Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fred Pagac believes in the blitz

Vikings defensive coordinator Fred Pagac believes in the blitz

When it seemed the Vikings were reaching the pit of their 2010 performance, it was a man they call “Pug” that reached into the bag of magic coordinator tricks and offered new life for a depressed team.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/06/12/11/Vikings-defensive-coordinator-Chuck-Paga/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=532166&feedID=3697

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Fred Pagac believes in the blitz

Good article. I remember Vick getting slammed hard to the turf very early in that game. It rang his bell and he was never the same afterwards.
    I thought that one hard hit had the biggest impact on the outcome of the game.

I like hearing that Pug wants to be aggressive. I hope he teaches the defense to go for the strip like the Bears do. The defense could use more turnovers and don't seem to get a lot of picks.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good. I love aggressive DC's. To be honest Floyd Peters was always my favorite DC for the Vikings and when he had Teerlink (Now coaching Indy's DL) we had a hell of a defense who always put pressure on the QB.

If we can get back to that and away from this yellow belly bend but don't break pansy ass defense I will be very happy.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

“We’re going to be attacking,” he said. “We’re going to be aggressive.”
    Music to my ears .... I am looking forward this season. I hope we have one. I love watching an aggressive defense. Skol.

marshallvike is online now Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098691
    Good. I love aggressive DC's. To be honest Floyd Peters was always my favorite DC for the Vikings and when he had Teerlink (Now coaching Indy's DL) we had a hell of a defense who always put pressure on the QB.

If we can get back to that and away from this yellow belly bend but don't break pansy ass defense I will be very happy.
    I'm with you. An aggressive D makes the beers flow faster and the food taste better on Sundays.I'd rather get burned occasionally being aggressive than get bitch slapped all the way down the field. They may hear the viking horn blowing more frequently next year at my local tavern full of Bear fans.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1098801
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098691

I'm with you. An aggressive D makes the beers flow faster and the food taste better on Sundays.I'd rather get burned occasionally being aggressive than get bitch slapped all the way down the field. They may hear the viking horn blowing more frequently next year at my local tavern full of Bear fans.
    They should post this in huge red letters in the Vikings locker room. I hate the cover 2.

I'd rather get burned occasionally being aggressive than get bitch slapped all the way down the field.
    I'm also a Floyd Peters believer. That guy was so intense on the sidelines I thought he was going to put himself in the game.

The Vikings had a long tradition of pocket collapsing defensive tackles, Page, Millard, Randle, and even Kevin Williams started out that way.

The Randle Thomas combination was a good formula for a stout run defense and a good pass rush.

We had a sniff of that with Kevin and Pat, but Pat's slowing down and Kevin doesn't show up for some games.

The Vikings also have a long history of less than great defensive backs.

Hope this coaching staff can do better.

On the offensive side of the ball, I still think Jerry Burns was the best offensive coordinator the Vikes have had.

He was creative and always kept the opponents guessing.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

First, its good to get back and see the that Newshound is on the site. Love commenting on the stuff he posts.......

Second........YOWZA......No way thats a Vikings Cheerleader....

Third, a great read my friend. Some interesting nuggets.....
    He took a zone-based defense that had gained the reputation of bend-don’t-break and turned it into a temporary jailbreak against arguably the most feared running quarterback to ever play the game,
    There is an actual term/name for the defense, its called a "Pressure Zone". Been saying it all offseason. Best team to watch run it is the Steelers. They've been doing almost exclusively for 2 years now.

He took the Vikings’ most reliable and accomplished cornerback, Antoine Winfield, and fired him into the Philadelphia backfield relentlessly
    Whinny would best be served (along with the team) if he was moved to S or atleast inside and only came in on the nickle.

The key will be how well Pagac can mask his intentions from game to game in the film-intensive NFL, where secrets are exposed as soon as they are executed on the field.
    Everyone seemed to beeeeyatch about how predictable our offense was. I, on the other hand, believe that Leslies biggest problem as a D-coord was predictability. I, for one got tired of watching Chad and EJ "Mugging the Line" on almost every play.

If your gonna blitz out of a C2 defense then you better not let the offense know its coming or you will get torched.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098902
    First, its good to get back and see the that Newshound is on the site. Love commenting on the stuff he posts.......

He took a zone-based defense that had gained the reputation of bend-don’t-break and turned it into a temporary jailbreak against arguably the most feared running quarterback to ever play the game,
    There is an actual term/name for the defense, its called a "Pressure Zone". Been saying it all offseason. Best team to watch run it is the Steelers. They've been doing almost exclusively for 2 years now.

He took the Vikings’ most reliable and accomplished cornerback, Antoine Winfield, and fired him into the Philadelphia backfield relentlessly
    Whinny would best be served (along with the team) if he was moved to S or atleast inside and only came in on the nickle.

The key will be how well Pagac can mask his intentions from game to game in the film-intensive NFL, where secrets are exposed as soon as they are executed on the field.
    Everyone seemed to beeeeyatch about how predictable our offense was. I, on the other hand, believe that Leslies biggest problem as a D-coord was predictability. I, for one got tired of watching Chad and EJ "Mugging the Line" on almost every play.
    If your gonna blitz out of a C2 defense then you better not let the offense know its coming or you will get torched.
    Remember Mardro, he couldve been hog tied by the Chiller as to the overall look/scheme/# of blitzes. As soon as he took over the interim HC role the Defense looked much different......

Also I am of the opinion that we will see Pagac and Frazier move guys around to be the most effective Ie Winny short side blitzes in the Philadelphia game.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1099242

Remember Mardro, he couldve been hog tied by the Chiller as to the overall look/scheme/# of blitzes. As soon as he took over the interim HC role the Defense looked much different......

Also I am of the opinion that we will see Pagac and Frazier move guys around to be the most effective Ie Winny short side blitzes in the Philadelphia game.
    Nope, not buying it. For to many years I've been told the defense was good because the Chiller didn't have any say in it and only messed with the offense.

Then you mix in the multiple quotes from Leslie himself saying that he had nothing to do with the scheme tweaks or play calling once he took over as interim HC.

In the end, if nothing else comes out of the Chiller firing, the little fact that Leslie isn't messing with the defense anymore gives me solice.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099270
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1099242

Nope, not buying it. For to many years I've been told the defense was good because the Chiller didn't have any say in it and only messed with the offense.
    Where in the hell did you hear that? I guarantee Chilly had a say, he just didn't call the plays. Chilly is an offensive guy with a rough understanding of our defense. He ran our offense, despite handing playcalling over to Bevell for some time, he still called the shots. I gaurantee you in meetings, Childress had far more input than he needed to have as to how we ran the D.

Have you noticed, between Tomlin and Fraizer, our D remained pretty much the same. Tampa-2, but we don't press with the corners. Our LB's blitz while playing zone, leaving huge gaps. I'm thinking that's Chilly's work.

Then you mix in the multiple quotes from Leslie himself saying that he had nothing to do with the scheme tweaks or play calling once he took over as interim HC.
    Yeah, because Fraizer isn't a narcissistic fuck like Childress is.
    In the end, if nothing else comes out of the Chiller firing, the little fact that Leslie isn't messing with the defense anymore gives me solice.
    you keep believing that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast