29(??) I think - it's channel 3 on Charter cable), while the Vikings are locked into the schedule I listed above.

I am NOT sure what happens on DirectTV if you buy a package which gives you the local channels for the Twin Cities, rather than buying the NFL Sunday Ticket.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast