Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: FRED SMOOT VIDEO!!! SHOCKING!!!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "minvikes01" wrote:
    you forgot the one where he missed the takle on peerless price in the backfield and price scored a TD
    I hope your just F-ing kidding.
    Nope. He is not F-ing kidding.

There's already a youtube video of it up, but the quality is so bad you can't even see the numbers. But I know it's Smoot because of A) No one else on our team would have missed that tackle(except for Kluwe and Longwell maybe) and
    B) He had a towel coming out the side of his pants.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MYi3nKunXlQ

modena11 is offline Rookie

i'm by no means saying smoot has played well at all. but the video doesn't prove how horrible everyone says he has been playing.

1st play, cover three, EJ doesn't get across and over pursues. the OC or losman probably picks up on it as they threw the curl like a thousand times.

2nd play, safety blitz, again smoot has to cover up top and nap comes across and has a big area to cover, thats the risk with the blitz itself and it didnt work. nap overpursued and they got the 1st.

3rd play, he made the tackle, well atleast tripped him up for him to be finished off.

4th play, slipped, end of story. apparently he needs better cleats or something.

5th play, again safety blitz, same as play 2. bills throw a curl again, they are reading our defence like a book. smoot comes back and was in no real position to make a tackle.

6th play, is what we paid for, single coverage and he breaks up the pass. we need more of it and soon.

7th play, another blitz by us, and another curl pattern by the bills. another zone assignment for the corners and LB's.

on the price TD, just a missed tackle. he had the coverage and read teh play, just didnt get the job done. but as a d, we need to swarm, gang tackle, like the bears and ravens.

all of the plays the bills ran on those clips, were to the weakside. no TE running routes in the vicinty. also no 3rd WR. more open room and if were playing zone and the LBs have to cover that area, if they don't get there, QBs will do that all day. thats why losman looked there early and often. we took away the deep and they took the little. you can't blame smoot for this. we blitzed all those plays pretty much and smoots assignment was to take away the deep pattern.

i don't like blaming a player unless he is playing just brutal. i don't think smoot is horrible there. i look at the team/coaching first, then if that is all in order, go to the player. football is a team game.

on all these curls we are giving the LB's alot of area to cover when we blitz. apparently offences are picking up on this, throwing the curls and moving the chains.

imo, these plays really don't show how "bad" smoot has been playing. i bet if you looked at everyplayer on the field and found every bad play they had, every player would be horrible.

side note: i like this video watching though. i think it could become a great area for PP.O. after a game, if we can get some coverage of the game uploaded and review some of the game footage, we can dissect some problems and hopefully find some answers.

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Hey Ultra!!!

Thanks for posting the vid. It's pretty stark evidence of Smoot's mediocrity. Although I feel I should point out to you that you missed the play where Smoot missed tackling Price in the backfield and Price scored a TD as a result...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Honestly though, the Price TD makes the whole team look horrible; I couldn't make out the LB who was the last visible Viking (2-yd line) prior to Price's crossing the goal line, but whoever that player was made no attempt to speed up from his light jog to at least try to knock Peerless horizontal on the 2. Of course, Smoot should have tried to make that tackle with more than just one hand, as well.

Smoot used to sacrifice his body like crazy with Washington. He was never an above average tackler, but he would close at lightning speed, go airborne and crack his collarbone trying to take a player down. Go look at the video again and tell me it doesn't look like Smoot has become scared of hard contact. Regardless of what D plays are being called, when the receiver has the ball, you can see Smoot either hesitate to make the tackle (obvious on the first clip), or he tries to get out of the WR's way then use only his arms to make the WR go down with their own momentum. Of course, Smoot can't seem to figure out that this won't work when he's a lot smaller than the receiver, but... he looks really shell shocked on the field, and I don't think an NFL player can really shake that kind of hesitation once it sets in.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "minvikes01" wrote:
    you forgot the one where he missed the takle on peerless price in the backfield and price scored a TD
    I hope your just F-ing kidding.
    Nope. He is not F-ing kidding.

There's already a youtube video of it up, but the quality is so bad you can't even see the numbers. But I know it's Smoot because of A) No one else on our team would have missed that tackle(except for Kluwe and Longwell maybe) and
    B) He had a towel coming out the side of his pants.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MYi3nKunXlQ
    I know there is a vid on youtube, Singer pointed that out.

What I am saying is that this is the 5th or so person to point this out.
    When I spent the time combing the game I thought that Smoot was on the other side....hence I did not even bother looking at that part.
    Crap, just wanted to give the community some homemade Vikings clips.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Thank you Mr. Ultra for proving a point I have been harping on for weeks... Gracious !!!

Bench Freddie NOW !!!!!

and then cut him later .......

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345