Thread: Free Agent Frenzy!! Or is it...?
03-12-2014, 07:32 PM #11
03-12-2014, 07:52 PM #12
Revis looks like he is going to NE for a 1yr $12M contract. How does that help us? I have no elusions of SB next year and I would much prefer building a team for the long run while the new staff starts working the pieces.
At this point, the coaching staff hardly knows what they have to work with on the current roster. Just film, profiles and advice.
Give it at least a year to start forming before sinking a lot of long term big dollar contracts. Until then load the team up with high value guys that have room to grow. Take Seattle's and San Fran's lead in the last few years and find profile players to fill most of the roster before going out on the market and looking for the last remaining couple pieces.
And to those wondering about the salary cap dollars being spent. Just sit back and wait, it will get used up, just not the way you expect. Hopefully it will be done in a way that doesn't hurt us down the road, when it will do more good.
Free Agent Frenzy!! Or is it...?
I would think wit tha background both HC and OC have i think this will be a better team wit tha new signing and wit tha draft coming up who really liked tha Childress hire or tha Frazier one for that matter neither one of em HC had a resume like Zimmer and Turner
03-12-2014, 08:45 PM #14Coordinator
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
03-14-2014, 12:04 AM #15
I am happy with how the Vikings have handled the free agency thus far. Have signed solid players and made improvements at our most needed positions. LB is looking like #1 pick for us and hoping Kalil Mack is there. Going out and throwing way to much money at the biggest names in free agency does not make for a good free agency.
03-14-2014, 05:36 AM #16
- Join Date
- Dec 1969
- West Fargo, ND
- Blog Entries
I have zero complaints about free agency. Slick Rick and the rest of the FO have brought in some solid free agents and resigned our own players at key positions.
Don't get me wrong - somebody will find something to complain about... they always do. But I'm fairly happy right now.Zeus wrote:
When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM #17
No one realizes that we have be "building thru the draft" since 2010 and we have nothing but a couple of sub 5 win seasons to show for it. Well, that can APs unbelievable season. With 40 million in cap we got a lot of role players for star money. I know we all are drinking the koolaid but we just paid an unknown fan favorite...top DE money. We paid a good DL( read not great) top DT money.
I am content with what he have but please stop trying to sell it like you this has been an amazing offseason. We have gone to the dance with the ugly girl. She won't break your heart but no one is envying you either.
03-14-2014, 07:25 AM #18
03-14-2014, 08:01 AM #19
We have had a fantastic offseason ... there is no reason to see it as anything else.
1. We have brought in a completely new structure from head coach down ... something that had not been done and had needed done here for quite a while.
2. We did not OVERPAY for Michael Johnson (an older version of a player that Zimmer clearly sees as not that much better than Griffen) or Verner.
3. We maybe could have made the splash and went after a Revis or Talib, but those guys have not won dick in the league. Overpaid cornerbacks do not help teams win Super Bowls, overpaid quarterbacks do. I am very content with the depth we are adding at CB.
4. Linval Joseph is a FANTASTIC signing. Being excited for that is completely fair. He is a VERY GOOD player and a major upgrade.
5. We have CERTAINLY upgraded NT and CB already ... That is something to feel very good about heading into a draft where we can go a bunch of different ways.
6. They are not done filling holes yet ... it will continue up to, through and after the draft. Zimmer has a clear idea what he wants done and Slick Rick is working with him instead of against him.
03-14-2014, 08:36 AM #20