Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Frazier - Our Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1104962
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1104937
    I remember several fans thinking highly of Childress too. Here's one of them;

Quote Originally Posted by "mr.woo" #289133
    saaaaweeeeeet

geting brad is one of the best things that can happen
    Jury's still out for me. If he rests our starters in the final preseason game like clueless did, he'll move to the negative side of the Frazier meter instantly.

Some people are expecting SB out him this year. Great expectations usually leads to great disappointments. Being Vikings fans for years has taught us that.

Show me something on the field to get me excited about our chances. Show me you have your team motivated, enthused to play & giving 100% out on the field of play. Then I'll sing you praises.
    Mr. Woo wasn't the only one. I read through the original thread when he was hired. There was many a PPO poster that was ecstatic by his signing. There was also a glowing endorsement by Bud Grant.

Now one year later, after going 6-10, it was a different story.

A Childress quote from one of his first presser's after being announced:

"There are a lot of different ways to win a football game," Childress says. "You have to be open-minded. Innovate and adjust, play to the tools you have. We've done that here. We have different personnel now than we had in the past. You need to utilize what you have."
    Just saying.
    I know Mr. Woo wasn't the only one, that is why I said several.

He didn't really play to the tools he had other than trying to pound the ball with AD. He forced the OL to learn a complicated scheme that didn't fit. He forced our DB's to play his scheme & handcuffed them & then wondered why they didn't play as greatly as they did before he forced a new scheme down their throat. He forbid or extremely limited the calling of audibles by all his QB's & even tried to do it with Favre. Good thing Favre ignored him for the most part.

He really never accomplished what he set out to do. One his first pressers was about how "it all starts up front" & he vowed to make that his top priority & fix our OL issues. He did add Hutch, but still failed.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

How did this turn into a Chiller thread?

Marrdro's thoughts:
    I am still not sure it I am 100% behind this decision. Not because I have anything against coach Frazier as I kindof like him for what he is. Problem is, I just can't get over a few things:

1. His previous track record when it comes to interviewing for other HC'ing positions. Several teams turned him down because he didn't meet their criteria. Question stands, has he fixed those issues or do the Vikings have a different set of criteria from those other teams when it comes to who they want as their their HC.

2. The difference we saw in the defense when he was promoted and Pagac took over. Why was he not able to get that kindof production out of the same defensive players that Pagac had? If he couldn't maximize the potential of those players that are in his area of expertise (defense) why do we think he will be able to get it out of the whole team especially in areas (Offense/ST's) that aren't quite his forte?

3. He was only given a 3 year deal

Long story short, I wish coach Frazier the best. I hope he proves me wrong and really gets the most out of the players he is given but for now, I believe he is nothing more than a bandaid solution that the Wilfs could put on the roster that wouldn't irritate the fanbase or the players. As soon as they get their revenue issues straightened out I think coach Frazier will be let loose.

Coaching Staff Breakdown

About the only thing I will change or add to this is that I don't like the addition of Musgrove. Cat has failed at every attempt at being a O-coord before. I am sure I missed something they didn't but I'm not sure why Leslie (and the staff) feel he will suceed this time.

I do like what I'm hearing about things like practice schedules that the coaching staff is following to get the players ready. Going to be interesting to see how many of the "Padded" workouts they use in camp vs how many they save for regular season practices.

In short, I still like Coach Frazier and wish him all the best and I hope above all hope that I'm wrong about him.

I'm just not so sure there weren't better candidates out there. IMHO the right move by the Wilfs should have been to hire a true GM and let him/her hire the HC and completely do away with the Triadthingamajib.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105010
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1104962
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1104937
    I remember several fans thinking highly of Childress too. Here's one of them;

Quote Originally Posted by "mr.woo" #289133
    saaaaweeeeeet

geting brad is one of the best things that can happen
    Jury's still out for me. If he rests our starters in the final preseason game like clueless did, he'll move to the negative side of the Frazier meter instantly.

Some people are expecting SB out him this year. Great expectations usually leads to great disappointments. Being Vikings fans for years has taught us that.

Show me something on the field to get me excited about our chances. Show me you have your team motivated, enthused to play & giving 100% out on the field of play. Then I'll sing you praises.
    Mr. Woo wasn't the only one. I read through the original thread when he was hired. There was many a PPO poster that was ecstatic by his signing. There was also a glowing endorsement by Bud Grant.

Now one year later, after going 6-10, it was a different story.

A Childress quote from one of his first presser's after being announced:

"There are a lot of different ways to win a football game," Childress says. "You have to be open-minded. Innovate and adjust, play to the tools you have. We've done that here. We have different personnel now than we had in the past. You need to utilize what you have."
    Just saying.
    I know Mr. Woo wasn't the only one, that is why I said several.

He didn't really play to the tools he had other than trying to pound the ball with AD. He forced the OL to learn a complicated scheme that didn't fit. He forced our DB's to play his scheme & handcuffed them & then wondered why they didn't play as greatly as they did before he forced a new scheme down their throat. He forbid or extremely limited the calling of audibles by all his QB's & even tried to do it with Favre. Good thing Favre ignored him for the most part.

He really never accomplished what he set out to do. One his first pressers was about how "it all starts up front" & he vowed to make that his top priority & fix our OL issues. He did add Hutch, but still failed.
    I was agreeing with you and adding to your point that you shouldn't pay a lot of attention to the words coming out of a new coach's mouth. Let the actions and results speak for themselves. There will be many changes in their approach/philosophy as they get more experience.

I think Floyd may have it right. Chilly came in with the right idea, but after frequenting PPO and getting pounded by marrdro on system vs. player, he went back and changed his philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1105086
    I think Floyd may have it right. Chilly came in with the right idea, but after frequenting PPO and getting pounded by marrdro on system vs. player, he went back and changed his philosophy.
    He may have come in with the right idea, but offensively didn't have the smarts to teach it. Had he actually hired an OC that knew how to successfully run an offense, rather than try to run it himself, his way to prove his worth to Reid & hire a buddy to hold the OC clipboard, he might have been more successful.

IMO, he tried to play a live action Madden Football game, where he controlled every play of our QB's rather than let them think for themselves & react accordingly.

Favre knew he was an idiot. Moss knew he was an idiot. Winfield & Birk new it & I'm sure several players felt the same way but never voiced their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1105045
    How did this turn into a Chiller thread?
    Someone said the "C" word.

Just be grateful it didn't urn into a Moss, TJ, Favre or McNabb vs Ponder thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12