Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Trouble is, we can't protect well enough for the longer routes without keeping a back or te in to block. Ponder it's struggling getting through his progressions. We need to pass protect first and foremost. When a d can blitz six and not worry about being beat in single coverage before they get to the qb that's a problem with or ol and wr.
    Problem is AD has never been a good pass blocker & I can't for the life of me figure out why our coaches can't teach him to do so. Putting in Gerhart to block (can't honestly say he's better. Anyone?) but that tips off the defenders to say "pass" much like it did with Chester Taylor.

If we need to keep a TE or FB back to protect, then damn it, that's what they should be doing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    [QUOTE=Braddock;1130832]Yeah, the only thing... I wish Percy would step up...[/QU

The majority of Harvins catches have come within three yards of the line of scrimmage. Does that show you confidence by this coaching staff in Ponder?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Les is living in a dream world. The fact of the matter is Ponder has been exposed. Teams study film and find the weakness in the qb play. Teams have found the way to defend Ponder is to take away the flats and the short passing game from him. If you notice Ponder rarely uses the middle of the field. Why? Because he does not have the confidence in his arm to throw in small windows. Teams see this. While yes I was surprised at the start the Vikings had both on offense and defense , this team has been exposed. I see one win on the schedule and that is Detroit at home, AND that is a big if. We are going to see what this coaching staff is made of now. If they are not able to adjust to what defenses are throwing at them it's going to get ugly for this team. And on defense teams have found a way to run the ball. We'll see what these coordinators are made of from this point on. They do have the players to win games but it won't happen unless they change some things. Seattle could be very ugly playing in their place with a very good defense at home. The only games I see us winning are if Peterson can dominate because right now it's the only thing on offense they have going for them
    Thank god we have MBT on our roster and not Sage Rosencopter, I love his arm and hope he can develop into a top tier quarterback. I am not giving up on Ponder as I believe he can become a good nfl quarterback but he will never be a gunslinger that can fit the ball in small windows.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Thank god we have MBT on our roster and not Sage Rosencopter, I love his arm and hope he can develop into a top tier quarterback. I am not giving up on Ponder as I believe he can become a good nfl quarterback but he will never be a gunslinger that can fit the ball in small windows.
    Keep hoping... Why is it that every no name.. no resume QB that finds their way onto our roster... we dream can be an NFL player. The fact remains very few top tier Qbs aren't high draft picks.,

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Keep hoping... Why is it that every no name.. no resume QB that finds their way onto our roster... we dream can be an NFL player. The fact remains very few top tier Qbs aren't high draft picks.,
    There is always a chance, the same chance you have with a first round qb. There has been alot of early round busts also.

The team must of seen some promise in the young man if they gave him a spot on the 53 man roster.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    There is always a chance, the same chance you have with a first round qb. There has been alot of early round busts also.

The team must of seen some promise in the young man if they gave him a spot on the 53 man roster.

I made a thread about this a coupleyears ago, but it simply isn't true.

1st round picks in the past 10 years have a MUCH bigger chance of becoming simply starting calibre players. Not even elite, but starters. To compare, I believe the percentage of picks beyond the 5th round was something like 5%. MBT likely isn't one, same way all our other late round QB's don't become one. But it certainly isn't the same chance.

Of the top 10 greatest QB's (per Denver post) 4 were drafted after the 5th;

Johnny Unitas 10th round

Bart Starr 17th round

Tom Brady 6th round

Roger Roger Staubach 16th round

4 were drafted in the 1st;

Otto Graham

John Elway

Terry Bradshaw

Peyton Manning

With only 7 rounds in today's current draft, I guess that means there are great QB's that never get drafted. LOL!
    Last edited by singersp; 11-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Of the top 10 greatest QB's (per Denver post) 4 were drafted after the 5th;

Johnny Unitas 10th round

Bart Starr 17th round

Tom Brady 6th round

Roger Roger Staubach 16th round*

4 were drafted in the 1st;

Otto Graham

John Elway

Terry Bradshaw

Peyton Manning

With only 7 rounds in today's current draft, I guess that means there are great QB's that never get drafted. LOL!
    I'd think I would go with a more modern era list of guys and look at adding Montana, Kelly, Marino, Farve and Tarkenton. Just not sure how Bart Starr's 126 yards a game would workout in a more modern era....well he might look like Ponder

Staubach was a tenth round pick (pick 129) in the 64 draft because he had to do his military service before joining the Cowboys in 69 so he's a bit of an anomaly
    Last edited by vikinggreg; 11-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I'd think I would go with a more modern era list of guys and look at adding Montana, Kelly, Marino, Farve and Tarkenton. Just not sure how Bart Starr's 126 yards a game would workout in a more modern era....well he might look like Ponder

Staubach was a tenth round pick (pick 129) in the 64 draft because he had to do his military service before joining the Cowboys in 69 so he's a bit of an anomaly
    You're welcome to find that list & post it. I simply went with what one list had for the top 10 greatest ever. Thing is, at some point you need to draw the line of including QB's that are still playing. No way would I include Eli or Rodgers in that modern day list yet.

Montana, Kelly, Marino, Farve and Tarkenton would belong on that list.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It's difficult for our receivers to get open when....
    a) You don't send them beyond the LOS. Why keep them at the LOS to block when they can take a defender with them several yards downfield away from the intended play?
    b) They are all running around within a sea of defenders all within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage.

When a team stacks the box and you keep your receivers within that same box, you shut down our short passing game & limit our run game as well.
    This is exactly what I said during the live game chat. Defenses just stack the box and run blitz. If Peterson gets the rock, they have someone to hit him or change his attack; if Peterson does not get the rock, then it is on to the quarterback. If the Vikings cannot count right on the line or get their blocking scheme in order, they will fail.

The Vikings need more quick slants, skinny posts, deep posts, and crossing routes. They need to keep backs and ends in to block. They need better hot routes that flow into vacated zones. They need more Walsh West Coast and less high school plays. They need to mix this all in and keep the defense guessing. Of course, they need to do this and have a quarterback that can take advantage of it.

What the Vikings do not need is more routes where the receiver runs down five to seven yards and just stands there. With a stacked box, it is one of the easiest routes to defend in football. High school coaches run this pattern to help young quarterbacks that do not have good accuracy. What does that say about Musgrave's faith in Ponder and his receivers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast