Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frazier Out

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    People can blame the QB situation all they want... we had the 31st ranked defense this year.

Our "Defensive Minded" coach might be a great guy personally, but he is not fit to be the head coach of an NFL team. He was in way over his head.
    Yes, that always seems to get buried behind the QB fiasco.

Frazier is not HC'ing material, especially when surrounded by 3rd tier coordinators. Hard to believe, but Musgrave was probably the best of the bunch.

Is Jay Gruden our next HC? Some NFL blogger is pushing this rumor.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Ponder just one of many problems...

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    People can blame the QB situation all they want... we had the 31st ranked defense this year.

Our "Defensive Minded" coach might be a great guy personally, but he is not fit to be the head coach of an NFL team. He was in way over his head.
    Yes, he didn't draft Ponder, but kept playing him even though it was clear Cassel was better.

He didn't realize Patterson was a player, until the season was over?

21-33-1 in three-plus seasons

Cover two scheme?

He brought in Musgrave and Williams...Terrible coordinators

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I agree Spielman needs to find the right QB, but Spielman was not the GM when ponder was picked, was he? I thought he was just named GM before the 2012 draft. TOA prior to that. I do recall the Vikings making a frantic effort to trade up in the Ponder draft when Gabbert was still Available, but were unable to make it happen. Probably would not have been any different, but Ponder was not their first choice.
    An equally important choice for Spielman is his pick for head coach. It is usually a crap shoot, but I hope he gets it right

Yes, I believe Rick was named GM at the end of the 2011 season.

I think Spielman was a very large part of the Ponder selection, as was Frazier. I think there was consensus that he was the next best candidate available and they were concerned if they passed that they wouldn't have another shot at whom they deemed possible franchise material.

Ponder was the 4th QB chosen at #12, a bit similar to the way this year probably goes down. Hopefully more than one will turn out to be legit this time.

Abe Froman is offline Rookie
    I kind of feel bad for Frazier, but there is no point in continuing this disaster. Someone has to be out. While I can't fault the guy for trying to improve his lot in life, but he really should have never been hired as a HC in the first place. I never minded him as a DC. If we were going to promote someone Bevell seems now like the better choice. Hindsight is f'd up like that, and given how handcuffed we seemed to be to Ponder, Idk that he would've really been all that much better. Good luck to Leslie in the future. Hope he finds a landing spot as a defensive coach somewhere.
    Trying out some new forums since I got my ip banned on Purple Chat 2 weeks ago...

VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Rick should be next!
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Outside of Dallas, I find it hard to believe that the HC isn't heavily involved in the selection of a QB in the draft.

Frazier had a number of quotes when Ponder was selected saying why they thought he was the right choice for MN. I realize he had to be positive, but I also believe he bought into him being the right choice.

However, the hire is ultimately Spielman's and he needs to be held accountable more than anyone else. Since Rick is still here, hopefully he can surround himself with the right personnel to make sure they get it right next time. I don't think anyone expects Spielman to be a QB guru (or any GM), but he is responsible for putting together the team to identify the right QB. Frazier was one of those guys in the past, he didn't help.
    The draft is one thing but there are also the FA guys that were brought in as well such as Mcnabb, Cassel and Freeman.

If you feel it was frazier who was in charge of bringing in those guys then yeah, as Marty would say- Fire his ass. But, if it was Spielman who was pushing for those guys and they failed then his head should be gone. Aw hell, he should be gone anyway. Wilf should just dump the whole damn bunch of them, cut all ties and start over so there is no debate going forward about who was at fault.

In the end if it was Spielman bringing in guys like cassel and freeman and Frazier refused to play them in favor of Ponder without a fair competition then Frazier should be fired for incompetence and Spielman should be fired for backing that incompetence at the beginning when he could have snuffed it.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Frazier Out

We will be playing at a college football field for the next two season no QB and a screwed up defense the vikings need to throw the bank at a coach to draw him here

singersp is online now PPO Newshound
    Leslie Frazier 'a class act,' Jon Gruden says

Vikings: Leslie Frazier 'a class act,' Jon Gruden says - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Again the Vikings solve nothing. They keep a GM that has proven no where in his career that he is cabable of building a championship team. We needed to get rid of the whole group and bring in a new GM that has clout and start over. Of course the Wilfs fuked that up because that's what they do. Now because of all the bad pub about them hiring coaches to quickly they will sit back and let the good ones get gobbled up so they don't look desperate.. The Minnesota Viking organization since the 70S... ONE BIG TOTAL CLUSTERFUK.............
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Frazier does seem to be a great guy and a good friend, and he did keep the team motivated and focused despite a 1-7 record and many of their best players injured. Finishing 4-3-1 against playoff competition was pretty impressive given how we started and how many guys we were missing. We could certainly do worse than Leslie at head coach, and unfortunately, likely will at some point down the road.

But, there were definitely times during that 1-7 stretch where we just seemed to lack any fire, and really needed a leader to step forward and demand more of this team. But, most importantly, it is not ye ole NFL anymore. Too many rules have changed. Yes, I still believe a balanced team has the best chance in the playoffs, but in today's game, you have to be able to huck the damn ball downfield far and regularly if not often. I am completely convinced that Belicheat and Brady have a play that involves "let's just try and pull a flag-first down!?"

The Cover-2 no longer works because a big part of it's success was predicated on big hits timed just right to dislodge the ball from the receiver and/or make them think twice about catching the next one. Those types of hits are now illegal. The DBs have to be able to play the ball, because they are still allowed to hit the ball, and that fits better with man coverage than zone. In short, new schemes are definitely necessary for sustained success.

But don't think this is a terrible team that no one wants to coach either. We still have one of if not the best RBs in the NFL, a very good TE, and finally, some serious potential at WR. The OL even looked decent once Cassel came in, and he proved that even a below average QB can win games with this bunch. And while yes our Defense let up way too many big plays, those oops usually happened after they had secured several stops and the offense was too inept to give them more than a 3 down break.

Good new schemes, better QB play, and some more youth/upgrades on defense, and this team just might compete for the Black-N-Blue division as soon as next season. SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I like Jay Gruden as a possibility. Not big on the offensive coordinators of SEA or DEN. I kinda like Jack Del Rio, he has experience, personal ties and has always ran a solid defense. We just have to get him a decent QB and perhaps even force him to work with a little bit new-school offensive guy, possibly from the college ranks.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast