singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fred Smoot: Counting His Calories

[size=18px]Counting His Calories[/size]

July 05, 2006

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

At a day in age when so many of us are counting calories and trying to lose weight, leave it to Vikings defensive back Fred Smoot to buck the trend and attempt to gain weight. In fact, it's Smoot's goal to be playing nearly 15 pounds heavier than he did last season.

"I'm right around 199 and 200 right now, and that'll be my goal heading in (to training camp)," Smoot says. "But I'm looking to trim this up a little bit and get down to around 3% body fat and play around 195."

So, while we're ordering carb-free meals and avoiding trans fats, why is Smoot looking to get heavier?

"The biggest factor was that since my sophomore season in high school I actually missed some games," Smoot said. "So I think that messed with me mentally as the year went on last season. I wasn't used to sitting at home and watching my team play and I think that got to me. I started lifting right after the season and then I talked to the coaches and they told me this is how we're going to play this year and that was good because I was already lifting and bulking up."

Though it may seem easy and fun, gaining weight to build more muscle requires a delicate balance of eating and training. Sure, inhaling potato chips and indulging in chocolate bars is easy, but the training and workout regiment Smoot maintained added to the challenge of putting on those extra pounds of muscle.

"You still train and you don't just sit at home and let the weight pile up," Smoot said. "You still do your agility drills, still run and you still do the things that you would do if you weren't trying to gain weight but you still put on weight. I increased my weight lifting regiment and increased the things I was eating.

"I ate more, no doubt. I ate more protein. More meats and veggies and just put on more weight. But I didn't put on weight just to put on weight. I did a lot of lifting to turn that weight I was gaining into muscle. The style of defense that we're going to play this year is going to require me and Antoine [Winfield] to make more tackles and I don't want to wear down as the season goes along. And then coming off of an almost season-ending injury with my shoulder I don't want that to trouble me at all so I had to bulk up."

Even though the Vikings off-season workouts and minicamps don't include pads and tackling, Smoot can feel the difference now that he's carrying added weight.

"Yeah I can tell right now, but I'll really be able to tell when we put those pads on, you know. I'm still running around good like when I was 185 (pounds) so there's no difference in the running. But I'm going to truly feel the difference when we throw those pads on in training camp and somebody has to feel me for the first time."

The rewards are great when a player like Smoot can build-up more muscle and add weight, but limitations and risks also enter the picture. Playing defensive back in the NFL requires sharp footwork, lightning-like quickness, and a jolting first step. Some of the NFL vets gave their input to Smoot echoing those concerns.

"Champ [Bailey] and I are really close and we're always talking about stuff. He asked me if I was sure I wanted to put all that weight on. And I told him it was about time for me to add some weight. He said just to make sure I can run and not lose any speed because that's the biggest factor."

Smoot did have a couple of training partners this off-season to assist him in his goal of bulking up. While he was packing on the pounds, teammate Kenechi Udeze was trying to work his way back down the weight scale after suffering an injury that ended his 2005 season much too early.

"I really just stayed down here with Kenechi [Udeze] most of the time but when I did go home I had my junior college coach to work with. And he's a military coach and I called him and got some ideas from him. He got me started and pointed me in the right direction."

A healthy, heavier Fred Smoot in Minnesota means sorer and less productive receivers across the NFL. Smoot is hoping the added weight will make him a force to be reckoned with on the field, not just in the weight room.

Counting His Calories

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Fred Smoot: Counting His Calories

good for him, doesnt mean jack until he makes up for last year

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

I love to hear about players bettering themselves without anyone telling them to. This is great news and I wish we heard things like this about our entire team. Big props to Smooty for doing this. I also have a ton of respect for this because Im doing the same thing for my football team right now.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    good for him, doesnt mean jack until he makes up for last year
    Last year is in the past.

I just want to see him prove himself this year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I want to see Smoot prove that he is on of the best corners in the league this coming year. He really is showing that he has a serious work ethic now.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23985