Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

Frazier People Around Ponder Have To Play Better

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    When two blitzing players are unblocked within the line, there is is really big problem with line calls and the blocking scheme.

Why do the Vikings block down so often on passing plays? Unless Ponder is rolling, it doesn't make much sense.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    When two blitzing players are unblocked within the line, there is is really big problem with line calls and the blocking scheme.

Why do the Vikings block down so often on passing plays? Unless Ponder is rolling, it doesn't make much sense.
    Les is living in a dream world. The fact of the matter is Ponder has been exposed. Teams study film and find the weakness in the qb play. Teams have found the way to defend Ponder is to take away the flats and the short passing game from him. If you notice Ponder rarely uses the middle of the field. Why? Because he does not have the confidence in his arm to throw in small windows. Teams see this. While yes I was surprised at the start the Vikings had both on offense and defense , this team has been exposed. I see one win on the schedule and that is Detroit at home, AND that is a big if. We are going to see what this coaching staff is made of now. If they are not able to adjust to what defenses are throwing at them it's going to get ugly for this team. And on defense teams have found a way to run the ball. We'll see what these coordinators are made of from this point on. They do have the players to win games but it won't happen unless they change some things. Seattle could be very ugly playing in their place with a very good defense at home. The only games I see us winning are if Peterson can dominate because right now it's the only thing on offense they have going for them

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    if Peterson can dominate because right now it's the only thing on offense they have going for them
    Yeah, the only thing... I wish Percy would step up...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

Tampa is one of the last stunting D Lines in the league so if you were to play them straight up you would have had guys running free at Ponder.

While I think that some of Ponders tendencies have been taken away I think that we have equally shot ourselves in the foot......

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Les is living in a dream world. The fact of the matter is Ponder has been exposed. Teams study film and find the weakness in the qb play. Teams have found the way to defend Ponder is to take away the flats and the short passing game from him. If you notice Ponder rarely uses the middle of the field. Why? Because he does not have the confidence in his arm to throw in small windows. Teams see this. While yes I was surprised at the start the Vikings had both on offense and defense , this team has been exposed. I see one win on the schedule and that is Detroit at home, AND that is a big if. We are going to see what this coaching staff is made of now. If they are not able to adjust to what defenses are throwing at them it's going to get ugly for this team. And on defense teams have found a way to run the ball. We'll see what these coordinators are made of from this point on. They do have the players to win games but it won't happen unless they change some things. Seattle could be very ugly playing in their place with a very good defense at home. The only games I see us winning are if Peterson can dominate because right now it's the only thing on offense they have going for them
    I dont totally disagree but you have to admit that the reason for frustration is the better than anticipated start to the season. If we stay fundamental in our approach and put the ball with Percy and AD we will be fine. I think we are a 7-9 team, which is still an improvement from last year.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It's a little column a) little column b)

Yes, Ponder needs to pick up his game, but it's true. In the games that Ponder has struggled, everyone around him struggled. Remember the Redskins game? Ponder probably cost us the game with those terrible picks. However, remember Rudolph dropping four or more passes that game. Other receivers not named Percy Harvin couldn't get open. Harvin struggled getting open as he was being keyed in on. Our OL isn't making the proper reads and assignments.

It's far beyond Harvin. I'm worried we're seeing our true team. Hopefully it's just a slump, but the realistic answer very well could be that we're not that good.

We need people not named Harvin and AP to step up and take over.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

Yes, Ponder needs to pick up his game, but it's true. In the games that Ponder has struggled, everyone around him struggled. Remember the Redskins game? Ponder probably cost us the game with those terrible picks. However, remember Rudolph dropping four or more passes that game. Other receivers not named Percy Harvin couldn't get open. Harvin struggled getting open as he was being keyed in on. Our OL isn't making the proper reads and assignments.

It's far beyond Harvin. I'm worried we're seeing our true team. Hopefully it's just a slump, but the realistic answer very well could be that we're not that good.

It's difficult for our receivers to get open when....
    a) You don't send them beyond the LOS. Why keep them at the LOS to block when they can take a defender with them several yards downfield away from the intended play?
    b) They are all running around within a sea of defenders all within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage.

When a team stacks the box and you keep your receivers within that same box, you shut down our short passing game & limit our run game as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

a) You don't send them beyond the LOS. Why keep them at the LOS to block when they can take a defender with them several yards downfield away from the intended play?
    b) They are all running around within a sea of defenders all within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage.

When a team stacks the box and you keep your receivers within that same box, you shut down our short passing game & limit our run game as well.
    Trouble is, we can't protect well enough for the longer routes without keeping a back or te in to block. Ponder it's struggling getting through his progressions. We need to pass protect first and foremost. When a d can blitz six and not worry about being beat in single coverage before they get to the qb that's a problem with or ol and wr.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Nice points Singer. Absolutely agree. Right now the biggest problem is traffic. With really no vertical threat, it won't be getting better any time soon.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast