Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Defenses prepares differently against a rookie QB, than they do a seasoned vet. A rookie is going to get rattled a lot easier than a veteran QB would & DC's know it.
    How could you actually watch McNabb play this season and still make a case that the rookie would get rattled faster than him. Hell, he got rattled and threw a pick 6 on his first play of the year.
    If you take a cookie cutter approach to coaching instead of looking at each situation as unique you are not going to last very long and I doubt GB is a team that would.

You have no idea whether Ponder will get rattled easily or not. He may end up crawling in the fetal position and start sucking his thumb in the third series from all of the pressure but he also might have a clearer head than McNabb and actually look more than 5 yards down the field to find a WR. The Packers have almost zero film on Ponder and if the rush him then yes, they may sack the crap out of him all day long, or he might be elusive enough to escape and hit the TE for a big play.

It means nothing that they announced the start when they did. If it was that simple every team would wait until the end of the week to announce a certain player starting.

Heck, last week against Chicago they announced they were shuffling their OL and benching 2 DB's in their secondary. Considering the final score how much of an advantage do you think that gave us compared to if they would have waited until Friday? If the players do their job it isn't an issue.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    That's what he was supposed to do?

Silly me! I actually believed he was supposed to A) prevent the receiver from catching the ball or B) prevent the receiver from advancing the ball.

And FYI, that is not the only play he got burned on or tackle he's missed.
    See, thats why you keep hacking on him. You don't understand what he is supposed to do in the scheme.

He is supposed to (on a route like that with his S blitzing) keep everything run deep to the inside to help. That is why he bit so hard on the out move, he didn't want Hester to get outside.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries
    Righhhhht! Because the Packers have personnel at Winter Park watching Vikings closed practices.
    Well, if they don't, then how is knowing he is going to start going to help them prepare?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    How could you actually watch McNabb play this season and still make a case that the rookie would get rattled faster than him. Hell, he got rattled and threw a pick 6 on his first play of the year.
    If you take a cookie cutter approach to coaching instead of looking at each situation as unique you are not going to last very long and I doubt GB is a team that would.

You have no idea whether Ponder will get rattled easily or not. He may end up crawling in the fetal position and start sucking his thumb in the third series from all of the pressure but he also might have a clearer head than McNabb and actually look more than 5 yards down the field to find a WR. The Packers have almost zero film on Ponder and if the rush him then yes, they may sack the crap out of him all day long, or he might be elusive enough to escape and hit the TE for a big play.

It means nothing that they announced the start when they did. If it was that simple every team would wait until the end of the week to announce a certain player starting.

Heck, last week against Chicago they announced they were shuffling their OL and benching 2 DB's in their secondary. Considering the final score how much of an advantage do you think that gave us compared to if they would have waited until Friday? If the players do their job it isn't an issue.
    Gotta give you a top shelf on this one my friend.

Been saying it all year, I don't think Ponder is a cat who will get rattled or who will be affected by getting whooped up on in his early starts.

I think this kid not only has the physical tools, but the mental game as well and I am 100% convinced we are going to be extremely happy with his showing this weekend especially if our damn DL can get pressure on Rodgers a few times.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Well, if they don't, then how is knowing he is going to start going to help them prepare?
    They'd prepare like they would for any new rookie QB, bringing blitzes & packages that will rattle & confuse him & try & force him to make rookie mistakes.

Doesn't take film to do that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    See, thats why you keep hacking on him. You don't understand what he is supposed to do in the scheme.

He is supposed to (on a route like that with his S blitzing) keep everything run deep to the inside to help. That is why he bit so hard on the out move, he didn't want Hester to get outside.
    I have to side with you on this one for the play in question. It was his responsibility to pass Hester off to the safety over the top once he got so deep but the Safety was not there. I don't remember the safety blitzing but blowing his assignment and being 5 yards slower than Griff.

Blog Entries
    They'd prepare like they would for any new rookie QB, bringing blitzes & packages that will rattle & confuse him & try & force him to make rookie mistakes.

Well it doesn't take days to plug the packages in either. Heck, I hope they prepared for Newton then because I would love to see Ponder throw for 400+ on Sunday.

I have to side with you on this one for the play in question. It was his responsibility to pass Hester off to the safety over the top once he got so deep but the Safety was not there. I don't remember the safety blitzing but blowing his assignment and being 5 yards slower than Griff.
    Key to the play was for Griff to keep Hester inside long enough for the S to get there on the blitz and for the other S to get over for help if he didn't.

Both S's failed but because everyone seems to think we have shut down corners they hack on the corner for poor play when he actually did exactly what he was supposed to do in the scheme.

Same thing applies to the Saftey on Dnabb. Everyone looks at Sully when in fact he did exactly what he was supposed to do, push the guy into Hutch's gap and then engage the MLB coming on the blitz. Gaff on Hutch, not Sully, again, he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

I'm Pondering why everyone seems to think that all of a sudden the PUKERS are going to come up with some blitz packages that work against a rookie when they haven't been able to get them to work this year? If memory server, didn't a rookie already light them up this year to the tune of something over 400 yards?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Don't confuse McNabb's ineptness with him being rattled. Teams do & will prepare differently against a rookie QB than the do a veteran.

Trying to rattle & confuse a rookie QB may be a cookie cutter approach, but that is still what you try & do. You simply can't blow it off & believe rattling him won't work. There's a reason most teams try & do exactly that.

Will he get rattled & confused? That remains to be seen, but rest assured, they'll try exactly that. You also can't bank on him not getting rattled because he didn't against the Bears who not only are one of the worst teams in the league against the pass & the run, but it was also during garbage time. How many of their starters on defense were even still in there?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast