Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    What about linebacker?

Brian Orakpo is getting the headlines, but would Karlos Dansby work in either a 3-4 or 4-3?
    Isnt Orakpo a 3-4 guy? we definitely NEED a MLB..no doubt

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    Isnt Orakpo a 3-4 guy? we definitely NEED a MLB..no doubt
    Orakpo is a 3-4 guy, but he can play run or pass, so he could play in a 4-3. That stated, he is an outside guy. If he was cheap, he would be great, but he will not be cheap, and the Vikings greatest need is on the inside.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    I guess somebody who is decent, and wont break the bank or that want stupid money
    I agree. We want the best players who will not break the bank.

WR depth?.. will Simpson be gone? does Webb actually count? haha
    I do not know about Simpson. If he books, the Vikings will need a replacement.

I am also curious about the Guard from the Fins'..Martin? is it? the one involved with Incognito..or is he blackballed at this point because of the bullying BS?
    Jonathan Martin was under his rookie contract, but the scuttlebutt is that he will be traded or released.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Orakpo is a 3-4 guy, but he can play run or pass, so he could play in a 4-3. That stated, he is an outside guy. If he was cheap, he would be great, but he will not be cheap, and the Vikings greatest need is on the inside.
    NO, he wont be cheap.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Tha vikings should sign ALTERRAUN VERNER frm Tennessee he's a good young corner and Cincinnati DE Michael Johnson also good and young
    Those are two on my wish list.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Karlos Dansby would be a nice player on our defense and we could look at New England WR Julian Edelman, he would be a nice pick up for our Offense or WR Jeremy Maclin frm Philly
    Why Edelman? He plays the slot and we have a pretty good slot in Jarius Wright. The only reason Edelman is looking so good is because of Brady and don't have anyone like Brady here. I think you will find Wright has just as much talent if not more if Edelman comes here.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    For the first time in years I'm not thinking WR is a priority at all. We can keep Simpson, or hope our young guys are ready for increased roles...Patterson, Wright, Smith, and maybe even Childs if we're lucky could be ready to step up. QB is obvious but there doesn't seem to be any FAs available that look worthwhile...I'm thinking we may as well keep Cassell. The other big need on offense is an upgrade at LG where Charlie Johnson is a FA we can let walk...he's 30 and graded out negative!? OUCH!

I think our first priority in Free Agency is finding a vet CB who can cover the nickel routes. Verner would be a good choice, he is young and played a lot of snaps with a decent grade according to PFF. Brent Grimes is over 30, but has the experience to handle the plethora of options offenses like to run underneath. DRC from Denver, Munnerlyn from CAR or Vontae Davis all look like good options too. Check out the PFF FA lists, they're great because they have their ages, snap count, and PFF's patented productivity rating.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-cornerbacks/

Here's the links to every position, and by team, so you can look at who some of our underachievers are who need to be let go!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...gency-tracker/

I like the Karlos Dansby idea quite a bit. Even at 32 he is a good all around LB with the knowledge and experience to hold down MLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3. I like Audie Cole too, I just don't think we should put all of our eggs in his basket. Maybe sign Dansby to a 3 year deal with options out after 2 to back up an important position and maybe help Cole's learning curve a bit while we're at it.

The top of the list at OG shows Wharton in CAR, who they may not be able to afford due to other stars who need new contracts, specifically, Gross and Hardy. Followed by a former Viking, Geoff Schwartz, who apparently had a really good year for KC. Drafting a road grader of an OG sounds great, I just feel like we have too many needs to fill them all in one draft, and we may have better luck filling in that LG spot with a vet. Look at the improvement Hutchinson brought to our OL...maybe we should throw some bucks at the top of the list (Wharton.)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    For the first time in years I'm not thinking WR is a priority at all. We can keep Simpson, or hope our young guys are ready for increased roles...Patterson, Wright, Smith, and maybe even Childs if we're lucky could be ready to step up. QB is obvious but there doesn't seem to be any FAs available that look worthwhile...I'm thinking we may as well keep Cassell. The other big need on offense is an upgrade at LG where Charlie Johnson is a FA we can let walk...he's 30 and graded out negative!? OUCH!

I think our first priority in Free Agency is finding a vet CB who can cover the nickel routes. Verner would be a good choice, he is young and played a lot of snaps with a decent grade according to PFF. Brent Grimes is over 30, but has the experience to handle the plethora of options offenses like to run underneath. DRC from Denver, Munnerlyn from CAR or Vontae Davis all look like good options too. Check out the PFF FA lists, they're great because they have their ages, snap count, and PFF's patented productivity rating.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-cornerbacks/

Here's the links to every position, and by team, so you can look at who some of our underachievers are who need to be let go!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...gency-tracker/

I like the Karlos Dansby idea quite a bit. Even at 32 he is a good all around LB with the knowledge and experience to hold down MLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3. I like Audie Cole too, I just don't think we should put all of our eggs in his basket. Maybe sign Dansby to a 3 year deal with options out after 2 to back up an important position and maybe help Cole's learning curve a bit while we're at it.

The top of the list at OG shows Wharton in CAR, who they may not be able to afford due to other stars who need new contracts, specifically, Gross and Hardy. Followed by a former Viking, Geoff Schwartz, who apparently had a really good year for KC. Drafting a road grader of an OG sounds great, I just feel like we have too many needs to fill them all in one draft, and we may have better luck filling in that LG spot with a vet. Look at the improvement Hutchinson brought to our OL...maybe we should throw some bucks at the top of the list (Wharton.)
    I like Dansby but he's too old and doesn't fit what Spielman does by signing young players coming off their first contract...

Secondly, I doubt we are very active in FA.. We have a ton of players we need to sign and will need to get those players first. I think we may look toward a corner, guard, and maybe depth at other positions...

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    For all you stat gurus out there, is there any way of looking at how a defensive player does in third down situations? We were decent on defense last year if you remove third down plays, I want to say I remember from one of the games I watched last year.

The most frustrating time I had as a fan was when our defense put the opposing offense in third down and long situations, only to give up an EASY first down.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Two guys I like and I think we have a legit shot at going after because they played defense for coach Zimmer are DE Michael Johnson and S Chris Crocker (believe he plays CB as well) CB options I would like are Brent Grimes, Agib Talib, or Sam Shields.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast