Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Frazier states it was his decision and he'd do it again

If I had to do it over again, I dont think Id do it any differently under the circumstances, Frazier said. I knew exactly why we made the decision. Felt very confident going into the ballgame with the decision.

[COLOR=#333333][I]

Spielman was feeding him his lines too.
    LOL, he must of taped them for Frazier so he could figure them out

purpledoom is offline Starter
    The only positive thing I can see here is Ponder's been given a gift here. He can come out and show everyone how they f'd up benching him. Orrrr he can come out and show everyone why they did. Not that I love Ponder or think he's the answer but I kinda hope he does good, be nice to win a game.

donraul is offline Waterboy
    I've always liked Ponder as a bloke, so hope he blows them away, has an amazing season and then finds a way to a well run team.

I don't expect that to happen btw

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Exactly! That's what has me most puzzled about this whole QB drama. WTF did Cassel do to get demoted? 1 bad start vs 23 bad starts by Ponder. I guess that makes sense to a team like ours.
    He's had many more bad starts than Ponder. Cassel is a bad QB who has no chance of ever becoming a good QB. What would be the point of him ever starting? He had one game with good stats thanks to a 5 yard pass that went for 70 and a couple of dropped interceptions. He looked as hopeless as Freeman against Carolina. At least one can argue that Ponder or Freeman have the potential to get better.

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Start this guy.................Attachment 529
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    He's had many more bad starts than Ponder. Cassel is a bad QB who has no chance of ever becoming a good QB. What would be the point of him ever starting? He had one game with good stats thanks to a 5 yard pass that went for 70 and a couple of dropped interceptions. He looked as hopeless as Freeman against Carolina. At least one can argue that Ponder or Freeman have the potential to get better.
    There is a real danger here of starting Ponder: what if he does "ok"? What if he gives us just enough to keep him in, lose the draft spots that will net a top tier QB, and prevent us from finding out Freeman is a bust?

I can really see us going with Ponder, signing Freeman as his back up, and drafting more "weapons" for these 2 to use. Then we go into next year with high expectations, only to find Ponder is exactly who we thought he was, but Freeman is the young punk disaster the Buccs thought HE was. THIS CAN HAPPEN!!

The only other thing I will add is someone is making these bad decisions in the back ground. Frazier is manning up and taking responsibility, but I think this smells of a control freak owner pulling strings in the background. Some of these moves just aren't made by people who have a large amount of experience in the NFL.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    There is a real danger here of starting Ponder: what if he does "ok"? What if he gives us just enough to keep him in, lose the draft spots that will net a top tier QB, and prevent us from finding out Freeman is a bust?

I can really see us going with Ponder, signing Freeman as his back up, and drafting more "weapons" for these 2 to use. Then we go into next year with high expectations, only to find Ponder is exactly who we thought he was, but Freeman is the young punk disaster the Buccs thought HE was. THIS CAN HAPPEN!!

The only other thing I will add is someone is making these bad decisions in the back ground. Frazier is manning up and taking responsibility, but I think this smells of a control freak owner pulling strings in the background. Some of these moves just aren't made by people who have a large amount of experience in the NFL.
    I don't think we have to worry too much about a lot of good QB play from this team this year. I had that concern when Freeman first was signed, but thankfully we were able to see the bad Freeman early on, so hopefully we won't be duped if a good showing comes up down the road. If he is resigned, then hopefully it will be a shorter term deal that doesn't break the bank and we can still look to the draft for the future.

We know what Ponder will do. He may have a good game here and there, but the likelihood of him keeping it up with his current approach to the game is very doubtful.

Cassell never was more than a stop gap and even if he is retained it shouldn't stop us from looking in the draft.

I doubt we will be first in line come draft day, but top 5 looks pretty realistic. There will be a handful of guys all touted as 1-2 round guys this year, maybe more. Some will be duds and more than likely 1 or 2 will end up being studs. The bigger issue to me will be whether we will be able to identify the stud, moreso than what position we are picking. Clear separation from the talent pool this year is not obvious, so more than likely a future stud will be there when we pick...but will we be able to figure out who that guy is?

Here's the current top 10 according to CBS Sports:
    RANK PLAYER POS. POS. RANK SCHOOL CLASS HT. WT. PROJ. ROUND
    1 Teddy Bridgewater QB 1 Louisville Jr 6-3 205 1
    2 Marcus Mariota QB 2 Oregon rSo 6-4 212 1
    6 Brett Hundley QB 3 UCLA rSo 6-3 222 1
    8 Johnny Manziel QB 4 Texas A&M rSo 5-11 210 1
    18 Zach Mettenberger QB 5 LSU rSr 6-5 235 1
    28 Tajh Boyd QB 6 Clemson rSr 6-1 225 1-2
    40 Derek Carr QB 7 Fresno State rSr 6-3 215 1-2
    69 Aaron Murray QB 8 Georgia rSr 6-1 208 2-3
    76 Stephen Morris QB 9 Miami (Fla.) Sr 6-2 218 2-3
    94 A.J. McCarron QB 10 Alabama rSr 6-3 214 3

I believe all of these are eligible for the draft, but Mariota, Hundley or Manziel could possibly wait.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Bryce Petty at Baylor. Getting more production out of their offense than RGIII and he's doing it primarily in the pocket.

BTW: The last 5 QB's that were developed under Art Briles include Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum, RGII, Florence and now Petty.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Frazier states it was his decision and he'd do it again

If I had to do it over again, I dont think Id do it any differently under the circumstances, Frazier said. I knew exactly why we made the decision. Felt very confident going into the ballgame with the decision.

[COLOR=#333333][I]

Spielman was feeding him his lines too.
    Spielman and Wilf that is.

Frazier said the decision was up to his coaching staff and him, adding that he would have been able to go another route than naming Freeman the starter for Monday's game. But then he admitted he went to Spielman and the Wilf family, telling them what he planned to do and asking for their input. And then Frazier said something that might synthesize the underlying truth behind the Vikings' quarterback mess.

"When youre talking about the quarterback position, which affects your entire franchise, this is not a decision that you make alone," Frazier said. "I informed them what I was thinking and why I thinking this and why I wanted to do it, and they signed off on it. But no, you dont make these kind of decisions on an island."
    Vikings can't delay QB rebuilding any more - Minnesota Vikings Blog - ESPN

My guess is that Frazier is towing the company line. Remember, Frazier was adamant that he didn't want Freeman in the first place. That's well documented.

Schlereth had an interesting spin on all of this, which is a little out there, but this year anything is possible.

His conspiracy theory is Spielman & Wilf forced Frazier to start Freeman, the guy Frazier never wanted, because they wanted to see what he could do passing the ball. Frazier reluctantly started Freeman & when he saw how bad he was throwing the ball, instructed Musgrave to call even more passes so he could go back to Spielman & Wilf & state, "You got what you wanted. How do you like him now?"
    Last edited by singersp; 10-25-2013 at 03:23 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    (null)
    I am not totally convinced that that isn't how it went down.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    I am not totally convinced that that isn't how it went down.
    It appears you're injured......coach told me to inform you that you have carpal tunnel and its flaring up and you have to stay away from the keyboard for a few days

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast