Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    True MM, but there is a difference between knowing how to execute it and knowing how to teach and coach it and I am not convinced Singletary knows how to coach it.

TNViking is offline Starter
    DB Coach Matt Sheldon has to go. I've never seen a set of DB's so confused every single week. They looked lost like they had no idea what scheme they were playing or what the coverage was half the time.

I'm wary of Singletary but I think he'll get the job. Let's hope the "reports" of laziness are just rumors.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TNViking View Post
    DB Coach Matt Sheldon has to go. I've never seen a set of DB's so confused every single week. They looked lost like they had no idea what scheme they were playing or what the coverage was half the time.

I'm wary of Singletary but I think he'll get the job. Let's hope the "reports" of laziness are just rumors.
    The DB Coach is Joe Woods, he has been for many years, he is from the Tomlin Era.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    The DB Coach is Joe Woods, he has been for many years, he is from the Tomlin Era.
    Tomlin wasn't here long enough to have his own era.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    My guess is he will hire either Singletary or he will get an expert in the docile T2 scheme so we can continue to give up 400 yard passing games to the rest of the division.
    The problem is personnel and coaching, not scheme. Remind me what the Giants' base defense is again?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Platypus View Post
    The problem is personnel and coaching, not scheme. Remind me what the Giants' base defense is again?
    Thank you BBQ! It all starts with the personnel. Which is in total shambles thanks to our incompetent front office.

It's also crazy to see all the coaches that you guys are suggesting! You guys honestly believe that Steve Spagnuolo wants to coach the defense here when he has offers on the table from Philly and Atlanta? Or Bill Cowher for Head Coach? We gotta be realistic here guys. We offered Mel Tucker the DC job. He chose to stay in JACKSONVILLE instead of coming here. He honestly believed that the worst team (Jacksonville) in the worst division in football (AFC south) was an UPGRADE over the Minnesota Vikings. Still think we can get top-tier head coaches or coordinators? Think again. Not with this front office. Not with this personnel. We would be LUCKY to have a guy like Mike Singletary coaching our defense.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

TNViking is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Sorry, must have looked on an old site. Regardless the DB coach has to go.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Platypus View Post
    Interesting you brought that up. had you been watching the Giants you would see the reason they turned the season around:

Fewell Has Giants’ Defense Dominating at Right Time | GiantsFootballBlog.com

We have been begging for Fewell to abandon his Tampa 2 passive scheme for the past two seasons. In the first 50 minutes of the game, when it mattered, when the Giants put away the Falcons, we were able to tally a total of 45 defensive plays. Multiple Choice: Out of 45 plays, how many of them of them were zone coverage?A) 8
    B) 18
    C) 28
    D) More than 28
    In this playoff game, Fewell called a grand total of 8 zone playcalls out of 45 total plays, or 18%. FANTASTIC!!!
    In those 8 plays, the Giants got roughed up for 20 yards, 18 yards and 21 yards, but we are not advocating playing man coverage 100% of the time either. Because the Giants played predominantly man coverage, Julio Jones and Roddy White had a miserable day at the office. Combined they went for 12 catches for 116 yards. LOL!! 59 of those yards came from the passive zone! And one of those 3 catches was in a 3rd and 21 situation where they only got 18 underneath. Subtract 5 yards in garbage time. So essentially the man coverage allowed the two wideouts to get a grand total of 55 yards on ~8 catches. Thatís a zero, folks. As in- a shutout.

purpledoom is offline Starter
    [QUOTE=MulletMullitia;1118195]Thank you BBQ! It all starts with the personnel. Which is in total shambles thanks to our incompetent front office.

It's also crazy to see all the coaches that you guys are suggesting! You guys honestly believe that Steve Spagnuolo wants to coach the defense here when he has offers on the table from Philly and Atlanta? Or Bill Cowher for Head Coach? We gotta be realistic here guys. We offered Mel Tucker the DC job. He chose to stay in JACKSONVILLE instead of coming here. He honestly believed that the worst team (Jacksonville) in the worst division in football (AFC south) was an UPGRADE over the Minnesota Vikings. Still think we can get top-tier head coaches or coordinators? Think again. Not with this front office. Not with this personnel. We would be LUCKY to have a guy like Mike Singletary coaching our defense.[QUOTE]

Well if he ends up as the DC I guess we'll see. Personally I believe we won't be lucky at all. Great players do not necesarily make great coaches.

I like the idea of Singletary as DC. Someone that will get in the face of players that need it. Maybe it will help offset Fraziers zero emotion tempo on the sideline. There are times when players need to be yelled at for extra push and discipline. It's like a mother that constantly babies her child, it will usually walk over her and not do what it's told.

No one likes to be yelled at, but once it's happened a couple of times you will do the things you are told so it doesn't happen again. IMO.

With Frazier constantly looking like a confused beat up puppy on the sideline, there needs to be someone with some fire to wake everyone up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast