Free Agency wish list
First of all our needs are...WR, DT, LB's, CB's & OL.
I would go after 3 needs in FA. WR=Jennings over Wallace & then OL & CB.
I would even give up our 1st round pick that we got from Seattle to use for a trade to get Victor Cruz.
There are some good CB's out there in FA along with OL that won't break our budget.
The draft is deep in DT's & I think we can get a solid receiver in the draft as well.
Then we could go DT with our first pick.
What doesn't this team need?
They need several WR's.
They need a few LB's.
They need a couple CB's, and a couple S's.
They need help on both lines
They need a viable "backup" QB so when Ponder gets hurt of sucks ass, the offense can hopefully keep moving.
This team is hurting right now big time.
How i see our needs:
FB (If Felton doesn't come back)
How we go about that?
After the recent cuts, we've got a pretty decent chunk of cap to work with.
Think 2005. We signed Pat, Winfield, Sharper, Leber, we can manage something like that again.
Solving our problems:
1. Work trade for Cruz involving NOT a first rounder. Failing that, sign Jennings
2. Sign a second-tier WR like Gibson or Amendola based on what we get on objective #1
3. Sign Dashon Goldson to replace Sanford/Raymond. Relegate them to backup duty
4. Sign Dunta Robinson or similar at corner
5. Re-sign Felton
6. Re-sign Loadholt
7. Find a LB or three(including draft picks) (not sure who exactly's on the market, Maualuga perhaps?)
8. Sign a veteran backup who is capable of actually playing (not Curtis Painter)
9. get a scat-type RB(Toby's gotta go)
10. Trade Toby
The top few will be tough, as we're signing 2 big name players and a third key starter. We have the space to spread those cap hits out, and I don't think there are a ton of expensive re-signs coming up in the next couple years. (Allen and KW, I'm sure one of those two don't come back once their contract's up)
1) WR: Danario Alexander and someone else. I'm not sure who. Someone coming off of a solid season for a relatively low price. Donald Jones, Donny Avery, Brandon Gibson. Someone like that. I'd even consider Braylon Edwards. He made Sanchez look pretty good a few times, I think he could make Ponder look similar.
I don't want to give a 1st for Cruz or pay either Wallace(no more strikethrough? anyway Wallace signed in Miami) or Jennings. Jennings I'd consider if the price is right, but I suspect it won't be. I want to draft a WR with one of our first rounders, but that's for another thread.
2) Corner: Keenan Lewis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Sean Smith would all be solid pick ups. Asomugha if he's willing to take a third of what the Eagles gave him.
3) Linebacker: I know we need one or more, but I'm not sure who we should go after. I've always like Keith Brooking, but he has a hard time staying healthy. Most of the other free agent outside linebackers are pass rushers more suited for 3-4 systems. I'd also like to draft an inside linebacker, since there are seriously limited options in free agency.
4) Safety: Kenny Phillips, Louis Delmas or Glover Quinn would be good pickups. Dashon Goldson would be awesome, but I don't know how much I trust his cover skills.
5) An interior defensive lineman: Alan Branch, Mike Devito, Glenn Dorsey, Terrance Knighton would all be acceptable fits. Another position we should draft at too.
6) An interior offensive lineman to replace Charlie Johnson: Louis Vazquez or Donald Thomas(signed with Indianapolis) from New England. Vazquez would be kind of pricey, and Thomas is mostly unproven.
7) Veteran QB Competition for Ponder: I really have no clue who. Edit: Maybe Fitzpatrick? Bills just cut him.
How about this for a wish list, win a f'n SB in my lifetime. I am 35, I am sure that will be hard for this franchise to do, but at least try.
Amen. Although that is probably on the back burner for 5-6 years unless we do it this year. But we do get a shiny new stadium, which to the majority of Vikings fans is more important than a Super Bowl.
Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis