FB (If Felton doesn't come back)
How we go about that?
After the recent cuts, we've got a pretty decent chunk of cap to work with.
Think 2005. We signed Pat, Winfield, Sharper, Leber, we can manage something like that again.
Solving our problems:
1. Work trade for Cruz involving NOT a first rounder. Failing that, sign Jennings
2. Sign a second-tier WR like Gibson or Amendola based on what we get on objective #1
3. Sign Dashon Goldson to replace Sanford/Raymond. Relegate them to backup duty
4. Sign Dunta Robinson or similar at corner
5. Re-sign Felton
6. Re-sign Loadholt
7. Find a LB or three(including draft picks) (not sure who exactly's on the market, Maualuga perhaps?)
8. Sign a veteran backup who is capable of actually playing (not Curtis Painter)
9. get a scat-type RB(Toby's gotta go)
10. Trade Toby
The top few will be tough, as we're signing 2 big name players and a third key starter. We have the space to spread those cap hits out, and I don't think there are a ton of expensive re-signs coming up in the next couple years. (Allen and KW, I'm sure one of those two don't come back once their contract's up)
1) WR: Danario Alexander and someone else. I'm not sure who. Someone coming off of a solid season for a relatively low price. Donald Jones, Donny Avery, Brandon Gibson. Someone like that. I'd even consider Braylon Edwards. He made Sanchez look pretty good a few times, I think he could make Ponder look similar.
I don't want to give a 1st for Cruz or pay either Wallace(no more strikethrough? anyway Wallace signed in Miami) or Jennings. Jennings I'd consider if the price is right, but I suspect it won't be. I want to draft a WR with one of our first rounders, but that's for another thread.
2) Corner: Keenan Lewis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Sean Smith would all be solid pick ups. Asomugha if he's willing to take a third of what the Eagles gave him.
3) Linebacker: I know we need one or more, but I'm not sure who we should go after. I've always like Keith Brooking, but he has a hard time staying healthy. Most of the other free agent outside linebackers are pass rushers more suited for 3-4 systems. I'd also like to draft an inside linebacker, since there are seriously limited options in free agency.
4) Safety: Kenny Phillips, Louis Delmas or Glover Quinn would be good pickups. Dashon Goldson would be awesome, but I don't know how much I trust his cover skills.
5) An interior defensive lineman: Alan Branch, Mike Devito, Glenn Dorsey, Terrance Knighton would all be acceptable fits. Another position we should draft at too.
6) An interior offensive lineman to replace Charlie Johnson: Louis Vazquez or Donald Thomas(signed with Indianapolis) from New England. Vazquez would be kind of pricey, and Thomas is mostly unproven.
7) Veteran QB Competition for Ponder: I really have no clue who. Edit: Maybe Fitzpatrick? Bills just cut him.
Last edited by Mr Anderson; 03-12-2013 at 05:25 PM.
How about this for a wish list, win a f'n SB in my lifetime.
Amen. Although that is probably on the back burner for 5-6 years unless we do it this year. But we do get a shiny new stadium, which to the majority of Vikings fans is more important than a Super Bowl.
purplepride.org is an independent fan site and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the NFL (National Football League). All content within this purplepride fan page is provided by, and for, purplepride fans. It represents opinions of the fans who frequent the site and in no way reflect the views of the NFL, Minnesota Vikings, or associated properties. We are not responsible for comments posted by our users, as they are the property of the poster.