Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Frerotte aiming to find rhythm - Hopes to perk up team's offense

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Never the most mobile quarterback to begin with, the 37-year-old Frerotte has been vulnerable to a heavy rush and thus taken 28 sacks in nine games. After last week's 30-12 win at Jacksonville, Childress criticized Frerotte for holding onto the ball too long.

Many of these are Gus's responsibility...our O line hasn't been great, but it's not that bad.

Also, we better find a way to cover the TE.
    Yes they are. One would think that after 15 years in the NFL, Frerotte would have learned how to throw the ball away.

Jackson does it, but when he does people like to say it was an inaccurate pass & fail to consider them in his completion percentage.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Never the most mobile quarterback to begin with, the 37-year-old Frerotte has been vulnerable to a heavy rush and thus taken 28 sacks in nine games. After last week's 30-12 win at Jacksonville, Childress criticized Frerotte for holding onto the ball too long.

Many of these are Gus's responsibility...our O line hasn't been great, but it's not that bad.

Yes they are. One would think that after 15 years in the NFL, Frerotte would have learned how to throw the ball away.

Jackson does it, but when he does people like to say it was an inaccurate pass & fail to consider them in his completion percentage.
    I've been a bit hard on Gus of late, however, part of it is his fault (sortof) for being so imobile.
    The second part should be placed squarely on the OL.

Lets see how many delayed LB blitz's we see up the middle today and if the coaches have the OL ready to pick them up.
    They haven't solved it for the past 3 games or so and for some reason I don't think they will be ready to solve it today either.

Long story short, unless that is fixed, even a seasoned Vet like Gus will lack the time to make the decisions necessary to either wait for a WR to clear the defender or throw it away if he tries to stand in the pocket.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

I've been a bit hard on Gus of late, however, part of it is his fault (sortof) for being so imobile.
    The second part should be placed squarely on the OL.

Lets see how many delayed LB blitz's we see up the middle today and if the coaches have the OL ready to pick them up.
    They haven't solved it for the past 3 games or so and for some reason I don't think they will be ready to solve it today either.

Long story short, unless that is fixed, even a seasoned Vet like Gus will lack the time to make the decisions necessary to either wait for a WR to clear the defender or throw it away if he tries to stand in the pocket.
    I'll jump in here and have to agree with Marr.
    I'm still very upset with and un-impressed with our OL line play on pass plays.
    We have and still do, have a lot of work to be done, when it comes to our pass blocking.
    Espeicaly when a blitz is thrown in by the aposing D also....

Bottom line for me is, Gus wouldn't look and seem to be as bad as most people think he is when it comes to his passing game,
    If the OL would get there heads out of their asses.
    Birk " cough "
    Cook " cough" Herreria
    " Caugh"

:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"He's playing good," Shiancoe said. "We just need to let him loose. In football, people make mistakes. But that's just what it is, man. It's checkers, it's not chess. Let us loose, and we'll do what we can do."
    Sounds like the
    players frustration of Childress offense is starting to spill out into the press....from the O players, none the less.

"Chazz" wrote:
    "He's playing good," Shiancoe said. "We just need to let him loose. In football, people make mistakes. But that's just what it is, man. It's checkers, it's not chess. Let us loose, and we'll do what we can do."
    Sounds like the
    players frustration of Childress offense is starting to spill out into the press....from the O players, none the less.
    Hmmm, I didn't quite take that quote as a "Frustrated Player".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    Sounds like the

How can you not take a player who says "Let us loose" as not being frustrated? First part "we just need to let him loose"...to me that says....Gus's hands are being tied. Then " in football, people make mistakes, but that's just what it is"...again, to me that says...Childress is holding Gus back so as he won't make ANY mistakes ie interceptions. Then he says " its checkers, it is not chess"...to me that says " we need to just play, not think and analyze everything. Then he finishes it up with "Let us loose, and we'll do what we can do" to me this say's...just let us play the fucking game and you will see what we are truly capable of!

There is no doubt in my mind that Chidress destroys QBs.
    He gets them so terrified of throwing a pick, that they will no longer pull the trigger. Gus this year is a perfect example...he was making plays down field, getting rid of the ball in rhythm and scoring TDs, but what came with that was picks. To me that's a fair trade. And now he looks just like every other QB we have put in...120-150 yards with 0% fear of a passing attack. I don't find it to be a coincidence that every QB that has played for Childress looks EXACTLY the same. I will gladly go back to the Offense of the Bears game, ints and all.

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    Sounds like the

How can you not take a player who says "Let us loose" as not being frustrated? First part "we just need to let him loose"...to me that says....Gus's hands are being tied. Then " in football, people make mistakes, but that's just what it is"...again, to me that says...Childress is holding Gus back so as he won't make ANY mistakes ie interceptions. Then he says " its checkers, it is not chess"...to me that says " we need to just play, not think and analyze everything. Then he finishes it up with "Let us loose, and we'll do what we can do" to me this say's...just let us play the fricken game and you will see what we are truly capable of!

He gets them so terrified of throwing a pick, that they will no longer pull the trigger. Gus this year is a perfect example...he was making plays down field, getting rid of the ball in rhythm and scoring TDs, but what came with that was picks. To me that's a fair trade. And now he looks just like every other QB we have put in...120-150 yards with 0% fear of a passing attack. I don't find it to be a coincidence that every QB that has played for Childress looks EXACTLY the same. I will gladly go back to the Offense of the Bears game, ints and all.

So what your saying is that because a QB starts to make bad decisions with the ball the staff is limiting him in what he can do?

Comeon my friend.
    There is no handcuffing going on here.
    If there was you wouldn't see all the INT's (he has to pass to get one of those) or sacks (he has to be dropping back to pass if there are one of those) etc etc.

It comes back to execution.
    The plays are sent in, the players (in this case the QB) needs to execute.

And no, I don't attribute those lame as quotes as frustration.
    Stuff like this equates to frustration......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,124462

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3719014

http://post-gazette.screamingsports.....aspx?a=645496

Look, I want the Chiller gone almost as much as you, however, I don't think it is gonna happen unless he loses this team and we start to see "frustration" coming out of them and I am not talking about a player sticking up for his QB to the press.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    Sounds like the

How can you not take a player who says "Let us loose" as not being frustrated? First part "we just need to let him loose"...to me that says....Gus's hands are being tied. Then " in football, people make mistakes, but that's just what it is"...again, to me that says...Childress is holding Gus back so as he won't make ANY mistakes ie interceptions. Then he says " its checkers, it is not chess"...to me that says " we need to just play, not think and analyze everything. Then he finishes it up with "Let us loose, and we'll do what we can do" to me this say's...just let us play the fricken game and you will see what we are truly capable of!

So what your saying is that because a QB starts to make bad decisions with the ball the staff is limiting him in what he can do?

Comeon my friend.
    If there was you wouldn't see all the INT's (he has to pass to get one of those) or sacks (he has to be dropping back to pass if there are one of those) etc etc.

Look, I want the Chiller gone almost as much as you, however, I don't think it is gonna happen unless he loses this team and we start to see "frustration" coming out of them and I am not talking about a player sticking up for his QB to the press.
    If you don't see frustration in that sentence then I can't help you.
    If he is not being handcuffed, then why did he use to get the ball out in rhythm, but now holds onto it to long. When Gus first came in, what I liked about him is...good or bad he always pulled the trigger. Now he looks lost like TJ. Gus did not suddenly forget how to throw the ball, so something must have scarred him into holding onto it.

"HANDCUFFED!!!!"

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    Sounds like the

Comeon my friend.

If he is not being handcuffed, then why did he use to get the ball out in rhythm, but now holds onto it to long. When Gus first came in, what I liked about him is...good or bad he always pulled the trigger. Now he looks lost like TJ. Gus did not suddenly forget how to throw the ball, so something must have scarred him into holding onto it.

"HANDCUFFED!!!!"
    I think any QB that sees the pocket disrupted (on a continual basis) by LB's coming in up the middle would feel a bit handcuffed.

Lets not forget, if you can't step into your throw, you won't be on target.
    IMHO that is a bigger contributor to being handcuffed than trying to say the coaching staff is holding him back.

Again, you need to explain away the INTs (throwing) and sacks (holding onto the ball to long while throwing) before we start to blame the play calling.
    ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Chazz link=topic=49261.msg870755#msg870755 date=1228057584]
    Sounds like the

Comeon my friend.

"HANDCUFFED!!!!"
    I think any QB that sees the pocket disrupted (on a continual basis) by LB's coming in up the middle would feel a bit handcuffed.

Lets not forget, if you can't step into your throw, you won't be on target.
    IMHO that is a bigger contributor to being handcuffed than trying to say the coaching staff is holding him back.

Again, you need to explain away the INTs (throwing) and sacks (holding onto the ball to long while throwing) before we start to blame the play calling.

;D
    [/quote]

Not putting it on play calling...at least for now. Just saying that Childress instills a deathly fear of the turnover into the hearts of QBs, to the point where they are too scared to pull the trigger, unless the WR is WIDE open, and then he will only throw it away from the defender instead of to the WR. Which in turn leads to the QB holding on to the ball to long leading to more sacks. And that is how I see it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast