Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Fresh dysfunction, with a twist

[size=14pt]Fresh dysfunction, with a twist[/size]

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/508/story/619031.html

Jake and Elwood Blues were on a Mission from God. Koren Robinson was on a Mission to Brad.

In 1980, Sister Mary Stigmata gave the Blues Brothers 11 days to come up with the $5,000 in back taxes needed to save their childhood orphanage. On Tuesday, Vikings coach Brad Childress gave his athletes until 11 p.m. to report back to Gage Hall in Mankato or face a fine.

Jake and Elwood looked in the rear-view mirror, noted an increasing number of police vehicles, weighed this against the menacing visage of Sister Stigmata and continued on their mission to city hall in Chicago.

Twenty-six years later, Robinson saw the same sight in the mirror of his BMW, thought of Childress' mustache quivering in anger over a missed curfew, and continued through St. Peter, along a winding, leafy portion of Hwy. 169, into Mankato and onward to the Minnesota State campus.

This was a ringing endorsement of the discipline Childress has brought to the job in eight months for two reasons:

• One, here was a veteran player with experience in criminal court choosing to gamble with a felony fleeing charge over being late for Brad's curfew.

• Two, Robinson's official .09 blood alcohol reading made him easily the least drunk among the dozens of Vikings arrested on similar charges in the past quarter-century.

Shucks, at .09, Robinson would have been recruited by teammates to be the chauffeur along the 494 Strip during the Tommy Kramer Era.

Try as we might, no observation on the perpetual thirstiness of large numbers of Vikings will ever top that of Max McGee, the former Packers' radio analyst, when he saw Kramer twitching on the turf after taking a hit.

McGee, the owner of a 494 drinking establishment, said: "Gosh, I hope Kramer's OK. He's my best customer."

They are going to be saying the same thing about Robinson at the South Carolina treatment center that is turning into Koren's second home. He was there for nearly a month late last summer. He was back early this summer -- not for a sobriety slip, Robinson insisted, but for "prevention classes."

We recovering drunks refer to this as a "tuneup." Maybe it was the Beamer that was tuned up in a Darlington garage, to give him a better chance to outrun the cops, rather than Robinson's defenses against chemical abuse.

Still, you can't blame all of this on Robinson. If the bureaucrats at the Minnesota Department of Transportation had done their duty years ago, and sent Hwy. 169 circling around St. Peter instead of through it, a young man could have his last beverage in Eden Prairie a few minutes before 10 and not have to hit 105 miles per hour to get to Mankato's hilltop before 11 p.m.

After hearing those Childress speeches on accountability, you know Koren would have been driving legally drunk at no more than 85, 90, if it wasn't for those infernal stoplights in St. Peter.

And, there's another villain in this: Mike Tice.

Was it Childress who sold Robinson on signing with the Vikings two games into the 2005 season? Of course not.

Was it Childress who came up with the idea of taking immediate advantage of Robinson's presence as a kickoff returner? Of course not.

Was it Childress who installed Robinson as the Vikings' No. 1 deep threat in the second half of the schedule? Of course not.

That dastardly Tice was responsible for all of those things. He was the guy calling Robinson in the treatment center last September, putting the carrot of a job with the Vikings in front of him.

Tice also gave Robinson the chance to become a Pro Bowl kick returner. And, he was able to get Brad Johnson and Robinson hooked up for 12 receptions that averaged 23 yards apiece in Koren's first four games with extensive duty at receiver.

If Tice had not recruited him and then turned him into a star, would this new Vikings administration have been so enthused to sign Robinson to a three-year contract in March that contained $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses? Again, of course not.

So, go ahead, Purple fanatics -- put down Thirsty K as the last notation on Tice's scandal résumé, so you can continue to live the pipe dream that Childress' quivering mustache is going to make our roads and lakes safe from drunk and lewd Vikings.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

Re: Fresh dysfunction, with a twist

Patrick Reusse is a child that leaned how to formulate a complete sentence.
    Nothing more.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

haha, as that may be prophet, i got to say i was laughing when reading the mike tice part

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

Does this butt clown always write this way about the Vikings?

Prophet Guest

He's a rare breed, a Tice apologist.
    Some may think I'm anti-Tice.
    I'm not.
    I'm anti-Redneck.
    He gave the reigns to a coach that wasn't ready and let him keep the reigns while he drove the franchise into mediocrity.
    Tice could be a good HC someday, he wasn't ready when they gave him the job.....although, personally I don't think he will ever have what it takes to be an HC.
    Nothing wrong with that, there's a role for everyone in life.

Reusse is pro-Tice and anti-Childress.
    I think he may have pulled a Roethlisberger a few times in his life with less than desirable results.
    I'm not asking him to proclaim Childress as a saviour, most reasonably logical fans are cautiously optimistic about him.
    Most fans that have a few convolusions in their grey matter know that any prospective HC that has risen through the ranks, by default, has more potential than a pencil-wielding moron that bought into the concept that a picture is worth a thousand words when he was five years old, so literacy was never part of his package.
    Reusse should go back to what he's good at, autofellatio.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    I'm not.
    I'm anti-Redneck.
    He gave the reigns to a coach that wasn't ready and let him keep the reigns while he drove the franchise into mediocrity.
    Tice could be a good HC someday, he wasn't ready when they gave him the job.....although, personally I don't think he will ever have what it takes to be an HC.

I think he may have pulled a Roethlisberger a few times in his life with less than desirable results.
    I'm not asking him to proclaim Childress as a saviour, most reasonably logical fans are cautiously optimistic about him.
    Most fans that have a few convolusions in their grey matter know that any prospective HC that has risen through the ranks, by default, has more potential than a pencil-wielding silly guy that bought into the concept that a picture is worth a thousand words when he was five years old, so literacy was never part of his package.
    Your anti redneck???

The deal is OFF!

Prophet Guest

"Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I'm not.
    I'm anti-Redneck.

Most fans that have a few convolusions in their grey matter know that any prospective HC that has risen through the ranks, by default, has more potential than a pencil-wielding silly guy that bought into the concept that a picture is worth a thousand words when he was five years old, so literacy was never part of his package.
    Your anti redneck???

The deal is OFF!
    ;D, that is short for Redneck McCombs.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I'm not.
    I'm anti-Redneck.

Your anti redneck???

The deal is OFF!
    ;D, that is short for Redneck McCombs.
    Oh nevermind then he isn't a true redneck.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

put down Thirsty K as the last notation on Tice's scandal résumé, so you can continue to live the pipe dream that Childress' quivering mustache is going to make our roads and lakes safe from drunk and lewd Vikings.

Reese as I have said many time before is a curmudgeon that should be writing articles about women bowling leagues than any pro sports teams.

Because Childress didn't kiss the local media's a$$ when he came to town the old timer's in the local media have been taking shots at Childress and Reese and Jim Souhan from the Star Trib have been the worst and have gone out of their way to try and make the Viking's look stupid for everything they have done.

The rest of the media had positives to say about how Childress addressed the Koren situation in his press conference yesterday that he didn't try to hide from it and that he didn't make excuses for Robinson.
    But not Reese he has to take shots because Childress doesn't call him like Tice did to ask permission to run the Viking's.

So Reese do the sporting public in Minnesota a favor and retire you piece of dog excrement!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Yes I hate Reese!
    And I wish that he would move to another town like Green Bay, but I have to admit this was funny.

Shucks, at .09, Robinson would have been recruited by teammates to be the chauffeur along the 494 Strip during the Tommy Kramer Era.

Try as we might, no observation on the perpetual thirstiness of large numbers of Vikings will ever top that of Max McGee, the former Packers' radio analyst, when he saw Kramer twitching on the turf after taking a hit.

McGee, the owner of a 494 drinking establishment, said: "Gosh, I hope Kramer's OK. He's my best customer."

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast