Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: The Franchise Tag

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingsTw link=topic=50529.msg907181#msg907181 date=1234383050]
    LoL, the franchise tag on Birk or Sharper? I guess this simply comes down to how good you think those players are, I for one know that I would not trade for either one at this point in their carears. We would then be stuck with a highly overpayed salary.

We don't need to use the Franchise tag because players that are apart of our future team are signed before it even comes to that.
    +1

Especially Sharper.
    He is not worth that kind of money.
    I would like to see Birk stay, but I am at odds as to whether he is worth that money as well.

But Sharper?
    LMFAO!
    I never said to use the franchise tag on Sharper, I mentioned him because he is 1 of our top FAs and many people want him
    to stay. However, my post clearly only mentions
    Birk!
    They've been good to us, and deserve the freedom to pursue other options this off season if they so choose.

We'd be overpaying two players at the end of their careers if we tagged them.
    I think Birk will get 20 million over 3 season.
    Sharper will command a 3 million a year salary 16 guareenteed.

I thnk we would be over paying for Birk slightly...but we would still have a darn good center on roster.
    you pay that money for birk and you'd no longer have a job!!...

that's 7mil a year...

he's worth more like 2-3 a year with about 4-5 guaranteed...

sharper is not even worth re-signing at anything above 2mil a year
    [/quote]

As with any Center (or Guard for that matter), here is the issue with Tagging Birk: he counts as an Offensive Lineman.
    Birk was one of the higer paid C's in the league at $5.72M last year.
    The rule on Franchise Tags is top 5 average salaries at that position for the coming year OR 20% increase of the player tagged from his salary from the previous year, which ever is greater.
    120% of Birk's
    last year salary would be $6.86M this year.
    Pretty pricey.

However
    being as he is lumped in the OL classification, they take OT into consideration as well when coming up with the Tag number.
    This year to tag Birk would cost us $8.45M.
    The second Birk signs his Franchise Tender... that $$ is guaranteed.

Don't count on Birk being franchised.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Is that something you guys think we would use on Taylor after next year? Winfield is also a FA next year.
    I actually think Taylor will stay a Viking. He seems to like it here and his role... Hopefully he and Peterson have a 65-35 split in carries and touches.
    I totally disagree.
    I think if we don't give him more touches etc. he is gone.
    Unless we do use the franchise tag.
    He believes he is a #1 which he is, he has just been unlucky in his career to be behind guys like Jamal Lewis and Adrian Peterson.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=50529.msg907182#msg907182 date=1234383391]
    LoL, the franchise tag on Birk or Sharper? I guess this simply comes down to how good you think those players are, I for one know that I would not trade for either one at this point in their carears. We would then be stuck with a highly overpayed salary.

We don't need to use the Franchise tag because players that are apart of our future team are signed before it even comes to that.
    +1

Especially Sharper.
    I would like to see Birk stay, but I am at odds as to whether he is worth that money as well.

But Sharper?
    LMFAO!
    I never said to use the franchise tag on Sharper, I mentioned him because he is 1 of our top FAs and many people want him
    Birk!
    They've been good to us, and deserve the freedom to pursue other options this off season if they so choose.

I thnk we would be over paying for Birk slightly...but we would still have a darn good center on roster.
    you pay that money for birk and you'd no longer have a job!!...

that's 7mil a year...

he's worth more like 2-3 a year with about 4-5 guaranteed...

sharper is not even worth re-signing at anything above 2mil a year
    [/quote]

As with any Center (or Guard for that matter), here is the issue with Tagging Birk: he counts as an Offensive Lineman.
    Birk was one of the higer paid C's in the league at $5.72M last year.
    The rule on Franchise Tags is top 5 average salaries at that position for the coming year OR 20% increase of the player tagged from his salary from the previous year, which ever is greater.
    120% of Birk's
    last year salary would be $6.86M this year.
    Pretty pricey.

However
    being as he is lumped in the OL classification, they take OT into consideration as well when coming up with the Tag number.
    This year to tag Birk would cost us $8.45M.
    The second Birk signs his Franchise Tender... that $$ is guaranteed.

Don't count on Birk being franchised.

[/quote]He would be overpaid, but if they don't have a suitable replacement and need him for 1 more year then it is not that bad. The other option is to give him a longer term deal that he wants, say 4 years 25 million. In that case you pay him less this year but are stuck with him for the next 4, even if he doesn't perform well.
    Obviously it depends on a lot of things but this ownership has shown a willingness to spend money to put together the best team possible. If they have the cap room and they think Birk would be better than anyone else they could get, they might still do it.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Birk is History Period.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Birk is History Period.
    maybe.

Maybe for you but not me.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

+1

Especially Sharper.

But Sharper?
    LMFAO!
    Birk!

20 over 3 seasons?
    Are you serious?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Nope, their serious big time Birk fans.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

+1

Especially Sharper.

But Sharper?
    LMFAO!
    Birk!

20 over 3 seasons?
    Are you serious?
    [/quote]

Yes... Something like

10 million signing bonus
    and 10 over 3 years... Does that sound crazy. It's proably too low.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=50529.msg907182#msg907182 date=1234383391]

+1

Especially Sharper.

But Sharper?
    LMFAO!
    Birk!

20 over 3 seasons?
    Are you serious?
    [/quote]

Yes... Something like

10 million signing bonus
    and 10 over 3 years... Does that sound crazy. It's proably too low.

[/quote]

it's official!!.. You've lost yur mind and ALL credibility.... $20 mill for Birk?... are you NUTZ!!!!
    Chilly and Birk dont get along... he's as good as gone.. and no way he's worth $10mill guaranteed!!... NO WAY!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast