Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Ponder wont last too much longer..Frazier is going to save his own ass first

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    To be fair, Spielman wasn't promoted officially to the GM role until 2012, and his two drafts since were pretty damn good. What the selection process was like before 2012 is anyone's guess, but there's no doubting something's changed for the better.
    Here you go............

One of Ponderís strongest proponents has been general manager Rick Spielman, who was instrumental in drafting Ponder to the Vikings.
    Scout.com: Spielman: WRs

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Here you go............

Scout.com: Spielman: WRs
    Thanks, fair enough. That's a terrible pick at #12 overall. Still, the drafts since have been outstanding. So something has changed. Maybe Director of Player Personnel Rick didn't have the freedom of draft day trading that General Manager Rick does.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Ponder just doesn't show any confidence, poise, or general leadership qualities. His accuracy last week was horrible, forcing WRs to make the kind of off balance circus catches that often lead to injuries. Ugly. However, the OL also played a horrible, ugly game, and you have to figure its hard to show confidence or accuracy with 300 lb lineman in your face all game.

Seriously, the OL was so bad last week that even Adrian Peterson couldn't do much. That has to change first. Then maybe we consider QB change...

But, the problem with that is Cassell did not look any better in the preseason games. Really, they both look like career backups to me. So, in my mind, we are stuck with the Ponder for at least a few more games/half of a season or so, to see if he can improve. IF not, we can give Cassell a try but I think it will look much the same. Maybe, we're better off seeing if MBT has any more balls under center!?

If we continue to play like last week, we're looking at a long season to a top-five draft pick. But, hey, at least there are some promising young QBs coming out next spring.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Ponder just doesn't show any confidence, poise, or general leadership qualities. His accuracy last week was horrible, forcing WRs to make the kind of off balance circus catches that often lead to injuries. Ugly. However, the OL also played a horrible, ugly game, and you have to figure its hard to show confidence or accuracy with 300 lb lineman in your face all game.

Seriously, the OL was so bad last week that even Adrian Peterson couldn't do much. That has to change first. Then maybe we consider QB change...

But, the problem with that is Cassell did not look any better in the preseason games. Really, they both look like career backups to me. So, in my mind, we are stuck with the Ponder for at least a few more games/half of a season or so, to see if he can improve. IF not, we can give Cassell a try but I think it will look much the same. Maybe, we're better off seeing if MBT has any more balls under center!?

If we continue to play like last week, we're looking at a long season to a top-five draft pick. But, hey, at least there are some promising young QBs coming out next spring.
    Mountainviking,

Nice comments! On the Ponder issue, I honestly find myself going back and forth. I can certainly understand what the fans are saying, especially when I have Green Bay Packer fans here at work who tell me "you guys need a quarterback". But, if we decide to part ways with Ponder, Musgrave, Frazier, and Spielman, how long does it become before we become relavant as a good football team? My brother wants Cassel to be the QB of the Vikings. But, like you, I'm not sure of the upside of that decision.

As for MBT, he sure looks like he has the arm. But, does he have the accuracy? Sometimes, I feel the Vikings are in a no-win situation at QB.

Frazier's QB approach may have to yield to reality

Punder a wasted pick
    None

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    As for MBT, he sure looks like he has the arm. But, does he have the accuracy? Sometimes, I feel the Vikings are in a no-win situation at QB.
    The Vikings had one of the poorest rated quarterbacks in the NFL last season, so they brought in a veteran to be a backup. The veteran was just as bad.

Why do the Vikings believe that the quarterback position requires anointing a player rather than have competition for the position? This is not Favre or Montana; it is Christian Ponder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12