Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    [size=13pt]Area greats on state's Fame ballot[/size]

    By Brian Herman
    VALLEY INDEPENDENT SPORTS EDITOR
    pittsburghlive.com


    Thursday, March 20, 2008



    Despite retiring 31 years ago, Cox still stands as the Minnesota Vikings' all-time leading scorer with 1,365 points....


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #4
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.

    =Z=
    You know, that is a mentality that I believe is still prevalent.
    Such a shame.

    Funny how a guy that has so much impact on a game isn't recognized because he (they) just kick the ball but let him miss an extra point to tie or a FG to win in the last few seconds and now he is somebody.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.
    You know, that is a mentality that I believe is still prevalent.

    Such a shame.

    Funny how a guy that has so much impact on a game isn't recognized because he (they) just kick the ball but let him miss an extra point to tie or a FG to win in the last few seconds and now he is somebody.

    Kickers and punters have a crucial impact on the game, for sure.
    But so much has to happen - especially for kickers - to get them into position to make the kick.


    Sure, I was being flippant above, but it is the truth.
    As fabulous as Freddy Cox was - where does he line up in the list of Vikings who need to go to the HoF?
    Well behind Mick Tinglehoff, Jim Marshall, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Chuck Foreman, Randall McDaniel, Cris Carter and others.

    I will say this, however - I bet Freddy can walk.
    I wonder if you ask him if he'd trade that for a few extra accolades.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.
    You know, that is a mentality that I believe is still prevalent.

    Such a shame.

    Funny how a guy that has so much impact on a game isn't recognized because he (they) just kick the ball but let him miss an extra point to tie or a FG to win in the last few seconds and now he is somebody.

    Kickers and punters have a crucial impact on the game, for sure.
    But so much has to happen - especially for kickers - to get them into position to make the kick.


    Sure, I was being flippant above, but it is the truth.
    As fabulous as Freddy Cox was - where does he line up in the list of Vikings who need to go to the HoF?
    Well behind Mick Tinglehoff, Jim Marshall, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Chuck Foreman, Randall McDaniel, Cris Carter and others.

    I will say this, however - I bet Freddy can walk.
    I wonder if you ask him if he'd trade that for a few extra accolades.

    =Z=
    A long ways behind them if you believe he had no impact on the games they won (for the players you listed that were on the same teams as Freddy).

    I kindof look at Kickers/Punters along the same lines as how CB's and S's used to be looked at for HOF induction.
    It is a facet of the game that is important and should be recognized.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43463.msg745306#msg745306 date=1206287717]
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.
    You know, that is a mentality that I believe is still prevalent.

    Such a shame.

    Funny how a guy that has so much impact on a game isn't recognized because he (they) just kick the ball but let him miss an extra point to tie or a FG to win in the last few seconds and now he is somebody.

    Kickers and punters have a crucial impact on the game, for sure.
    But so much has to happen - especially for kickers - to get them into position to make the kick.


    Sure, I was being flippant above, but it is the truth.
    As fabulous as Freddy Cox was - where does he line up in the list of Vikings who need to go to the HoF?
    Well behind Mick Tinglehoff, Jim Marshall, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Chuck Foreman, Randall McDaniel, Cris Carter and others.

    I will say this, however - I bet Freddy can walk.
    I wonder if you ask him if he'd trade that for a few extra accolades.
    A long ways behind them if you believe he had no impact on the games they won (for the players you listed that were on the same teams as Freddy).

    I kindof look at Kickers/Punters along the same lines as how CB's and S's used to be looked at for HOF induction.
    It is a facet of the game that is important and should be recognized.
    [/quote]

    Who said that?
    Did I say that?
    Is that what I wrote?
    NO it is not.
    I wrote something about "crucial impact" up above there, bucko.

    Are you suggesting a "Kickers Wing" in the HoF?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=43463.msg745360#msg745360 date=1206292636]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43463.msg745306#msg745306 date=1206287717]
    Hmmm, quick question for all you guys that follow individual (vice team) accolades.
    What has the Vikes org done for Fred.


    Has his number been retired or anything like that?
    Absolutely nothing.

    His number isn't retired & he hasn't even been made a member of the "Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor".

    I don't think he's even ever been considered for the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Fred Cox was a huge part of the early successes of the Vikings.
    However - he was just a kicker.
    You know, that is a mentality that I believe is still prevalent.

    Such a shame.

    Funny how a guy that has so much impact on a game isn't recognized because he (they) just kick the ball but let him miss an extra point to tie or a FG to win in the last few seconds and now he is somebody.

    Kickers and punters have a crucial impact on the game, for sure.
    But so much has to happen - especially for kickers - to get them into position to make the kick.


    Sure, I was being flippant above, but it is the truth.
    As fabulous as Freddy Cox was - where does he line up in the list of Vikings who need to go to the HoF?
    Well behind Mick Tinglehoff, Jim Marshall, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Chuck Foreman, Randall McDaniel, Cris Carter and others.

    I will say this, however - I bet Freddy can walk.
    I wonder if you ask him if he'd trade that for a few extra accolades.
    A long ways behind them if you believe he had no impact on the games they won (for the players you listed that were on the same teams as Freddy).

    I kindof look at Kickers/Punters along the same lines as how CB's and S's used to be looked at for HOF induction.
    It is a facet of the game that is important and should be recognized.
    [/quote]

    Who said that?
    Did I say that?
    Is that what I wrote?
    NO it is not.
    I wrote something about "crucial impact" up above there, bucko.

    Are you suggesting a "Kickers Wing" in the HoF?

    =Z=
    [/quote]
    No were did you say that nor did I accuse you of saying it.
    Read the rest of my post to include the follow-on thought that shaped the idea.



    How quickly you turn hostile when we are only discussing.
    I should have seen it coming when you used the word "Flippant" in your previous post my friend.
    ;D

    And no I'm not suggesting a wing, just consideration.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Fred Cox on 2008 ballot for the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    No were did you say that nor did I accuse you of saying it.
    Read the rest of my post to include the follow-on thought that shaped the idea.



    How quickly you turn hostile when we are only discussing.
    I should have seen it coming when you used the word "Flippant" in your previous post my friend.
    ;D

    And no I'm not suggesting a wing, just consideration.
    I used "flippant" to describe my own comment, I will note.

    I'm not hostile!
    I just want to be accurately represented.

    I'm torn on kickers for accolades and post-career acknowledgement.
    I don't think Freddy Cox deserves to be on the Vikings Ring of Honor, for example, over some of the other players listed.
    My personal ranking scale just gives more weight to "every-down" players.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Similar Threads

  1. 10 Actors who could be in the sports hall of fame
    By midgensa in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
  2. Hall of fame:2013
    By Garland Greene in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 124
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
  4. Who's hall of fame bound
    By Perch56 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
  5. Randall McDaniel on College Football Hall ballot
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 05:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •