Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Fran "da man" didnt make the top ten list of ESPN

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    I will say this....I think Fran probably should be on the list, though I didn't see the list and don't know who else was on it.

One problem is that Fran played in the 70's, and really, the 80's were kind of the glory years where football kind of reinvented itself as entertainment as well as sport.

Also, most people 40 and younger never saw him play, and that's an increasingly larger number of media workers.

So, in some way, the 70's kind of get lumped into "historical teams", a bunch of black and white movie clips featuring players in leather helmets. I know that isn't true, but you're right...there's going to be less and less respect for players who played in the 70's, simply because fewer and fewer people saw games during that period.

Fran was the 70's version of Jim Kelly. It's just more people remember Jim Kelly playing.
    I never thought of it that way. Sive Kelly is in our more recent memory, that is why he is on there as opposed to Fran.

TARK10 is offline Waterboy

Hello Viking fans. I am a fifty year old twenty three year Viking fan. I grew up in NY and saw Fran play when he was still a Giant. When he was traded back to Minnesota, my allegiance followed. I have worn the purple shirt to games in Tampa 76, Miami 79, Houston 86, Kansas City 99, and most recently here in Houston in 2004. I pose this question. ESPN has a great series called Sportscentury. They have profiled many great athletes over the years, yet Tarkenton has has always been overlooked. He has always been my favorite football player. I just found your website recently and look forward to being an active member. My wife and I may fly to Minnesota for a game in 2005. For a 50 year old fan of 23 years, this would surely be a dream come true. Any comments on Sportscentury and can we E mail them regarding a show on Tarkenton...

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Fran should be on any list far as I,m concerned.He was the prototype for todays mobile quarterbacks.Only better...
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    I will say this....I think Fran probably should be on the list, though I didn't see the list and don't know who else was on it.

One problem is that Fran played in the 70's, and really, the 80's were kind of the glory years where football kind of reinvented itself as entertainment as well as sport.

Also, most people 40 and younger never saw him play, and that's an increasingly larger number of media workers.

So, in some way, the 70's kind of get lumped into "historical teams", a bunch of black and white movie clips featuring players in leather helmets. I know that isn't true, but you're right...there's going to be less and less respect for players who played in the 70's, simply because fewer and fewer people saw games during that period.

Fran was the 70's version of Jim Kelly. It's just more people remember Jim Kelly playing.
    I never thought of it that way. Since Kelly is in our more recent memory, that is why he is on there as opposed to Fran.

"TARK10" wrote:
    Hello Viking fans. I am a fifty year old twenty three year Viking fan. I grew up in NY and saw Fran play when he was still a Giant. When he was traded back to Minnesota, my allegiance followed. I have worn the purple shirt to games in Tampa 76, Miami 79, Houston 86, Kansas City 99, and most recently here in Houston in 2004. I pose this question. ESPN has a great series called Sportscentury. They have profiled many great athletes over the years, yet Tarkenton has has always been overlooked. He has always been my favorite football player. I just found your website recently and look forward to being an active member. My wife and I may fly to Minnesota for a game in 2005. For a 50 year old fan of 23 years, this would surely be a dream come true. Any comments on Sportscentury and can we E mail them regarding a show on Tarkenton...
    Welcome to the site Tark10. Go here and get your free beer! http://www.purplepride.org/skol/viewforum.php?f=31
    Start a New Topic!

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    ESPN = Viking hatin', Favre asskissin' media whores
    True dat.
    Yes, just look at the pro bowl. Mcnabb starts instead of Culpepper. Pep had by far superior stats.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12